Fostex HP-P1 Headphone Amplifier
Aug 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

cincityvet89

New Head-Fier
i wanted to know is this headphone amp worth getting it is almost 600 bucks i currently have the fiio andes but in my opinion it isnt loud enough when combined with my samsung galaxy player 5.8. So i guess what im asking is is this device better than the fiio andes the andes cost me nearly 100 but if the fostex is better than i wouldnt mind paying the 600 dollar price tag. also im a big bass head so i wanted to know how much bass does this device give your headphones.

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 21
If you want bass then the V-MODA VERZA or a cheap bass booster amp like the JDS Labs cMoyBB will be better.

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 21
Also note the Fostex is designed for use ONLY with Apple devices, not android.

*you can use it as an amp only, but that defeats the purpose of its design and pricetag.

Which version galaxy do you have?
And what headphones are you using?

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 21
i thought about getting the vamp verza but ive emailed the company already and they told me that my device wont fit inside the verza dock. i kinda thought that was the whole purpse of the device in the first place. I wanted to know do you think i should still get the device anyway if my device wont fit.

Aug 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #6 of 21
If it doesn't fit, it seems a bit nonsensical to get the VAMP Verza. And since you're using a portable device that's NOT an iDevice, getting the Fostex HP-P1 seems nonsensical too as you'd be missing half of the features you're paying big bucks for. While the E7 is limited to 70mA / 7V p-p output, the FiiO E12 would offer you 170mA / 15.5V p-p. I'm quite sure that's enough for your purposes.

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 21
Short answer no and 600 is way too much for the hpp1.

I would definitly look into gdtting a android specific phone and wouldnt bother usong just a amp with the samsung. Definitly a dac amp combo I have the s3 and note 2 and they fall very short when I tried using the s3 or note 2 with just a amplifier.

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #9 of 21
How does the Samsung Galaxy S3 "fall short" to be specific? I've personally found all of the Galaxy S-line of phones to always have a very enjoyable sound quality whenever the headphone amplifier is presented with a relatively easy (not too low impedance), high efficiency load. That implies the DAC in the phone is completely fine and has resolution and clarity to sound good when used correctly and either using a headphone amplifier, or taking the internal amplifier's limitations into account.

To be brutally honest, if I was the thread starter, I would most likely get some more mobile/efficient set of headphones that isolate a bit, rather than trying to mask out environmental distractions by needing a mobile amplifier with a massive output wattage into a high impedance and low efficiency load. But since that was not the answer you are looking for, if you absolutely need to use the current headphones, then as recommended earlier, the FiiO E12 would offer you way more output with a selectable bass boost. If you need even more bass, you can use the internal EQ of the phone/tablet/whatever.

Also, if you would all be so kind at least try to bother with the spelling and punctuation, you're not really adding much to the collective intelligence quota.

Sources: I own the Samsung Galaxy S Wifi, Samsung Galaxy S, Samsung Galaxy S3.

Another thing I might want to implore you to pay attention to, is that you're considering these devices for mobile usage, no? It's nothing short of obvious, that when mobile you're hardly going to enjoy the luxury of quietness and no distractions (commuting, traffic, people, other sources of city noise). Without a silent environment, it's very much likely that the better DAC/amp you would be getting (with minute differences in resolution and presentation at best), is not going to sound any different when you're squeezing yourself through a crowd or sitting in a resonating bus. The absolutely massive difference you felt you heard at home when testing your new gear, is going to be much less impressive when a car is honking next to you or someone can't shut their baby up.

EDIT: wait, the Fostex headphone amplifier has only 80 mW@32
Ω, whereas your FiiO E07K Andes has 220mW@32Ω. I feel like you're way lost about what you're looking for. Throwing $600 at an amplifier is going to fix nothing if the amplifier doesn't give what you wanted, that is more power.

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #10 of 21
well that was just my own perception. i didnt have a ipod at one point and was just listening to music out of my s3 and note 2. and then i got a ipod and it was a huge jump in sound quality. which really suprised me becuase i dont normally hail the ipod as being that great, i just use the ipod as a media carrying interface, other than that everything is bypassed from the ipod. but yeah i definitly taken back by the differences between the ipod and s3/note 2.

EDIT: ''wait, the Fostex headphone amplifier has only 80 mW@32Ω, whereas your FiiO E07K Andes has 220mW@32Ω. I feel like you're way lost about what you're looking for. Throwing $600 at an amplifier is going to fix nothing if the amplifier doesn't give what you wanted, that is more power.''

i was unaware of how NOT powerful the hpp1 was. i was going to get the hpp1 but ended up getting the cypher labs algorhythm solo i definitly made the right choice. currently im using the p4 warbler  and its rated at 600mw+600mw into 32ohms and the sr71-b obviously both of those amps blow away 80mw lol

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #11 of 21
All points here have been right on the hp-p1 not being the correct option for a samsung phone. The dac isn't compatible, so there's really no point in buying it. Like expat asked, what headphones you are trying to use with your setup? That makes a big difference about what amps might help.

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #12 of 21
The Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo, both dB and R versions are only DACs, neither has a headphone amplifier in it, says so here on the product comparison page, and thus it won't work without a separate headphone amplifier. If you're going to use it in tandem with the E07K Andes, you're still going to be limited by it's maximum output.

So wait, suddenly you have an iBasso P4 Warbler? In the original post you're asking us opinions about a headphone amplifier, and now you're buying a separate mobile DAC and saying you already have a good amplifier. I'm seriously confused now.

Why don't you just use the E07K line output to feed the P4 Warbler? The E07K has an excellend DAC in it. I have no idea what's going on and I'm just not going to bother replying unless OP suddenly starts making sense.

Someone made sense out of everything, thanks! That's what you get for browsing the forums tired and cranky, sorry about that!

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:
The Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo, both dB and R versions are only DACs, neither has a headphone amplifier in it, says so here on the product comparison page, and thus it won't work without a separate headphone amplifier. If you're going to use it in tandem with the E07K Andes, you're still going to be limited by it's maximum output.

So wait, suddenly you have an iBasso P4 Warbler? In the original post you're asking us opinions about a headphone amplifier, and now you're buying a separate mobile DAC and saying you already have a good amplifier. I'm seriously confused now.

Why don't you just use the E07K line output to feed the P4 Warbler? The E07K has an excellend DAC in it. I have no idea what's going on and I'm just not going to bother replying unless OP suddenly starts making sense.

LOL i think you are a little mixed up, im not the OP, i DO have a ibasso p4 warbler and a RSA SR71-B and a algorthythm solo and agree the SOLO is JUST  a dac and not a dac/amp combo.

i was commenting on the power output of the hpp1 in comparison to other amps like you were saying the andes, i was commenting on the power output of both the p4 and sr71-b as i was going to get a hpp1 before i decided in the end to get the CLAS.  was just saying  i think i made the right choice based on the power output of the internal amp.

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #14 of 21
Ah yes, thank you for clearing that up! I started reading your post as someone else has posted, but when it came to the bolded part where you said you were GOING to get the Fostex amplifier but decided not to (I assumed you didn't because I had just told the "OP" it didn't have enough power output) and just went with a completely (from the amplifier point of view) irrelevant product instead, so I somehow started thinking you were the OP in the middle of the sentence. Shouldn't read so tired
biggrin.gif

Anyway, the iBasso P4 Warbler looks like an excellent option for OP. As does the FiiO E12, both would be a nice upgrade although of course the P4 Warbler is a lot more powerful.

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
Ah yes, thank you for clearing that up! I started reading your post as someone else has posted, but when it came to the bolded part where you said you were GOING to get the Fostex amplifier but decided not to (I assumed you didn't because I had just told the "OP" it didn't have enough power output) and just went with a completely (from the amplifier point of view) irrelevant product instead, so I somehow started thinking you were the OP in the middle of the sentence. Shouldn't read so tired
biggrin.gif

Anyway, the iBasso P4 Warbler looks like an excellent option for OP. As does the FiiO E12, both would be a nice upgrade although of course the P4 Warbler is a lot more powerful.

I agree, the P4 is a real gem in the amplifier arena. 600mw+600mw in 32 ohms, the ability to change opamps and buffers. it has gobs of power, the only downfall of the ibasso P4 warbler, is the almost inability to find one for sale. i owned a silver p4 warbler and sold it, then i started looking since then, and only recently came across one. and bought without a single thought. sooo glad i did

i also recently bought the RSA SR71-B and to tell you the truth with the current opamp/buffer setup, the P4 sounds WILDLY like and almost exactly like the SR71-B with the P4 actually having slightly better characteristics Overall in all aspects. but there is still something about the RSA SR71-B .

If the op is interested in the P4 he also might be interested in the pb2 which is obviously alot easier to find. again gobs of power

Users who are viewing this thread

Back