Fostex HP-A3 & HP-A7
Mar 14, 2010 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wap32

100+ Head-Fier
So I stumbled upon these today, didn't find any threads about them so I thought I'd start one.

HP-A3 (~400$/~297€) is bus powered, and has 24bit/96kHz USB and optical inputs, along with a head-amp, uses a 32-bit AKM AK4392 DAC.

HP-A7 (~828/~602€) has 2x optical, coax(192kHz), USB and analog inputs, headphone outputs with different gain settings, uses an "exclusive" 32-bit AKM AK4392 DAC.

Here's some videos of the A3 and A7.
I can't understand anything the guy says, but you can get a pretty extensive tour of the internals, they seem well made.
The site also claims they used "high-quality" capacitors and opamps, for the A7 they mention Nichcon/WIMA/Panasonic PPS caps and Linear opamps.

Anyone have any experience with any of these?
The small, bus powered 24bit A3 looks interesting, although the price isn't so small.

Oct 6, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm kinda interested in the A3. Seems like a pretty decent USB DAC+Amp box. Anyone got any thoughts on it? Headfonia seemed to think quite highly of the DAC component of the A3. (http://www.headfonia.com/fostex-hp-a3/)

Oct 6, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 5
I think the A3 is interesting, but the A7 can be had in Japan for roughly $670.00 on sale.  The rub is, this only works if you are in Japan. I will be there in November and am seriously considering getting one.  The problem is, I will be looking at a lot of JDM stuff.

I am very pleased with the AKM AK4480 chipset in the HP P-1.  The AK4392 in the A7/A3 is supposed to be decidedly better.  The A7 amp section is also reportedly very impressive and the overall package is supposed to be significantly better than the A3.  The A3 is pretty cool for what it is, but I would rather stretch and try the A7 if going with another Fostex.

Oct 6, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 5
What do you mean when you say that it only works in Japan? Is it something to do with the voltage like the AT HA5000?

Yeah I would love to get my hands on an A7 but like you said, it's pretty darn hard (and expensive) to get it anywhere else but Japan. Wonder if there are any owners out there that are looking to sell off their A7...hmmm

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
What do you mean when you say that it only works in Japan? Is it something to do with the voltage like the AT HA5000?

Yeah I would love to get my hands on an A7 but like you said, it's pretty darn hard (and expensive) to get it anywhere else but Japan. Wonder if there are any owners out there that are looking to sell off their A7...hmmm

No, you have to physically be in Japan to get the lowest prices -- i.e. buying directly on sale.  Buy elsewhere and pay full price and usually add-in another mark up on top of that, plus shipping.  $670.00 appears to be a steal for this piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back