Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Mar 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #361 of 1,448
AFAIUI, it's not so much the HP-P1 that can't handle 24bit, but the iPods that can't output it. If you look at the spec sheet for the AKM DAC from their official website, it can handle anything high rez that you throw at it, including DSD.

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #362 of 1,448

Quote:
AFAIUI, it's not so much the HP-P1 that can't handle 24bit, but the iPods that can't output it. If you look at the spec sheet for the AKM DAC from their official website, it can handle anything high rez that you throw at it, including DSD.

iPhone and iTouch can handle 24-bit FLAC via apps like FLAC Player and I believe it's been confirmed on this thread that the HP-P1 does handle them, but it was not confirmed whether it is downsampling them at all.  Speculation, as I understood it, was that it was not.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #363 of 1,448
Oh, it was my understanding that the FLAC Player would play those 24 bit files but down-sample them before passing them over USB to the HP-P1. Some Asian forum had posted some tests IIRC.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #364 of 1,448
Question for those who own the HP-P1.  I'm thinking of buying it, but I'm concerned about carrying it around.  My iPhone is in my pocket, and I don't think the HP-P1 will fit in my pocket with the iPhone. I'm planning on using silicone bands to hold it to the iPhone.  Do people use a bag, case, or belt clip while walking around with it?

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #366 of 1,448
 I currently use the Headroom Gigabag with my iPod classic and HP-P1. I've used the Gigabag for years with a variety of portable headphone amps. It all fits in snugly and securely and there is easy access to both components. To me it would be too bulky to fit in my pockets.

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #367 of 1,448
Check out the case that I found for it, fits like a glove, very happy with the case: http://www.head-fi.org/t/597926/cases-for-a-fostex-hp-p1-based-portable-rig

UPDATE ON HP-P1: Burnt in???

I have no idea how many hours I've put through it, safe to say about 4-8 hours everyday since I got it, but in the last week I've noticed a change in my HP-P1. It's significant enough to write about it here because I'm actually quite surprised that 1) there is a change and 2) the change is quite significant.

There is much more bass. I mean at least 20% more in terms magnitude. Everything else has not changed as far as I've heard, highs are still airy and sweet, mids are still full and instrument separation is fantastic. But he bass has increased in volume and amount. It's still tight, fast and not at all booming or muddy, there's just more slam and impact. 

My theories are that it could be a combination of things:

Firstly perhaps it has now burnt in. I've not really believed in burn in and always thought that even if it did make a difference it was probably minimal (<5% difference) and it would happen gradually over a long period of time. But 20% is huge! and it's happened in the past 2 weeks or less, which is to me, quite sudden.

Secondly my ears may be burned in lol! by that I mean I am used to the sound?

Thirdly fit is finally right? especially with the Comply P series foams that I'm now using. There was a marked step up in bass quantity with the P series foams over the regular Shure olives. Worthy upgrade.

Also I recently bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT1350's and the bass on those are fantastic. They are 80ohms so I have to turn the volume up considerably higher than the Shure's so maybe that accelerated the burn in quicker? no idea?

How I noticed was this: I played my usual rotation of reference albums and noticed that the DT1350 has considerably more bass. Then I went back to my shures to play the same tracks and was completely surprised that the same bass is still present! These are the same tracks I've listened to a 1000 times and the bass is not like I've ever heard it before.

Anyway all said and done I really like the sound now. Before I thought that, although good, the bass was lacking slightly. Now I think it's perfect and very close if not the same as the RSA sound that I really like. If it's all in my head then so be it! Who cares, I am happy!

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #369 of 1,448

Quote:
I cannot comment on your specific change but amp capacitors definitely do burn in - no stretch of faith necessary.

I am sure it does, what I didn't believe or understand was how much of a change they would make to sound quality. I've tested it again and I am sure there is more there than before so I am chuffed

May 2, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #373 of 1,448
Quote:
About ready to pull the trigger on this one. The best deal I've been able to find is from Sweetwater. Is there a good chance the unit I get will have the latest firmware installed?

Depends on many things. If the unit has come from Japan recently (within the last 3 months or so) then it's a good chance it has had the firmware updated at the factory.

May 3, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #375 of 1,448
Not sure about IE80, single dynamic driver just doesn't appeal to me. Seems overly expensive for a single driver to me and I have a feeling that they carry the Sennheiser house sound which I am not a big fan off personally. It all depends on what genre you listen to but IMHO multiple BA drivers are better all round.

Make sure you trial/research the other very popular choices in this price range: the Shure SE535 ltd and Westone 4Rs. Both have 3 or 4 BA (Balanced Armature) drivers per ear. Both have the added advantage of disconnectable/replaceable cables (I would not buy another IEM with non-detachable cable. It's too much of a liability!)

I personally have the SE535 Ltd and with custom cabling they are very very good. The shures are extremely transparent and shows the Fostex's true colours. Source material becomes very important. PM me if you want more info on my opinion on this subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back