Former Grado owners, what are you listening with?
Jan 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #31 of 40
I see that you also have the Senn 650s. Are the K240s different enough in the ways mentioned to really bring a new sound to my listening experience with rock?

Possibly not. The k240 is in the same ballpark as the HD650 in terms of tonal balance, perhaps with more of a focus on mids. To be honest, though, I haven't compared them in the same place at the same time (HD650 at home, K240 at work).

Do you feel the HD650 is lacking something, or are you just looking for a different/complimentary sounding headphone?

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #32 of 40

Quote:
Quote:
I see that you also have the Senn 650s. Are the K240s different enough in the ways mentioned to really bring a new sound to my listening experience with rock?

Possibly not. The k240 is in the same ballpark as the HD650 in terms of tonal balance, perhaps with more of a focus on mids. To be honest, though, I haven't compared them in the same place at the same time (HD650 at home, K240 at work).
Do you feel the HD650 is lacking something, or are you just looking for a different/complimentary sounding headphone?

I am looking for a different sounding headphone; if you are interested see my OP. Thanks.

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #33 of 40
My first audiophile headphones were Grado.  About 5 years ago, I bought some SR-80s.  I used to listen to them out in the city (despite them being open, and therefore levels of background noise rendering that rather pointless) plugged into a Zune, and at home plugged into a Cambridge Audio Azur 5XX something or other. 

I caught the bug, so upgraded to the SR-125i's, then sold those again and bought some SR-225i's.  Finally I bought some SR-325i's (had those at the same time as the SR-225i's).

I enjoyed listening to them, but comfort was a huge issue, in particular with the heavy 325i's.  They just hurt you after any extended period of listening.  And as mentioned by others, they could be very, very bright (325i's in particular) which again, I found fatiguing after a while. 

I sold them, and picked up some Denon D2000s, which I had for a year or so.  These sounded less exciting to my ears but so much more comfortable.  Got rid of those too, though.

Now I own Fischer Audio, exlcusively.  Got FA-002W, FA-006, FA-004.  I must admit I do miss those Grados from time to time, but overall I think what I have now is superior.

I do have vivid memories of being blown away by the sound of Sam Cooke's voice in Night Beat, and Joni Mitchell's in Blue on those Grados.  At the time I thought the way the Grados handled their vocals just incredible.  Now, I'm not sure if that was the case or not... perhaps I simply had lower expectations prior to hearing them.

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #34 of 40

Quote:
My first audiophile headphones were Grado.  About 5 years ago, I bought some SR-80s.  I used to listen to them out in the city (despite them being open, and therefore levels of background noise rendering that rather pointless) plugged into a Zune, and at home plugged into a Cambridge Audio Azur 5XX something or other. 

I caught the bug, so upgraded to the SR-125i's, then sold those again and bought some SR-225i's.  Finally I bought some SR-325i's (had those at the same time as the SR-225i's).

I enjoyed listening to them, but comfort was a huge issue, in particular with the heavy 325i's.  They just hurt you after any extended period of listening.  And as mentioned by others, they could be very, very bright (325i's in particular) which again, I found fatiguing after a while. 

I sold them, and picked up some Denon D2000s, which I had for a year or so.  These sounded less exciting to my ears but so much more comfortable.  Got rid of those too, though.

Now I own Fischer Audio, exlcusively.  Got FA-002W, FA-006, FA-004.  I must admit I do miss those Grados from time to time, but overall I think what I have now is superior.

I do have vivid memories of being blown away by the sound of Sam Cooke's voice in Night Beat, and Joni Mitchell's in Blue on those Grados.  At the time I thought the way the Grados handled their vocals just incredible.  Now, I'm not sure if that was the case or not... perhaps I simply had lower expectations prior to hearing them.

Which ones do you reach for most often and when listening to rock, if you do?

Jan 26, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #35 of 40
I found the SR225i very shrill when I had them. Had the MS Pro's but didn't enjoy them, got the MS2i a week ago and love them. No shrillness, initially I found comfort an issue, but it was the bowl pads causing it - putting pressure on my head, not the weight/headband as I thought. Changed to the 414 pads (soon TTJV) and now I can wear them for hours on end with no discomfort, actually find them very comfortable.

Really love the sound, especially for metal.

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #36 of 40
If comfort is an issue the SR-X Mk3 isn't going to cut it. I found Grados reasonably comfortable but those little Stax torture devices I can only tolerate for about an hour or so. They're small and light but the problem is that they clamp like a medieval vice and the pads have no cushioning at all.

The Stax Lambdas on the other hand can also be relatively Grado-like in presentation, and those are very comfortable. My old SR-404 was one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, and while with Stax amps it was on the polite side, with aftermarket amps it really woke up. I don't really like the mids on it, but the newer x07 variants don't have the same problem, as do the vintage Lambdas (the original SR-Lambda can be had for fairly low prices and will absolutely destroy anything in the price-range sonically speaking).

The Omega 2 is rather laid-back, more HD650-ish. It is about as comfortable as curling up with a pillow after running a marathon, or getting into a hot tub after hours of digging snow. Sonically, I've forgotten about just about everything else for the last 2 years. But it's definitely not Grado-like.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #37 of 40
The FA-004s are most fun - I enjoy listening to rock music on those.  You can also wear them on the move, too.

They're fantastic for the price - the only headphone I've had to wow me like my first pair of Grados did.  I remember plugging them in and just laughing out loud... then started feeling quite guilty for having picked up something so good for so cheap.

Unfortunately they broke, very recently.  I've had a couple of failed attempts at fixing them.   Might buy another set simply as they're so cheap.

Quote:

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #38 of 40

Quote:

Problem largely lies with your Sugden HeadMaster ~ Class A goodness all round, unfortunately it's dead set neutral to bright, you
 may have noticed that your HD650's sound a little more sleepy off other amps if you have more than the Headmaster or at meets
 with other units. Not surprised the 325i was like sticking a wet fork into the power socket 
smile.gif

WA6-SE ~ rock'n'roll, try flat pads too as this tames the treble. Otherwise, sell up and get a second hand RS1i, it won't cost
 you an arm and a leg in a sell/swap.

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #39 of 40
Well over a few years, Grado SR60, SR125 and SR325is...now HiFiMan HE500s.

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #40 of 40
When funds come available, I am going to give the HiFiMan HE500 a real try. Everything I have read about these phones leads me to believe that I will get everything I want with one pair. Thanks to all for the recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back