Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
May 2, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #1,276 of 1,448
Thank You so much for the hint to reset the iPod (in my case) when hearing clicking noises from the HP-P1!!!:):):)

I had no idea why they suddenly started and had already tried out various cables, because a year ago I had strange clicking noises which resulted from a broken cable.

Otherwise nice review. I'm still claiming that I'm loving the HP for its DAC and believe that I hear a bid difference when using it just as amplifier...:cool:

Jun 1, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #1,277 of 1,448
Question for HP-P1 owners. I really don't remember because i have several players so here is my question. I seem to remember that the battery in the iPod and iPhone charge when plugged into this. When my HP-P1 is plugged into the wall it does charge the iPhone as long as the Hp-p1 is turned on but when not plugged into the wall the charging symbol comes on briefly on iphone/ipod and then turns off, leaving the phone or iPod to run on there own power.  So it only charges the iPhone/ipod when HP-P1 is getting external power. Is that right? I thought the HP-P1 charged the iPhone/ipod always when it was on and connected. 

Can any of you check that?

Jun 1, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #1,278 of 1,448
  Question for HP-P1 owners. I really don't remember because i have several players so here is my question. I seem to remember that the battery in the iPod and iPhone charge when plugged into this. When my HP-P1 is plugged into the wall it does charge the iPhone as long as the Hp-p1 is turned on but when not plugged into the wall the charging symbol comes on briefly on iphone/ipod and then turns off, leaving the phone or iPod to run on there own power.  So it only charges the iPhone/ipod when HP-P1 is getting external power. Is that right? I thought the HP-P1 charged the iPhone/ipod always when it was on and connected. 

I've been monitoring this on mine. If the HP-P1 is off it drains the iDevice. When the HP-P1 is on it charges the iDevice. Connected to USB power or not. I'm not 100% sure as my HP-P1 is always connected to USB power.

I do know that when not under USB power, the HP-P1 runs out of juice faster than the iDevice and it repeated connects to the iDevice.

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #1,280 of 1,448
Hi,
No, as far as I remember, the HP-P1 was not intended to charge iDevices when running in battery mode. Mine never did. The iDevice just shows a short flash 'connected'.

On the other hand, thanks for the tip that you may charge via the HP, never tried to do so.

Btw. battery time of my HP is three times as long as my iPod touch.

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #1,285 of 1,448
Hi everyone!
Who uses Fostex and bid, please let us know equalizer on the player affect the sound during playback? It works for me. Is that the way it should be? Indeed, in this case, the player must play the role of transport and throw DAC Fostex HP-p1? In addition, foreign applications on my iPod is clearly louder than standard.
PS Sorry for my clumsy handling, I used Google Translator

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #1,286 of 1,448
Hi everyone! After years of rocking the HP P1, I just realise that, the sound is more dynamic and a bit brighter, if you feed it with iPod Touch or iPhone. While feeding it with iPod Classic, it sound weightier with black background and less bright. Anyone experience this? Is this one of those solid state vs HDD thing?

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #1,287 of 1,448
Hi everyone! After years of rocking the HP P1, I just realise that, the sound is more dynamic and a bit brighter, if you feed it with iPod Touch or iPhone. While feeding it with iPod Classic, it sound weightier with black background and less bright. Anyone experience this? Is this one of those solid state vs HDD thing?

This SQ different is because iPhone and iPod Clasic and iPod touch are different

Sep 4, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #1,288 of 1,448

Hi dallan
How are you
Hp p 1 during playback is not charge our IDevice
I never use as charger like you done connect to wall ward , because can shorten your battery life

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #1,289 of 1,448
my hp-p1's battery life is now worse. it'll only run for about half an hour. but when it's connected it'll run longer. probably about an hour or two but it'll still run out of battery even when plugged in. having a fostex and being located in a country without a distributor is really frustrating since i can't have it repaired. tried contacting the distributor and they said battery replacement cost about 50 dollars. i even said i can just order the battery and have my guys solder the new one but shipping and processing fees are a bit expensive.

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #1,290 of 1,448
  my hp-p1's battery life is now worse. it'll only run for about half an hour. but when it's connected it'll run longer. probably about an hour or two but it'll still run out of battery even when plugged in. having a fostex and being located in a country without a distributor is really frustrating since i can't have it repaired. tried contacting the distributor and they said battery replacement cost about 50 dollars. i even said i can just order the battery and have my guys solder the new one but shipping and processing fees are a bit expensive.

I would have your local guys open it and see what the battery is. I am sure they can find a suitable replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back