Fostex HP-A4BL (the A4 with balanced output)
Nov 3, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #166 of 401
This dac/amp really Drives my Sony's MDR-Z1R like a champ via the SE Cable, in the process of ordering a good custom made Balanced Cable, 4 Pin XLR. Plenty of Juice for the Z1R at 12 O' Clock, no need for High gain, will update once the XLR cable arrives.

Nov 4, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #168 of 401
This is my main amp/dac combo. I started with an o2/odac --> Yulong canary daart ---> these. I use em to power my Hd 800s in balanced, fostex th-900s and LCD-3Fs. Is there anything really better.

I agree, I really feel like this amp is seriously put to use on Balanced, it doubles the power output, it powered the LCD-2's with no issue, plenty loud at 12' O clock. Just ordered a Moon Audio Silver Dragon Balanced Cable for my MDR-Z1R, cant wait to get them.

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #169 of 401
Did Fostex forget to advertise this?
Was looking for balanced amp/dac combo and found A4BL, made In Japan, looks great, pretty fine specs for TH900 and X00.
Got last one from Rakuten for 399.
I see reports that its not fully balanced dac/amp, while others reported as fully balanced circuitry.
Will test it against Burson 9018 Conductor and Chord Hugo.

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #170 of 401
Did Fostex forget to advertise this?
Was looking for balanced amp/dac combo and found A4BL, made In Japan, looks great, pretty fine specs for TH900 and X00.
Got last one from Rakuten for 399.
I see reports that its not fully balanced dac/amp, while others reported as fully balanced circuitry.
Will test it against Burson 9018 Conductor and Chord Hugo.

Let us know your thoughts.

Nov 17, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #171 of 401
Hi, I'm kinda interested with this Fostex amp and was wondering if someone can help answer a couple of questions.

To my understanding, this can be solely usb powered and is good enough for single-ended connections. However if I would like to use the balanced connections, I'd have to get a seperate DC12V adapter to power the amp? Is there a dedicated switch for this or would connecting the DC12V adapter automatically switches the power away from the usb?

Also, does anyone know how does this dac/amp compare to a DAP such as the Onkyo DP-X1A in terms of sound quality?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #172 of 401
Uhhh, I'm pretty sure this needs a power source for all use. It comes with it's own power supply. This is my first desktop dac amp. I have used a modified Auzentech X-Meridian sound card, with swappable opamps,before this. I choose this amp for it's balanced out put and it's ability to play up to 11.6 DSD. I use it with the my HD 650 and it's on par with the best peruvian product that I can remember from 30 years ago. My modified Fostex 50rp's sound pretty darn good, with the unbalanced output put, as well.

Nov 18, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #173 of 401
Hi, I'm kinda interested with this Fostex amp and was wondering if someone can help answer a couple of questions.

To my understanding, this can be solely usb powered and is good enough for single-ended connections. However if I would like to use the balanced connections, I'd have to get a seperate DC12V adapter to power the amp? Is there a dedicated switch for this or would connecting the DC12V adapter automatically switches the power away from the usb?

Also, does anyone know how does this dac/amp compare to a DAP such as the Onkyo DP-X1A in terms of sound quality?

Thanks in advance.

This dac/amp is meant to be powered by the 12v power supply, if you want USB go with the older HP-A4, that's only USB powered.

Nov 18, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #174 of 401
I am doing research on DAC balanced headphone amps---I am looking at the Fostex Hp-a4 bl and Schiit Jotunheim.
Both are around $ 500 new. If anybody can give me some advice I would be grateful. My headphones are Focal Utopia and Fostex TH 900 with silver dragon cable upgrade.
I am treble sensitive if that makes any difference in these amps.
If there are other any other balanced/dac amps that are also high quality, please advise.
I would like to spend around $ 500----not quite ready to go crazy with all the recent purchases.
Thank You===

Nov 18, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #175 of 401
I am doing research on DAC balanced headphone amps---I am looking at the Fostex Hp-a4 bl and Schiit Jotunheim.
Both are around $ 500 new. If anybody can give me some advice I would be grateful. My headphones are Focal Utopia and Fostex TH 900 with silver dragon cable upgrade.
I am treble sensitive if that makes any difference in these amps.
If there are other any other balanced/dac amps that are also high quality, please advise.
I would like to spend around $ 500----not quite ready to go crazy with all the recent purchases.
Thank You===

Look at the review by ZReviews.

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #178 of 401
Quick question. Since this is a Made in Japan dac/amp, does the AC adapter that comes with it supports 100V to 240V?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back