Formula 1 drivers - in ears ?
Jun 13, 2011 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

giovanni

100+ Head-Fier
does anyone know what these guys are using ?  they all walk around with things that look like in-ears headphones, if they indeed are, they ought to be pretty good, at least in terms of noise reductions ....

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 16
My Google works
wink.gif
and came up with these...
http://www.riedel.net/LinkClick.aspx?link=Downloads%2FBroschures%2FRiedel_Headsets_EN.pdf&mid=0&language=en-US

Jul 20, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 16
Remember that its like flight headsets.

They are absolutly usless for music for the simple reason that they are designed to carry specific frequencies and block everything else out to make comunication easier.
Emphasis on the midrange/voice while trying to suppress everything else so the driver can be clearly heard over the engine and wind noises.
And the same for the pit crew. filtering noises from the garage. near by machinery or the track itself.

If they used full range headphones and mics they would be totaly usless for the driver and pitcrew.

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
does anyone know what these guys are using ?  they all walk around with things that look like in-ears headphones, if they indeed are, they ought to be pretty good, at least in terms of noise reductions ....

I can't say what any given driver is using, but I do know that Future Sonics was hired to make in-ears for pro race drivers...I don't know if it was F1 or what though.

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #9 of 16
I have a cousin whoworks as a race engineer in F1. He told me they wear scullcandys. Also he told me that ferrari's pit crew wears beats by dre

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #11 of 16

this makes sense, but do you know such is indeed the case for F1 drivers ?  It would be great to find out who the makers are of these things, seems easy ...

I was wondering about this because by the mere look of it, those monitors seem to cover a much larger portion of the ear compared with the regular IEMs hence suggesting greater insulation from outside noise.  I am wondering what IEMs out there offer the best isolation.  I had much higher expectations with the JH13, I want better.  ACS I think might have something to do with F1.

Quote:
Remember that its like flight headsets.

They are absolutly usless for music for the simple reason that they are designed to carry specific frequencies and block everything else out to make comunication easier.
Emphasis on the midrange/voice while trying to suppress everything else so the driver can be clearly heard over the engine and wind noises.
And the same for the pit crew. filtering noises from the garage. near by machinery or the track itself.

If they used full range headphones and mics they would be totaly usless for the driver and pitcrew.

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #13 of 16
I can't believe how desperate they are for sponsorships when many of those who have both Beats and Ferraris probably can't even drive a manual tranny. Or ut 22" chrome rims on a car whose stock 19" alloy wheels were specifically designed not just to accomodate the brakes, but to funnel air to the discs and lightweight enough so as not to hinder braking performance.

In any case, the only Ferrari I'm looking to own within my lifetime (even if I win the lottery or cash in on the stock market) is the 456GT, so suffice to say I'm another type of sucker. Like I probably will buy a $500 fountain pen that can write upside down when my own wrist doesn't like the idea, but it looks great signing something with a Porsche pen and then drive off in a Carrera S 
tongue.gif
  (in my dreams)

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #14 of 16
yes i hope skull candy and "dr dre" make their race team equipment better than their usual stuff. like attach the cables properly and whatnot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back