Fostex HP-A4
Apr 14, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #151 of 324
I don't have a lot of current knowledge on which software players sound best.  But the Fostex Player definitely sounds better than iTunes on my Windows 8 PC.  IT's also pretty darn cool looking, though it doesn't have a lot of functionality. 

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #152 of 324
The Fostex player is there to facilitate the use of high-res audio files, so try it out if it simplifies your music listening. I for one prefer iTunes due to many applications reading from its library: I don't want to curate another one set of playlists and audio files. Plus I don't really care for anything beyond CD-quality...

Apr 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #154 of 324
@HiFiRobot Very shiny gear! 
o2smile.gif

@All
How well do you think would the Fostex HP-A4 work together with active speakers, like the Adam Audio ARTist A5s?
Afaik the pre-amp in the Fostex would allow me to control the volume of both speakers at the same time. (?)

At some point I'd also like to explore the world of headphones.

Mid-Range, that are also portable: V-Moda XS
High-Range: TH600 (the talk about annoying trebble scares me slightly, but could always return it)
??

Would these work well with the Fostex, any other suggestions?
Thanks, and sorry for all the question.
biggrin.gif

Music: EDM, Trance, Electronic (examples: Germany Germany, Neon Shudder), Instrumental/Acoustic (Jesse Cook)

Apr 27, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #155 of 324
I wanted to add a quick follow-up to my previous posts in this thread. Recently I acquired the rosewood LCD-2s. To my n00b ear, the pairing with the HP-A4 is impressive. The HP-A4 usually functions as my DAC with the RCA output to a WA6 with the Sophia Princess and 6GL7 upgrades. The HE-500s are brilliant in this setup.

However, the LCD-2s work better, I think, right out of the HP-A4’s native amplifier. There’s an increase in bass impact, clarity in the mids and highs, and overall punchiness. When I connect the LCD-2s to the WA6 with the Sophia Princess and 6GL7 upgrades, the sound is a bit out of focus, almost impressionistic.

May 2, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #156 of 324
  I don't have a lot of current knowledge on which software players sound best.  But the Fostex Player definitely sounds better than iTunes on my Windows 8 PC.  IT's also pretty darn cool looking, though it doesn't have a lot of functionality. 

I agree.....  I thought that players like this were just snake oil with regular music files but high resolution ones.

I was wrong, I started playing 320mbps mp3s using itunes..... and the bass was muddy on the Fostex 900s.......

I hated the overall presentation.... to the point that I was blaming the HP-A4.

Now playing the same files with the Fostex Player everything sounds properly.... tighter bass, and the music sounds clearer overall.

Unfortunately, I does not support AAC :frowning2:

Now it is time for looking for HR files !

May 6, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #158 of 324
  how does this compare to o2+DAC combo?

Never had the ODAC, but I'd prefer the A4 for its DSD capability and filters. The Amp part of A4 is definitely not as powerful as the O2, but it's good enough for easy to drive headphones. Overall I like A4's one box solution. 

May 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #160 of 324
I am a happy new owner of the HP-A4! :D

The volume control works just fine to control my powered speakers. So far I prefer the fast roll-off filter.
Still undecided on what full-size headphones to get. So many options!

To test the DSD capabilities I've played some samples from http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html using the Fostex Audio Player configured to Native DSD.
Stereo DFF DSD 64 2.8224Mbit/s and Stereo FLAC 24BIT/192kHz play just fine. But with the Stereo DFF DSD 128 5.6448Mbit/s samples I get rare random low-volume popping sounds on both the RCA and headphone out.

Is anyone else getting that? Not a deal breaker for me, but still..

I also tried to setup Foobar2000 to play DSD files. But I must have missed something; not managed to get it working. Doesn't help that the setup tutorials are all (?) for older versions of Foobar. :)

May 16, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #161 of 324
Hello,

I'm planning to buy an hp-a4 soon.
Did someone here really test the hp-a4 with high impedancy headphones (i mean real test with for example sennheiser HD6XX series) ?
I found a plenty of review, none of them used such headphones in real conditions.

Thanks for answers

May 16, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #162 of 324
Hello,

Did someone here really test the hp-a4 with high impedancy headphones (i mean real test with for example sennheiser HD6XX series) ?
I found a plenty of review, none of them used such headphones in real conditions.

Thanks for answers

I have been trying to find out the same since its release. I currently use the DT-990 pros 250ohm version. Seems like all the reviews I have seen were 32 ohm HP's.

May 16, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #163 of 324
  Hello,

Thanks for answers

I tried it with my brand new TH900s, which are  about 25 ohm and I had to use them in High Gain mode, unless I wanted to dial it at 3 or 4 pm.....therefore, I do not think it will drive them properly.
Keep in mind that I do not listen at high volume.

May 16, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #164 of 324
I use the A4 with a TH600 at my office at about 10-11 o'clock at low gain... sounds to me like your source material is really quiet or some kind of system master volume turned down. Of course loud is a very subjective feeling...

May 16, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #165 of 324
Asio Driver = bypassing volume  + Fostex Player or JRiver.....

Jazz/Blues and Rock

The cause probably lies on the recordings since I do not enjoy music with heavy compression added to boost the volume.

Again, this is just a personal opinion....

TH600 and TH900 have the same impedance. however, Fostex releases two amps tuned for each pair of headphones.  The  HPA4  fires 100mw 35 ohm. and the  HPA8  boosts 700mw 35 ohm ....

Therefore, the reason behind the difference in power of these amps lead me to believe that the TH900s might be harder to drive properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back