Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Sep 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #751 of 1,448
I was indeed very surprised my friend's iPhone 4 was having that issue but we had not the time to investigate what was triggering it (we only swapped a couple of times his 4 and my 4s always with the same result)

so... glad to know it does :)

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #755 of 1,448
Oct 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #756 of 1,448
Most of my music is 44.1k/16. I am looking for something that will actually work with the iphone 5. Do you think this would be over kill? It does looks nice and seems to be good quality... just not sure. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #757 of 1,448
This was the dac/amp that was raved about for the ipods, but my question is does this setup trump like a standalone dap

like the hifiman 801, colorfly c4, or hisound studio 3rd gens?  I am talking about pure sound quality because I understand UI wise, they can't compare to apples.  Some of the stand alone Daps I mentioned are actually a portable amp of themselves, but no one really talks about the use of it as an amp.  

If I consider the fostex hp-p1 is there any other dac/amps that can rival this yet?  I don't want to be carrying anything more than the fostex/ipod because that would be a brick combo.  The dac bypasses the ipods, but is the amp good as well?  I'm thinking its not because I see people still combo an amp on top of this, so that kinda defeats the purpose of getting this to me.  If I were to do that I might as well get the CLAS.

Also for battery usage, would I be able to get away with a whole day's usage on the ipod/fostex ?  

Anyone have experience with those daps I mentioned please chime in.  

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #758 of 1,448
I use the HM-801 and this.  Love them both. Comparable yes.  I like the sound of the 801 a touch more but the Fostex is probably more accurate.  The 801 can also be used as a dac from your computer as well as other uses.  The Fostex on the other hand uses an ipod which has a much more user friendly interface and if you use the classic has 160gb of music available whereas the max for hifiman is 32.  

I have used the fostex with external amps occasionally  when i have the patience or space, it improves the sound but it really is nice to have the built-in option so you can just drop it with the ipod in your front pocket.

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #759 of 1,448
I use the HM-801 and this.  Love them both. Comparable yes.  I like the sound of the 801 a touch more but the Fostex is probably more accurate.  The 801 can also be used as a dac from your computer as well as other uses.  The Fostex on the other hand uses an ipod which has a much more user friendly interface and if you use the classic has 160gb of music available whereas the max for hifiman is 32.  

I have used the fostex with external amps occasionally  when i have the patience or space, it improves the sound but it really is nice to have the built-in option so you can just drop it with the ipod in your front pocket.

i read that the 801 supports SD cards up to 128gb

Oct 23, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #760 of 1,448
I was told only 32 but maybe something changed. I know others tried larger cards at one point and had problems with them. Could have been a software update that I missed that had that option but I watch that thread.

Edit--

From owner manual:

Introducing, the HiFiMAN.The HiFiMAN, is a new, state of the art design music listening device, for the most discerning music listener, which incorporates a high quality flash based transport,which uses a state of the art 16bit 48kHz digital to analog converter (DAC), customer swappable amplifier to cater to any customer's tastes, along with a user replaceable rechargeable 18 volt battery, which allows the user to carry around a musical library with as many 32 GB Secure Digital HC cards as required, for an endless supply of lossy to lossless music files. The possibilities are endless.

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #761 of 1,448
Does anyone how the studio 3rd gens compare to the fostex hp-p1?

I get kinda mixed reviews on the fostex hp-p1. They said it isnt a significant upgrade in sound quality.

I believe there is a new version of the CLAS that incorporates the same setup as the fostex with the amp/dac for ipods

Oct 23, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #762 of 1,448
I was told only 32 but maybe something changed. I know others tried larger cards at one point and had problems with them. Could have been a software update that I missed that had that option but I watch that thread.
Edit--
From owner manual:
Introducing, the HiFiMAN.The HiFiMAN, is a new, state of the art design music listening device, for the most discerning music listener, which incorporates a high quality flash based transport,which uses a state of the art 16bit 48kHz digital to analog converter (DAC), customer swappable amplifier to cater to any customer's tastes, along with a user replaceable rechargeable 18 volt battery, which allows the user to carry around a musical library with as many 32 GB Secure Digital HC cards as required, for an endless supply of lossy to lossless music files. The possibilities are endless.

when was that manual released?

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #764 of 1,448
Quote:
Does anyone how the studio 3rd gens compare to the fostex hp-p1?
I get kinda mixed reviews on the fostex hp-p1. They said it isnt a significant upgrade in sound quality.
I believe there is a new version of the CLAS that incorporates the same setup as the fostex with the amp/dac for ipods

I cannot compare the studio to Fostex HP-P1, However as a new owner, 3 weeks, I can tell you this is a great sounding system. The build quality is very good and no way with IEM's can I turn up the volume past 3:00. The amp is powerful. Besides good SQ, you get to use all the features of your i~device. Scrolling, sorting, play lists, etc. I bought a 160 gb iPod classic to go with it.

The CLAS still needs an amp it is only a DAC. There are two models, one you can only use with a amp and the other with computer also.

The CLAS with a decent amp will cost more than the HP-P1. The HP-P1 will cost $649. Its open to debate what is a 'decent' amp. IMHO, you gotta spend about $300 or more.

Hope that helps.

Oct 24, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #765 of 1,448
I found that the HP-P1 worked very well with iem's.  When I owned it, I strictly used iem's and customs with it.  Also works well with most portable headphones.  I should be getting the Studio 3rd Anniv. any day now and I'll compare from memory of the HP-P1.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back