Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Jun 11, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #1,051 of 1,448
Quote:
That is stuff for the sound science forum.

Yeah, or it will just go on and on...and on.

Quote:
As far as the s/p dif - that is an optical line out that uses your dac in your receiver or external dac. If you want to use the dac in the fostex to an amplifier then use the line out plug to your amp.

Thanks, I was using optical, now I will try another cable from the line out.

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #1,052 of 1,448
Quote:
Yeah, or it will just go on and on...and on.

Thanks, I was using optical, now I will try another cable from the line out.

Something like : 
deadhorse.gif

Now you know how to use HP-P1 DAC as the source for HiFiM8. Don't forget to use a special highest quality interconnect.

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #1,054 of 1,448
Didn't mean to open a can of worms. I know that in theory digital cables should not sound different but based on my experience, they do. I hear differences in 3rd-party IEM cables too. If others claim to hear a difference, I'm pretty sure I will too. 
wink.gif

Now, I have another question. I've been reading that the iPod Classic won't play anything higher than 16/44 files (or it just resamples anything higher on the fly). Is this a limitation of the internal DAC? Will 24/192 or similar play untouched using the HP-P1?

I don't have any equipment that can tell me what bitrate/sample rate it comes out as. Anyone?

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #1,055 of 1,448
Quote:
Didn't mean to open a can of worms. I know that in theory digital cables should not sound different but based on my experience, they do. I hear differences in 3rd-party IEM cables too. If others claim to hear a difference, I'm pretty sure I will too. 
wink.gif

for the sake of adding my can of worms also, lol, I hear you, I have also had first hand experience wih hearing some big differences with usb connectors, for just a data cable it really shouldn't make a whole lot of difference? but it does,

I tried a higher end usb connector, it was for the HP-P1, and it sounded really aweful, scratchy and lifeless, so I switched to the iPods connector and with just that, wow what a difference it made, I now use a custom all silver usb connector and it plays awefully nice with the rest of my gear! happy camper am I,

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #1,056 of 1,448
There will apparently be no end to "Cable Wars"  I love my Toxic Cable's Silver Poison LOD.....
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #1,058 of 1,448
Quote:
Quote:
There will apparently be no end to "Cable Wars"  I love my Toxic Cable's Silver Poison LOD.....
biggrin.gif

Hi longbowbbs
How is the SQ from your Toxic Silver Poison Lod ?
Do you have picture ? Please post it hear
How much cost your Toxic Silver Poison Lod ?

Rudi, The LOD ran about $150 USD. It has a smoother sound with much more open top end than the stock cable. 

This was a sample piece that Frank was testing. He offered it to me for a nice price. The current ones are a bit more finished and have the Toxic labeled shrink wrap. Think of this cable as a Beta unit.

Jun 12, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #1,059 of 1,448
The only improvement I had was greater transparency, and it was minor. However I also like the quality of the cable manufacture. I'm keen for impressions on the Furutech ADL Lightning to USB A cable they are releasing soon. 

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #1,060 of 1,448
My Fostex HP P1 as Master Piece DAC

Source : iPhone 4 S as transport
Dac : Fostex HP P1 as pure DAC
amp : Wagnus Japan
Cable : Wagnus mini to mini rare item made in Japan
Wire World mini to mini rare item made in Japan

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #1,062 of 1,448
Quote:
However I also like the quality of the cable manufacture.

Which is something we can agree on :wink:
But to close the can of worms before they kill any worthy discussion: Everyone's free to spend money on whatever they believe will help them in their search for better sound. Nevertheless I'm absolutely sure that USB cables are the least of my problems in that regard.

Which is not to say that I don't appreciate the beauty of a precisely manufactured cable with solid connectors. And there is always a lower limit on build quality that one should keep away from -- the overall experience should be consistent, i.e. a cheap plastic connector on an amp costing several hundred of thousand EURs is a sacrilege in itself. But above the physically capable configuration just comes superior visual experience (which in itself is quite powerful).

BTT: just received my HP-P1 yesterday. While its a pity that one cannot use it as a DAC/amp with a computer its a very nice complement to my iPhone and works with the Lightning connector without any problems. Interesting sidenote: it drives the TH600 with quite some authority even on the lowest gain level while the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII seems to struggle a bit with that same headphone.

My only gripes so far are with the edges being a bit sharp and the headphone jack being to close to the volume knob.

Jun 13, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #1,065 of 1,448

Users who are viewing this thread

Back