Former Grado owners, what are you listening with?
Jan 20, 2012 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

auee

100+ Head-Fier
I have owned the Grado 60s and most recently the 325is. I had to give Grados another try and I am frustrated. I found the mid-range of the 325is fantastic. It is detailed, fast, forward and tonally correct. Instruments and vocals within the mid-range sound as they should.

I experienced three problem areas which I just could not overcome. First was the lower treble brightness or to my ears, shrillness. It appears to be the result of the lower treble spike in the 2kHz spike. I could not tame it by taping the bowls.  Second was that they were just too uncomfortable. They were heavy on my head with no padding on the headband and sat loosely on my ears. I am used to the comfort of the velour over-ear pads and padded headband of the Senn 650s and found the Grados ridiculously uncomfortably in comparison. Third, and to a lesser extent, was that the bass is not very extended. I most likely would have been very satisfied with the 325is if they were not overly bright and comfortable, but since they were not, the lack of low bass was just another annoyance.

So while I was enthralled by how the Grado 325is do the mid-range, I could not get around the lower treble brightness, the discomfort, and the lack of low bass. Since all Grado headphones use the same or similar headbands and ear pad material, I am done with them.

For those of you who were similarly enthralled by the Grado mid-range, what have you been listening with that get you as close to that mid-range sound without the bright treble and discomfort?  I hope I am not banging my head against the wall, but I am still hopeful, because there are so many manufacturers and so many experienced headphone listeners here.

I will add that at this point I am willing to spend what it takes. Thanks to all experienced listeners who are willing to take the time to help me.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 40
Crikey I was thinking of buying some 325i's...
blink.gif

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 40
I still love my SR-325is, but a few alternatives are the Denon family (D2000, D5000, D7000 especially), which are ultra-comfortable and bright, but not as intense as the Grados.  You'll get a boost in bass, but you'll lose some of the mids.  If you want to go all-out, then maybe LCD-2s, Beyerdynamic T1s, or Ultrasone Edition 8s are in order. 

Jan 21, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 40
I was never a fan of the recent Grado line. The SR325i is way too bright for my ears. However I do have 2 pairs of Magnums and they sound quite good and gives a bit of a familiar Grado sound but much smoother. I also own a T50RP modded to my taste as well as a HE500. There are many options out there it just depends on how much one is willing to spend. 

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 40
Just sold my SR125's. They were the first and only Grado's I've owned. I'm thankful to them for getting me into Head-Fi, but the Grado sound really isn't for me. I'm pretty sensitive to harsh treble and sibilance, the SR125 had too much of those for me to really enjoy. 

The next cans I bought were Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80s. Those were a bit of a 180 from the SR125s, bass and sub-bass heavy, recessed mids and very comfortable(unlike the torture device that is Grado.) Now I've got my HiFiMAN HE-500s which I've fallen deeply in love with. Never had even a hint of harshness, which seems to be the overall theme of these headphones - completely enjoyable in every aspect. They have great balance, mids are especially warm(I hear that the LCD-2 is even better in this regard) and they extend low without ever being boomy. I love that there is no disconnect between mid-bass and sub-bass.

I don't know what makes for the feeling of "impact" in headphone design, but the HE-500 really do it. Soundstage doesn't have as much depth as some other headphones, but is wide and instrument seperation is great.

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 40
Firstly, I still own an MS2i (and I love it), listening on my friends HD650 at the moment.

To my ears, I suggest the HD650. The separation is better in a sense, slightly wider sound stage than my ms2i. HD650 has almost the same midrange sensation that I hear on my MS2i but not near enough to my liking.

Why HD650? Because: 

a.) I usually listen to them when I'm coding some websites (the forwardness of MS2i makes me lose focus)
b.) I think HD650 is the type of headphone that can't go wrong in terms of audio quality. It's the type that 'just works', and sounds perfectly OK, or it may sound like 99 levels of heaven if that's the sound you like.
c.) Treble is not as forward/shrill? (Then again, I chose the MS2i because I couldn't handle the treble of the 325i, though the MS2i's treble is still quite forward sounding).
d.) Mid-range is awesome (not as awesome as my ms2i).
e.) Bass is lovely, too much when paired with my Maverick A1
f.) It sounds as if the HD650 is more detailed than my MS2i. MS2i has a much more sandwiched sound, you really have to concentrate and listen for background strings/synth intruments for example.
g.) For my slightly large head, it does have a bit of a grip at first, but goes unnoticed after an hour or so. I've worn them  for 2 weeks 15 hours + a day, and I can say they are quite OK in terms of comfort.
h.) You will have the option of matching various amps of your choice with the HD650. Grados fare well enough without amps.

By the way I'm with you on the comfort of Grados, I absolutely HATE the comfy pads, makes my ears red, sweaty, it should really be called hellpads (this was when I had an SR60i).

Good luck!

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 40

Quote:
Firstly, I still own an MS2i (and I love it), listening on my friends HD650 at the moment.

To my ears, I suggest the HD650. The separation is better in a sense, slightly wider sound stage than my ms2i. HD650 has almost the same midrange sensation that I hear on my MS2i but not near enough to my liking.

Why HD650? Because: 

a.) I usually listen to them when I'm coding some websites (the forwardness of MS2i makes me lose focus)
b.) I think HD650 is the type of headphone that can't go wrong in terms of audio quality. It's the type that 'just works', and sounds perfectly OK, or it may sound like 99 levels of heaven if that's the sound you like.
c.) Treble is not as forward/shrill? (Then again, I chose the MS2i because I couldn't handle the treble of the 325i, though the MS2i's treble is still quite forward sounding).
d.) Mid-range is awesome (not as awesome as my ms2i).
e.) Bass is lovely, too much when paired with my Maverick A1
f.) It sounds as if the HD650 is more detailed than my MS2i. MS2i has a much more sandwiched sound, you really have to concentrate and listen for background strings/synth intruments for example.
g.) For my slightly large head, it does have a bit of a grip at first, but goes unnoticed after an hour or so. I've worn them  for 2 weeks 15 hours + a day, and I can say they are quite OK in terms of comfort.
h.) You will have the option of matching various amps of your choice with the HD650. Grados fare well enough without amps.

By the way I'm with you on the comfort of Grados, I absolutely HATE the comfy pads, makes my ears red, sweaty, it should really be called hellpads (this was when I had an SR60i).

Good luck!

I may be wrong, but I think the OP inferred that he owns the HD-650 or did in the past. Otherwise I may have mentioned them as something to try, as I think your recommendation is spot-on.

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 40
I totally didn't read the OP's signature lol. In that case I am at a loss at suggestions, I am also thinking of an upgrade soon. Eyeing the hifiman HE-400/PS-500s, oh well looks like I need to make another trip at Jaben and have an audition fest.

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 40
Jan 21, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #12 of 40
I had SR60is until I got my Beyerdynamic T1s. One hell of a jump between the two, let me tell you!!

Jan 21, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #13 of 40
op doesn't want to 'jump' up some imaginary scale. he wants to have the best of grado without grado's obvious and well documented faults. None of the phones you guys are suggesting has the grado type midrange and grado presentation. Magnums do but that route would involve some DIY spirit and a soldering iron which few seem to have.

Jan 21, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #14 of 40

Quote:
Magnums do but that route would involve some DIY spirit and a soldering iron which few seem to have.

I'm sure there's quite a few places that would install magnum drivers for under 30 dollars if you're not capable (I'm sure as hell not. My hands shake too much.)

I think Magnums would be the most reasonable upgrade, since they do give you the same kind of sound, but smoother, and it's not too costly... or higher end Grados, obviously.

The issues with the 325i's that the OP has are extremely common gripes about the 'phones, honestly, so it might even be worth it to take a look at lower end Grados like the 225i.

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #15 of 40
Thanks the recommendations; please keep the coming. 

I own the Sennheiser 650s.  Also, I am not interested in modified Grados, in part, because the on-ear design, foam ear pads and headband are not comfortable to me.

I think I covered these issues in my original post.

Anyway, thanks again to all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back