Fostex HP-A8 can be a good option to pair with the Audeze LCD-2??
Jun 13, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 16
Im searching for an Amp and a DAc for my LCD-2, i read about the Violectrics V800 and V200, but buying these two its too expensive.
As a result i think that a better option for me is to buy a Dac/Amp combo, i saw the fostex hp-a8c as a good option, but before i decide i want recommendations and more options.

thanks 

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 16
It's way overpriced in the US like most Fostex gear. What's your budget? 

Jun 15, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 16
If you can get it for around 1000 then it's not bad. The amp section may not be strong enough for something like LCD-2 but that's just my guess. I do know that the A8 has a very good DAC section. May have to wait for LCD-2 owners to chime in since I don't have any experience with it.

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #8 of 16
Schiit Bifrost and Lyr, and a pair of cheap 6BZ7 and be happy with this combo.

I had the LCD2 before and it sounds beautifully with Lyr/Bifrost, if you can invest some rare tubes like Siemens CCa, Telefunken, .... it would take the Lyr to a higher league imho.

Btw, 1100 for a Fostex HPA8C is not a bad deal though, I heard many folks , also Mike - headfonia said the HPA8C has a superb DAC, which I think is justified the $1100 price tag alone. Plus you'll have the headphone amp section, which could not be a top notch, or comparable with some 1k-1.5k headphone amps... But what would you expect more in a 1.1k one-box DAC/amp? It already has a great DAC.

If I have to force to choose the Lyr/Bifrost and HPA8C, I would take the Lyr/Bifrost, and the exceeded money will be spent on tube rolling for funs.

Jun 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #9 of 16
in that order, in the DAC section will be the fostex and in the amp the Lyr??? ....so the Amp section N the Hpa8c is not good??

Because yesterday i already order the HPA8C and if you say the Amp section is not good ... i will have a trouble....

Jun 18, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #10 of 16
I didn't say its not good since I haven't heard it, it's just the summary of veteran head-fier's comments, which said that the amp section of the Fostex HPA8C is not comparable with other amps in the 1k - 1.5k budget. 

My suggestion was buying the Schiit stack and be happy with it, save some bucks for tube rollings and stuff. But if you already purchased the HPA8C, it's not that bad for 1.1k tbh, there isn't any trouble here, it's still good dac/amp one box solution. You can even use it as the stand alone DAC, and buy another amp in the future if you're not happy with it.

Jun 21, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #13 of 16
No its not the "Best" option. The "best" word will cost you much more than that.

I highly suggest you do more searching in here, there are tons of threads and impressions about amping for LCD-2, which is a very common headphone here.

My suggestion is a budget and great sounding quality for its price. Take it as consideration. Don't ever go for the "best" because there is no "best" thing in the world, there is always something better than a specific thing that you called it the best. Buy whatever you think it's great for you, and it's worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back