Fostex HP-A4BL (the A4 with balanced output)
Nov 20, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #181 of 401
I am doing research on DAC balanced headphone amps---I am looking at the Fostex Hp-a4 bl and Schiit Jotunheim.
Both are around $ 500 new. If anybody can give me some advice I would be grateful. My headphones are Focal Utopia and Fostex TH 900 with silver dragon cable upgrade.
I am treble sensitive if that makes any difference in these amps.
If there are other any other balanced/dac amps that are also high quality, please advise.
I would like to spend around $ 500----not quite ready to go crazy with all the recent purchases.
Thank You===
i had the silver dragon with my TH-900 before and it was crazy hot ,,
switch the cable to black dragon if you want less treble 900 , i think this is a better choice to spend 500$

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #182 of 401
what is the benefit of balanced amp when the internal DAC is not balanced?
balanced amp give more power , even there HP-V8 high end fully balanced amp have SE input ..

Nov 23, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #184 of 401
Hi guys,

I've been reading this thread from the first page but I found little information about the DAC capability of this Fostex.
I am planning to buy this model to link my laptop to my Yamaha HS8 active studio monitors, so what is your opinion about the Digital to Analog conversion capability of this model?
Maybe someone did a similar configuration and can share with us his/her's feedback?

Thank you in advance!
Mircea

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #186 of 401
It's only attention for casual users. You can buy 30W DC12V Linear Power Supply from ebay and it will pretty improve sound quality.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #190 of 401
Hey guys. Long time lurker here. Do you guys have latency issues with your HPA4-BLs watching videos? If I watch youtube or other videos there is a clear sync problem with the sounds and the picture, probably around 200-300ms. Anyone have a solution to fix this. My HPA4-BL is connected to Win10 via USB. Any help would be appreciated.

Jan 12, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #191 of 401
Hey guys. Long time lurker here. Do you guys have latency issues with your HPA4-BLs watching videos? If I watch youtube or other videos there is a clear sync problem with the sounds and the picture, probably around 200-300ms. Anyone have a solution to fix this. My HPA4-BL is connected to Win10 via USB. Any help would be appreciated.

Whilst I don't have this issue, there is an easy fix. Download VLC player, and when playing a video using the player, use the shortcuts to adjust audio delay or sync to your ideal preference or whatever you think seems most accurate.

https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_HowTo/Adjust_audio_delay/

Jan 12, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #192 of 401
Whilst I don't have this issue, there is an easy fix. Download VLC player, and when playing a video using the player, use the shortcuts to adjust audio delay or sync to your ideal preference or whatever you think seems most accurate.

https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_HowTo/Adjust_audio_delay/

Thank you, that fixes part of the problem. I occasionally also play some games and there the issue is even worse. I'd like to know if this is just some driver issue or if it can't be fixed because that would be a deal breaker for me :/. Otherwise I really like the unit both for sound quality and it's functions.

Jan 19, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #194 of 401
Same problem with Win7. I'm using optical-in for Windows and USB for audio-player, that is solution.

So I suppose using optical-out from Windows/mainboard to the Fostex instead of connecting it via usb should solve the latency issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back