Forthcoming Musical Fidelity M 1 Pure Class A Headphone Amp
May 12, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #16 of 29
I also assume it will be made such as it cannot be modded, as they glued in many of the V8P's components. 

May 12, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #17 of 29
I see it now, 'cuse me. 
smile_phones.gif
 And yes, it'd better come with a good PSU, otherwise the whole thing will go to waste. 

Quote:
Class A Solid State.

Also unlike the X-Can V8 it has no option for an upgraded power supply (so I'm going to 'assume' that means it has a high quality power supply)...

May 12, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #18 of 29
On the M1 instructions, it looks identical to the V8P on the back panel. Why will it not work with an upgraded PSU?

May 12, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #19 of 29
Are you sure? I'm not an expert but I see a 24V~AC 500mA din input on the V8P's back, but a 90-250V label and a plug for an IEC power cable on the M1 HPA's back. 

It's looking quite nice atm, and at 7.5lbs it's no lightweight (yep, XD) ... but only a 32ohms power rating is given in the manual, a shame... Oh well, we'll have to wait and see anyways. 

Quote:
On the M1 instructions, it looks identical to the V8P on the back panel. Why will it not work with an upgraded PSU?

May 12, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #20 of 29
Ypoknons, you are right, how did I miss that!? So is the PSU now onboard rather than the wall wart type? Again, I wonder if that is to reduce the after market PSUs that were available from Russ Andrews and Rock Grotto aimed specifically at MF products.

May 13, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #21 of 29

Quote:
Ypoknons, you are right, how did I miss that!? So is the PSU now onboard rather than the wall wart type? Again, I wonder if that is to reduce the after market PSUs that were available from Russ Andrews and Rock Grotto aimed specifically at MF products.

My guess is that it is aimed at healing MF's reputation... The company got a very bad rep over the last few years for constantly changing products and being 'gimmicky'... So Now they've launched a complete new line up from the Titan down to the M1 series that is straightforward HiFi... So no supercharged amps, external power supplies, etc etc... Hopefully all products in the new lines will remain  available for the next 5 years...

May 14, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #22 of 29
It's an interesting product IMHO.  Class A is nice...

May 23, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #23 of 29
Looks like the M1 HPA will retail for 800 USD:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/87778

And the M1 DAC will go for 650 USD:

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/87777

May 23, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #24 of 29
I mean, I can see the reason for their old approach, it's good business to fill two different points with one design, one with a nicer PSU. At the same time, part of the point of an amplifier is to have a great PSU and power regulation and all that, so I can understand their new approach too. Hopefully at that price range they'll throw in a good volume control, there's no gain switch... 

May 25, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #25 of 29
Looks great, but $1450 does put the combo into the range of the Grace M902, among others. I wonder how it will compare to the Audio GD DAC19/C2 combo, which is nearly $500 less.

Oct 26, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #26 of 29
Here is M1 review in HiFI Choice Awards issue.

http://hotfile.com/dl/78424875/556a89b/HiFi_Choice_Awards_2010_M1.pdf.html

Like all British stuff in this magazine it's rated super good.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #27 of 29
what's the inside of this amp section like? i mean class A is just a typology ... anyone see an open unit / teardown yet?

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #28 of 29

Quote:
what's the inside of this amp section like? i mean class A is just a typology ... anyone see an open unit / teardown yet?

Just found this on another thread:

it looks.... like its a much bigger casing than required :)  anyone care to comment on the design/parts ?

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #29 of 29
I owned this for a while and sold it simply because it could not fit under the 27" Mac monitor. The casing is top notch from Taiwan, and I expected the unit to be heavier but it is actually quite light. I guess it needed the dimensions to fit right in with the rest of the other offerings like the DAC, the CLIC and the CDT. Sound wise, the amp is absolutely quiet, and bordered on the dry side, but not thin. I like my music with a touch of warmth, and I would consider this amp neutral. This amp took a back sit when I had the Lyr, but I quickly sold the Lyr as it was more noisy, had the irritating pop when it went to idle, and the hum just before the 20 second safety kicked in. (did not bother to start changing tubes as I'm the sort of person to put it in once and don't bother with it much)

I quite liked the amp for its honest portrayal of music. Overall, the HPA was powerful, neutral and the amp seemed to be able to control the music very well, especially bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back