Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
May 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #406 of 1,448
Does anybody know how the HP-P1/CLAS behave when paired with recabled iPods such as the iMods from RWA where the caps are located in an LOD? I'm using a DIY iMod where this is the case, I'm assuming it's not an issue because the signal's coming out digitally, but I'm just looking for clarification. If this is the case, then I'll move onto question two. It's a question which I'm sure this thread gets choked with to no end, but I've contracted that most horrible affliction known as upgrade fever and the next stage of purchasing for me is the transition from a compact portable rig to a transportable "hifi" setup. I'm at university right now and will be travelling to and from my house at uni to my home four hours away pretty regularly, so I'd like to have a great rig that I can pack away nicely for when I go. The two obvious choices to build around are the aforementioned CLAS and the HP-P1. I've found the two units being sold in the UK by a retailer for the same price of £499. I'd ideally like to keep it just to this single unit for the moment, as the more money I spend on the source components the less I have to dedicate towards buying headphones. So the question is which would be superior solely from an audio standpoint, the HP-P1 or a combination of the CLAS and JDS Labs C421 amplifier? Nothing particularly difficult to drive at the moment, just the V-Moda M80 and Minerva Mi-3 triple driver customs, however if I earn enough over the summer they will be purchased alongside the Hifiman HE-4/400. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

May 19, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #407 of 1,448
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

If you are considering to buy this type of setup I suggest you read heavily about them. There is loads of material both on headfi and elsewhere on the Fostex and CLAS which will guide you in your decision.

Regarding DIYmod, correct me if I am wrong but are they not made using ipod 5.5 gen? I am quite sure that at least the Fostex does not work on iPod classic 5.5, you may want to check that out. But your assumption about if the capacitors are being overridden then yes this is true. The iPod is essentially a storage device and the DAC Onboard the Fostex or CLAS does all the audio decoding.

May 19, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #408 of 1,448
This Fostex has so far been one of my best audio buys.  

My only problem has been that i ordered filo bands on ebay three weeks ago, coming slow boat from China.......saw there was a usps tracking number.  Upon tracking........it was delivered Monday, five days ago
blink.gif
 Huh? Delivered.....???  That will teach me ever to use usps.  None of my neighbors or apt. manager has seen it.....  Just using a normal rubberband for the moment.  That carry case looks great but doesn't work for my Classic.  In fact even the bands cover part of the dial or screen.  Wish that Fostex had a better solution or a different case or at least include bands or something.  Guess it is just one of those problems of abundance.

Edit-Talked to postman and all the neighbors.  He didn't remember seeing it, and neighbors don't have it.  So why marked delivered....weird.  I contacted seller to see if he would send me another pair.....if so another three weeks with rubber band otherwise????
confused_face.gif

May 20, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #410 of 1,448
I use two fiio bands. One connecting fostex and top of iphone, and have the second
Around the fostex only-the volume end.
I use the fostex supplied case.

Also happy to see the fostex hp_p1 thread coming alive.

May 20, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #411 of 1,448
Quote:
Nothing particularly difficult to drive at the moment, just the V-Moda M80 and Minerva Mi-3 triple driver customs, however if I earn enough over the summer they will be purchased alongside the Hifiman HE-4/400. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

The cable used for the HP-P1 is just a short version of the regular Apple USB charging cable, so DIY mods wont affect it in any way. 

I'd get the headphones first. You wont notice a difference in upgrades with M80s. I'm using the HP-P1 with an L3, but, generally speaking, a HP-P1 or CLAS + one of the top portables (at least the ones I've tried, such as the L3, RX3 and SR71B) seems to be as good as you can get for a transportable rig, with mostly only subtle differences in performance, such as the HP-P1 and RX71B being a touch more mellow-sounding and the CLAS and RX3 not. The downside to the balanced amps are that you have to get balanced cabling to make it worth it, so the costs are more than just the amp.

Some good discussion here as well, by people who've owned the amps: post #6046

May 20, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #412 of 1,448
I've now read this thread from end to end, And whilst it makes a good read I'm well and truly unsure, half way through I concluded the Fostex was the answer if I was going with to drive loads and for difficult loads and possibly a superior sound CLAS and separate amp which may even give a slightly better sound, not that the Fostex would be bad saying I have not heard it., but all the same a brilliant read, my question is all in all apart from bulk when using the CLAS do you think it worth it or would you guys stay with Fostex and if you used the class what amp would you pair it with

May 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #413 of 1,448
I purchased the CLAS and HP-P1 together and ended up keeping the HP-P1.  I like the fact that it is less bulky and I actually preferred the more warm musical sound of the HP-P1 over the analytical sound of the CLAS.  The only lacking feature for me with the HP-P1 is the amp section is somewhat weak for more power hungry headphones.  I currently use the HP-P1 and SR-71A to cure the amp section.  Very bulky so it doesn't travel much.  The nice thing about the HP-P1 is that it can be used alone or with a more powerful amp, so IMO it's a better product if SQ isn't a deal breaker against the CLAS.  

May 24, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #415 of 1,448
This thing is amazing! I thought my Triple.fi couldn't do better. Happy to report it work with extension cable and surprisingly it even work with iphone in Mophie juice pack! 

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #416 of 1,448
Finally went ahead and bought my own HP_P1 this weekend (e-earphone in Akihabara, Tokyo)

Firmware Revision: 1.1.1
Hardware Revision: 1.1.2

Works great with both my 3G and 4s.

Does a regular Apple iPhone charge/sync cable work? (I tried and it only worked with the Fostex-branded short cable.)

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #417 of 1,448
Mine works with the apple usb cable.

Same firmware/hardware as yours.

Iphne 3g as transport/ipod touch 4g.

I havent logged too many hours on mine, using flacplayer app mainly.

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #418 of 1,448
I read this whole thread and listened to the video of Jude as well as listening to his before buying the HP-P1. Love it and i do have to disagree with the criticism about the volume knob. I like the longer knob because it makes it easier to find in your front pocket to turn it up or down. I have had amps where i am searching in my pocket around the wires to find the volume and this is so easy. Considering the design of the case curve that makes it front pocket friendly, it makes sense.

Jun 4, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #419 of 1,448
Yes, I was the same about the volume from photos and videos, I thought about buying a shorter one BEFORE I actually bought the fostex, and now find the length of the volume knob to be perfect for when its in its case, my bag etc. Just easier.

Jun 4, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #420 of 1,448
Yes I agree, 3 months on and I have absolutely no problems with the volume knob. It's well sized and perfectly suited for the task.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back