forums like head-fi but for speakers?
Aug 15, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #16 of 36
What about A-gon? i have been there for years...it does have a nice speakers section. 

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #18 of 36
only problem with speakers is that it isnt very international.  american speakers tend to be tuned to be V shaped, dramatic and huge.  particulalry as american rooms are vast compared with UK ones.  likewise UK brands are much much rarer in the US.  there just isnt the same breadth of shared speakers available bar a few big big brands.

Aug 16, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #19 of 36
Aug 16, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #20 of 36

Quote:
Only if you're selling something, for a regular member nope. 

Yes, i kinda forgot, They have a SUPER helpful forum which has all the gear and recommends what the going price is for that piece of gear.

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #22 of 36
the 2-channel forum is what I check out mostly on AVS, it's just not as fast moving as head-fi. the speaker forum seems more geared towards surround, which I'm not a fan of personally. although some LR main speakers in surround packages make excellent 2-channel in their own right.

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #23 of 36

Quote:
Though since you mention it, I wonder if Head-Fi might add a more detailed speaker forum or two. They're not headphones, but maybe it would work. We already have some speaker discussions here. New forums could possibly add a few more sponsors and be a good resource for members. Many of us use speakers, too. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

This should happen.

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #25 of 36
only problem with speakers is that it isnt very international.  american speakers tend to be tuned to be V shaped, dramatic and huge.  particulalry as american rooms are vast compared with UK ones.  likewise UK brands are much much rarer in the US.  there just isnt the same breadth of shared speakers available bar a few big big brands.

Tell that to my Quads. :D

Though I'm running a pair of cloned ProAcs, but those also have UK heritage. So does my turntable and one CD player. But my preamp, phonostage and power amp are American.

Anyway, it might be useful to break out a separate loudspeaker forum and maybe a subforum for power amps, since those are specific and there isn't much crossover with headphone amps.

I've also wondered if breaking out vinyl into a dedicated forum would be good. Vinyl seems increasingly popular and sales keep going up. That might bring in more people interested in black discs. They should find interest in the rest of the site, too, as would potential sponsors.

I'll think about creating a thread in the Feedback Forum.

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #27 of 36

Quote:
Tell that to my Quads.
biggrin.gif

Though I'm running a pair of cloned ProAcs, but those also have UK heritage. So does my turntable and one CD player. But my preamp, phonostage and power amp are American.

Anyway, it might be useful to break out a separate loudspeaker forum and maybe a subforum for power amps, since those are specific and there isn't much crossover with headphone amps.

I've also wondered if breaking out vinyl into a dedicated forum would be good. Vinyl seems increasingly popular and sales keep going up. That might bring in more people interested in black discs. They should find interest in the rest of the site, too, as would potential sponsors.

I'll think about creating a thread in the Feedback Forum.

lol, pick holes in my broad sweeping generalisations why dont you. 

but still if you have a look at any UK and US sites there tends not to be much brand crossover, a few do but not many.  its why i dont bother looking at US speaker sites as you either cant get the stuff here, certainly not likely to be able to demo and the prices if available are way more than in the US.

funny you mention Quad though, i heard a pair of their lower end ones the other week, was so unimpressed. so thick and heavy i was really surprised given the love they get on line.

Aug 29, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #28 of 36
You must have heard Quad's dynamics. There's nothing thick and heavy about their electrostats.

Part of the problem with speakers must be the shipping - most likely very expensive. Though UK turntables are common around here.

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #29 of 36

Quote:
Audiogon also has a pay section for you to use the audio blue book to check equipment prices.  If you end up buying and selling on a frequent basis, it may be worthwhile to invest in such a subscription.

Yup, that was what i meant. Too bad it wasn't free... i wonder how up-to-date it is?

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #30 of 36
The speaker forums I've been to weren't too friendly, Head-fi is a much happier place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back