Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Mar 29, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #1,246 of 1,448
Slick idea! Nicely done.

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #1,247 of 1,448
I'm using this. It is the smallest footprint you can find. The bottom is a solid thin piece so you can use an exacto knife to cut the holes to get to the plugs or do what I did and cut the whole piece away. The later method will not make the case any less sturdy.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #1,248 of 1,448
HP-P1 still on top of the game. 
deadhorse.gif

I think I'm the only person who uses the supplied carry bag , though it's only occasional. Widely detested.

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #1,249 of 1,448
deadhorse.gif

I think I'm the only person who uses the supplied carry bag , though it's only occasional. Widely detested.

It is like a bag of velcro exploded....

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #1,250 of 1,448
I am thinking about upgrading or selling my fostex hp-p1 if i upgrade it will be  with a dedicated amp like the Ko Jo Seiko- however as i live in England there are no places to test this piece of equipment out. How much of an improvement will this make to my craft. I am currently running my fostex with fururtech cable and a pair of reliable dt1350s playing only lossless audio through ipod. If it is a night and day difference i might take a gamble and purchase one from Japan. There do not seem to be many people that are pairing the hp-p1 with the Ko-jo or at least not hailing the praises of it's improvement. Is Hp-p1 really dead or will new amp and phones or iems breath new life. Sorry for the longwinded first post. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Much love to you all from England!

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #1,251 of 1,448
An interesting amp option to pair the HP-P1 with would of course be the HP-V1... which offers a slightly differend characteristic and a bit more power. Also stacks very nice (V1 is the one in the middle):

Nevertheless I think that the DT1350 is adequately powered by the P1 alone.

Apr 3, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #1,252 of 1,448
I have always been very impressed with the set up. for 18 months the hpp1 and dt1350's have been my go to mobile disco. i love the neutral sound they produce and they can sing with anything from jazz to techno. I just think it is good to keep moving forward, something for the evening/weekend, some headphones that require a little bit more power to drive with a nice external amp or a pair of top of the range iems. Just want a bit of variety. Like buying a new pair of shoes init. Gotta keep pushing the envelope otherwise things become stagnent....and once you entered the world of quality audio it's like turning to the darkside, there is no turning back

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #1,253 of 1,448
You are not alone. I love using the velcro carry bag and the only time it comes out is when charging. With all the outlets provided by the bag, the amp doesn't heat up ever. Luckily the iPod touch 5G fits into the slot even with a case.
Quote:
deadhorse.gif

It's a great amp. Wish they could come out with a software for it to pair with other daps like Walkman. I don't know if its possible, but I do hope they do!
  I have always been very impressed with the set up. for 18 months the hpp1 and dt1350's have been my go to mobile disco. i love the neutral sound they produce and they can sing with anything from jazz to techno. I just think it is good to keep moving forward, something for the evening/weekend, some headphones that require a little bit more power to drive with a nice external amp or a pair of top of the range iems. Just want a bit of variety. Like buying a new pair of shoes init. Gotta keep pushing the envelope otherwise things become stagnent....and once you entered the world of quality audio it's like turning to the darkside, there is no turning back

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #1,254 of 1,448
Its still a great piece of gear (hpp1).

Familiarity can breed contempt and boredom though. Try using your ipod on its own for a day or two and then return to the hpp1, you`ll appreciate it again.

Although the hpp1 is weak in the amp department (for some people and headphones) it is a good match for the 1350 impedance wise. Maybe get a second of headphones to mix up sound signatures for when you feel the need for something different.

If you are using an idevice - an idevice dac/amp beats just an amp, imho.

up-grade-itis hits us all, If so the Hifi-M8 or the Theorum (i havent heard it)  are the next step up for idevice dac/amps.

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #1,256 of 1,448
The amp matches well with the ES10 as well, it tames the overbearing bass of them.

I have always found two entry cables very finicky for portable convenience, which is why i have been reluctant to buy iems until now, I think maybe the Es10's  would be a good choice for a new set of cans however, as various reviews state they are not neutral sounding headphones. Maybe a nice alternative sound signiture to the Dt's.. i've heard they are quite fun sounding and spacious which would be a welcoming change to neutral zone (i need more fun in my life)...again though living in England i have to make calculated choices and gamble with purchases as there are very few places to try these out. My only other concern is that they scratch very easily... thankyou for your consideration. They look mint with the reddish finish, i don't know how i would get those. Maybe i'll move to Japan.
  Its still a great piece of gear (hpp1).

Familiarity can breed contempt and boredom though. Try using your ipod on its own for a day or two and then return to the hpp1, you`ll appreciate it again.

Although the hpp1 is weak in the amp department (for some people and headphones) it is a good match for the 1350 impedance wise. Maybe get a second of headphones to mix up sound signatures for when you feel the need for something different.

If you are using an idevice - an idevice dac/amp beats just an amp, imho.

up-grade-itis hits us all, If so the Hifi-M8 or the Theorum (i havent heard it)  are the next step up for idevice dac/amps.

I think i will end up getting the Hifi- M8 at some point but my heart is telling me to delay the inevitable as i have put some much trust and faith in hp source! All your thoughts and recon is greatly appreciated, many thanks.

Apr 4, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #1,257 of 1,448
  An interesting amp option to pair the HP-P1 with would of course be the HP-V1... which offers a slightly differend characteristic and a bit more power. Also stacks very nice (V1 is the one in the middle):

Nevertheless I think that the DT1350 is adequately powered by the P1 alone.

Can the P1 be used as a dac with android walkman?

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #1,260 of 1,448
I guess you mean P1 vs. V1, right?
On the go I don't use anything besides an iPhone, connecting the headphone I have with me directly to its analog out (DT1350, T51p or M-100). When working at a cafe or on vacation I normally take the P1 with me, in future I'll also pack the V1 as I really like it with the T90 and the T5p.

I did not extensively compare the P1's amp section to the V1, but consider the V1 to be a bit warmer with a more powerful bass response. It works quite well with the DAC in the Apple Lightning to 30pin adapter.

When not planning for use with iDevices I'd rather get the V1 (or something different such as the Beyerdynamic A200p that can be used as a DAC with some Androids) as I don't think the P1 will ever get an update to work as a DAC with anything besides iDevices (not sure if that were even possible technically).

While I haven't heard it personally many consider the CEntrance HIFI-M8 an interesting option that seems to offer some level of Android compatibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back