Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Mar 21, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #1,426 of 1,448
People were wondering about the Beyer DT 1350 with the Fostex.  It is my preferred combo for portable use. If you can find the sweet spot, the bass goes pretty low. The NAD Viso is also easy to drive and sounds very neutral with good bass. 

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #1,427 of 1,448
I was on the verge of selling mine as I've just got an A&K Jr. but after using the Fostex as an amp for it, I've decided to keep it and sell my GO-DAP X and iPod instead. It makes a massive difference to the Jr and has saved me splashing out on another amp too.

May 11, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #1,428 of 1,448
so i was planning to get these,
but i do have a question: i did read post about the DAC is only compatible with iOS, but it was like several years ago. any update firmwire that let p1 DAC work on android or PC? as i frequently change my player on the go, i really need a flexible one.

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #1,429 of 1,448
Can anyone here tell me how the Fostex HP-P1 might compare to the Oppo HA-2SE in terms of sound quality? I like the smaller form factor and weight of the Oppo, but I wouldn't want to lose anything in terms of clarity or separation.

Thanks for any input.

Mar 21, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #1,430 of 1,448
I can't compare it to the Oppo, but I can compare it to the Centrance HiFi M8, which is a very clear and musical DAP Amp. The Centrance costs about double the Oppo and, I'm guessing, must be at least as good if not a fair bit better. Using the HP-P1 with the HP-V1 (and I really recommend this pairing if you go down the Fostex route) gives a very smooth (but not laid back) sound with beautiful weighty bass and sweet treble - sorry but I'm not a hifi journalist. The HP-P1 on its own lacks a bit of power compared to the Centrance but, if your phones aren't too hard to drive, it does the job and is very musical. You can pick up the P1 and the V1 pretty cheaply 2nd hand and even find good priced new ones on eBay. However, if you're looking for something smaller and portable then the P1 / V1 combo is a bit on the bulky side....

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #1,431 of 1,448
I can't compare it to the Oppo, but I can compare it to the Centrance HiFi M8, which is a very clear and musical DAP Amp. The Centrance costs about double the Oppo and, I'm guessing, must be at least as good if not a fair bit better. Using the HP-P1 with the HP-V1 (and I really recommend this pairing if you go down the Fostex route) gives a very smooth (but not laid back) sound with beautiful weighty bass and sweet treble - sorry but I'm not a hifi journalist. The HP-P1 on its own lacks a bit of power compared to the Centrance but, if your phones aren't too hard to drive, it does the job and is very musical. You can pick up the P1 and the V1 pretty cheaply 2nd hand and even find good priced new ones on eBay. However, if you're looking for something smaller and portable then the P1 / V1 combo is a bit on the bulky side....

Thanks for the reply, but I'm really looking for info about the Fostex vs. the Oppo, as those are the two I have the opportunity to choose between.

Mar 21, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #1,432 of 1,448
I owned the Fostex and its still comparable to todays tech.

The Oppo is no slouch either. I havent owned it but have tried it on many occasions.

I would go for the low form factor of the Oppo, these days theres no point having a large dac amp to cart about.

Other good choices centrances dacportable or cozoy rei.

@unclemonty also gave very good information as i also have the centrance hifi-m8. He supplied excellent comparisons between the two and explain the Fostex sound signature quite well as opposed to the Hifi-m8.

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #1,433 of 1,448
I owned the Fostex and its still comparable to todays tech.

The Oppo is no slouch either. I havent owned it but have tried it on many occasions.

I would go for the low form factor of the Oppo, these days theres no point having a large dac amp to cart about.

Other good choices centrances dacportable or cozoy rei.

@unclemonty also gave very good information as i also have the centrance hifi-m8. He supplied excellent comparisons between the two and explain the Fostex sound signature quite well as opposed to the Hifi-m8.

Thanks very much, I really appreciate the input from both you and @unclemonty. Would you happen to know anything about the RAH Dacamp L1?

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #1,435 of 1,448
Yes. I use it as a transport between my iPod and (via optical) my DAC to my stereo. The battery is not exactly robust, so it has to be plugged in at this point. It's more of a secondary source that is easy for my wife to use, and to pull up quick tunes for the kids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back