Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Feb 4, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #1,351 of 1,448
No, that is not the case. This was discussed quite a way back when the Fostex and Clas came out.

The classic etc eq is meant to be not too back these days, but the thing is there is not control on it. With apps such as EQu, equalizer, flacplayer app you can control it to your hearts content, and precisely.

I myself dont use EQ anymore now my gears what i want.

I do have the Centrance Hifi-M8 which has hardware eq switches for bass and treble but i dont use em.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #1,352 of 1,448
Does anyone have experience with using either the B&W P7 or Philips Fidelio X2 with the HP-P1? Impressions and or thoughts? Looking for a portable Amp DAC to use with my I-Pod touch 5th gen when on the road.

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #1,353 of 1,448
I think either would sound great.  Most would agree the Hp-P1 is neutral sounding and a little big toward the warm analog side. Everything I've heard from B&W has been very detailed and flat where the early reviews of the X2 suggest there is a slight bass boost. If you pull the trigger, post a review. I'm holding out for the Audeze EL-8 but curious about the X2.

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #1,354 of 1,448
Does anyone have experience with using either the B&W P7 or Philips Fidelio X2 with the HP-P1? Impressions and or thoughts? Looking for a portable Amp DAC to use with my I-Pod touch 5th gen when on the road.

Hi Sikedaman,

I have the P7 and the HP-P1. My source is an iPod classic.

The fostex improves upon the iPod classic dac/amp by tidying up some of the graininess and extending the soundstage a little. In comparison, the iPod classic definitely sounds a bit more congested and some of the top notes are slightly harsher.

However, for me, the difference that the HP-P1 makes with the P7 would not be compelling enough for me to want to take it on the road, particularly given the less than stellar battery life. My feeling is that the P7 was definitely tuned to be driven right out of an iPod jack and it responds very well to it, in my opinion. I find the iPod presentation to be quite forward and lively and this isn't a bad thing for the P7. I would guess B&W very much had the iPod in mind during design given their affiliation with Apple and the fact that there are always racks of P5s and P7s in the Apple Store.

I don't want to give the impression that there aren't improvements to be had, but the difference is quite subtle, at least to my ears. I do love the HP-P1 as the extra soundstage and separation is really nice, but right now I'm thinking of perhaps swapping the P7s for the Beyer DT 1350 - something that will really benefit from external amping.

Let me know if you would like to know anything else, I'd be happy to answer.

Jeb.

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #1,355 of 1,448
I'm also curious about the HP-P1 with the DT 1350's. These were pretty hot items here, so I'm sure someone has tried the combo. The battery life makes it not great for long flights, but I love the line out to my stereo and I would love to use it in hotel rooms with a nice pair of over ear portables.

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #1,356 of 1,448
I'm also curious about the HP-P1 with the DT 1350's. These were pretty hot items here, so I'm sure someone has tried the combo. The battery life makes it not great for long flights, but I love the line out to my stereo and I would love to use it in hotel rooms with a nice pair of over ear portables.

It is a fun combo. I have it here and still use it as one of my portable choices.

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #1,357 of 1,448
Hi Sikedaman,

I have the P7 and the HP-P1. My source is an iPod classic.

The fostex improves upon the iPod classic dac/amp by tidying up some of the graininess and extending the soundstage a little. In comparison, the iPod classic definitely sounds a bit more congested and some of the top notes are slightly harsher.

However, for me, the difference that the HP-P1 makes with the P7 would not be compelling enough for me to want to take it on the road, particularly given the less than stellar battery life. My feeling is that the P7 was definitely tuned to be driven right out of an iPod jack and it responds very well to it, in my opinion. I find the iPod presentation to be quite forward and lively and this isn't a bad thing for the P7. I would guess B&W very much had the iPod in mind during design given their affiliation with Apple and the fact that there are always racks of P5s and P7s in the Apple Store.

I don't want to give the impression that there aren't improvements to be had, but the difference is quite subtle, at least to my ears. I do love the HP-P1 as the extra soundstage and separation is really nice, but right now I'm thinking of perhaps swapping the P7s for the Beyer DT 1350 - something that will really benefit from external amping.

Let me know if you would like to know anything else, I'd be happy to answer.

Jeb.

Thanks for the detailed response. I have always heard that the P7s scale well and had hopes that the HP P1 would make a noticeable difference for all around use both at home and on the go. Might still consider pulling the trigger more for my X2s because my issue is a little grit in the upmost treble and maybe the HP P1 can clean it up a bit. Both cans are very easy to drive so subtle improvements might be all I should expect with the ability to drive some more demanding sets for future purchases. Thanks again.

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #1,358 of 1,448
I think either would sound great.  Most would agree the Hp-P1 is neutral sounding and a little big toward the warm analog side. Everything I've heard from B&W has been very detailed and flat where the early reviews of the X2 suggest there is a slight bass boost. If you pull the trigger, post a review. I'm holding out for the Audeze EL-8 but curious about the X2.

Thanks Malcuso. Compared to the other portable units I have been eying for the past month or so, the HP P1 seems to be the most appealing. I appreciate the feedback and will definitely post some impressions with my beloved X2s if or more likely when I pull the trigger :)

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #1,359 of 1,448
The battery life makes it not great for long flights, but I love the line out to my stereo and I would love to use it in hotel rooms with a nice pair of over ear portables.

The nice thing with the HP-P1 is the USB port charging. I find I'm usually able to keep it powered on long flights by plugging it into a USB slot in the airplane chair.

One thing I very much prefer over portable components that require a wall-wart.

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #1,360 of 1,448
...but right now I'm thinking of perhaps swapping the P7s for the Beyer DT 1350 - something that will really benefit from external amping.

I can only second @longbowbbs -- a very nice combination I still use quite often when on vacation. The DT1350 works fine directly off an iPhone though, its a very versatile mobile headphone that still surprises me with what these small drivers are capable of.

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #1,361 of 1,448

The nice thing with the HP-P1 is the USB port charging. I find I'm usually able to keep it powered on long flights by plugging it into a USB slot in the airplane chair.

One thing I very much prefer over portable components that require a wall-wart.

Yes this is something that is very useful. My CLAS dac has a wall wart with barrel connector and you need that cord where as the HP-P1 has the usb. The two have different sound signatures, the CLAS is more full and warm and the HP-P1 is more detailed with better instrument separation. Both good, i have portable units coming out of my ears though which is why both are up for sale. I have the ak120, and Hugo as well as HM801. The 801 is too beat up to sell and outdated due to storage and no apple file play, just wave and flac, the 120 feeds the new Hugo, so that leaves me with these two to try to pay off the Hugo-crazy expensive.

Mar 2, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #1,362 of 1,448
I can only second @longbowbbs
 -- a very nice combination I still use quite often when on vacation. The DT1350 works fine directly off an iPhone though, its a very versatile mobile headphone that still surprises me with what these small drivers are capable of.

Thanks Plakat - I see you have the T51p as well. Do they do well out of the fostex or are there not as many gains to be had with those? Which do you prefer in general, with or without the HP P1?

Regards
Jeb

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #1,363 of 1,448
Thanks Plakat - I see you have the T51p as well. Do they do well out of the fostex or are there not as many gains to be had with those? Which do you prefer in general, with or without the HP P1?

Regards
Jeb

Jeb, actually I've never tried the T51p with the P1... I'm a bit on the bright side of things and as both of these have a slight soft tendency it never occurred to me that I might enjoy the combination... so I can't comment on that.

I prefer the DT1350 with or without amplification, it works beautifully directly off an iPhone and even scales up with an amp. While the T51's comfort is really good for an on-ear (and way better than the DT1350 in that regard) it has a bit too much midbass and just a bit too tones down treble for my taste. Nothing bad, just a matter of taste -- and a minor one at that. If the T51p had a one-sided cable I might use it more often as that is an important aspect for me when on the go.

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #1,364 of 1,448
Jeb, actually I've never tried the T51p with the P1... I'm a bit on the bright side of things and as both of these have a slight soft tendency it never occurred to me that I might enjoy the combination... so I can't comment on that.

I prefer the DT1350 with or without amplification, it works beautifully directly off an iPhone and even scales up with an amp. While the T51's comfort is really good for an on-ear (and way better than the DT1350 in that regard) it has a bit too much midbass and just a bit too tones down treble for my taste. Nothing bad, just a matter of taste -- and a minor one at that. If the T51p had a one-sided cable I might use it more often as that is an important aspect for me when on the go.

Thanks - I think the 1350 will be my next headphone!

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #1,365 of 1,448
Thanks - I think the 1350 will be my next headphone!

I still consider the DT1350 the best mobile headphone I know... and the combination with the P1 is really good. Have fun and let us know how it goes.
Two words of caution: I had two sets of pads with my DT1350. Both got softer after around 2 weeks of actual usage (i.e. seal got better). And fit is very important, move them a little back if in doubt. There's a graphic in the DT1350 thread showing what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back