Former Counter Strike junkie makes inquiries
Nov 15, 2009 at 8:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Clutz

Tells us when we're offset.
Hey all,

I'm a former Counter Strike junkie (actually, I enjoyed Starsiege Tribes even more), and I'm looking for a new FPS. I haven't played any real FPS since Counter Strike mod for Half Life. I haven't played condition zero or Counter Strike:Source. I'm considering buying a new FPS game since I installed Win7 on my MBP under bootcamp, but I'm not sure what to do. I'm contemplating between getting Battlefield 2, Orange Box, and the CounterStrike set on STEAM. I've got a 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro with 4.0 GB 1033 Mhz DDR 3 RAM and a 9600M GT video card.

I'm leaning towards Orange Box, but I don't know if playing CounterStrike:Source is an option that way through mods? Or do I need to buy CounterStrike:Source for that? I really liked how in CS, once you died- you were dead for the remainder of the round, although my favourite FPS of all time is definitely Tribes. Are there any new games out there that have similar game play to Counter Strike, or shiould I just stick with the original? Are people even still playing it?

Cheers,
Brad

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 17
The Orange Box does not include CS:S, it includes Team Fortress 2 which is completely different from CS, with different "characters" and classes and so on, a bit like Bf2 but without any tactics, just mindless deathmatch action.

If i were you i'd buy CS:S, it's cheap on steam, less than 15$ if i remember correctly, it's still played worldwide by thousands of people...

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #3 of 17
And, if I remember correctly, you can use CS:S as a platform for other free HL2 mods.

Tbh, I don't like CS much. If you want more of the same, go for CS:S but if you want a change there are plenty of other online FPS's. I don't think there's any others I know of that have the whole 'die for a round' thing, but I'm not really a fan of that.

Consider Cod4. It has a massive online community and with the amount of mods and custom maps available, it can really be any game you want it to be.

Also look into Bf2. Massive maps and very tactical. Or wait for Battlefield Bad Company 2 lke I am.

Nov 15, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #4 of 17
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare II.

Nov 15, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks for the input guys- what I really enjoyed about CounterStrike and Tribes was the importance of tactics in both of them. I'll take a look into COD4 and BF2. Whatever I do, I will quite probably get a wireless keyboard and mouse so that I can hook this up to my 46" PLASMA.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 17
I've been FPS gaming for quite a while and I'll tell you right now that nothing will replace CS1.6 (no, DEFINITELY not source). TF2 is a pretty fun game and from what I've seen BF2 looks good (but I've never played it). CoD4 is fun but gets boring somewhat quickly and is very easy to play (unless you try playing competitively but even that isn't at the same level as CS in terms of difficulty and strategy)

Take a look into CSPromod (http://cspromod.com/). This, if all goes well, will replace CS1.6. That is a big IF, however, because of lots of delay in development and the stubborn nature of the CS community not wanting to switch to a different game.

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input guys- what I really enjoyed about CounterStrike and Tribes was the importance of tactics in both of them. I'll take a look into COD4 and BF2. Whatever I do, I will quite probably get a wireless keyboard and mouse so that I can hook this up to my 46" PLASMA.
smily_headphones1.gif

FWIW, I've tried in vain to pull this off - no wireless keyboards are up to the task for FPS games. They either have latency issues or occasionally/momentarily lose sync. There are good wireless mice, but no good wireless keyboards that I could find.

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 17
If you're looking for mods, there's the CS:S or TF2 + Garry's Mod packs for $25. Garry's Mod probably the best sandbox game in the world and there is no end to great and free mods and all sorts of interesting things for it.

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 17
I was kind of like you a while ago, I tried TF2 and found it was not really for me, Half the time I don't know what i'm doing. I liked CS because all you had to do was get a decent K/D ratio, I was never in a clan so I don't know anything about the techniques and liked it that way. I played cod4 off and on for about 2 months, fun game when you start but then it gets boring. You should get the orange box and try it, it's totally diff but you might like that. The game should run ok because source engine games are more CPU dependant and you have a decent CPU.

Nov 15, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 17
If you go to COD, you'll probably be pissed off with spray noobs. That is my frustration with COD and I even play CS:S which has bigger hit boxes than the original CS.

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #12 of 17
I'm a CS (1.6) player myself. Quite avid but not really any good. If you don't care about graphics, there's really no reason to go for CS:S over 1.6. 1.6 is still popular (I don't know how popular it is relative to Source though) and is just as fun.

The only other shooter I play is COD4 but that probably isn't what you're looking for (no tactics... instant spawn).

Well I guess I had nothing to contribute. Try 1.6 again, it's still fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #13 of 17
In CSS, you really get to see just how bad spraying is in maps like office. Head over to dust2 or something and then you really can't spray.

I used to play 1.6 but because all my friends play CSS I swapped.

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #15 of 17
Depends on what you're into.

CS:S is a very tactical game and it moves slow for the most part. Very paced action. It's a classic but I found it getting old. If you get serious about it (read: join a clan/server) it has a lot of potential but pub matches really lost their appeal for me because of the lack of teamwork and general frustration with people only caring about their own score and not the objectives.

I played the singleplayer of CoD and a little bit online but never really got into it. It's a serious FPS and it takes some time to get to the point where you feel comfortable online (read: not dying every 10 seconds). I felt it was a lot like CS:S with some different mechanics and better graphics. It's also more complicated than CS:S.

TF2 is just plain crazy. Comic book characters exploding left and right. There's more strategy than you may think (depending on the server's atmosphere and the people playing) because of the various classes and map objectives. Gameplay is always interesting because of fairly quick respawn. It's a favorite of mine but it's not a very "serious" game.

L4D(2) is similar to TF2 in style, but teamplay is obviously much, much more important. It's a good game but I find playing it requires more of an investment because you want to see the campaign through - it's not as much of a "pick up and play" game. Also, I'm not really sure it's worth the $50 when you can get Orange Box with more (and better) games for the same price or less. It's also not so much of a first person shooter as games like CS:S or CoD.

Shattered Horizons looks good but some reviews say it's a little bland. It's definitely a whole new concept in FPS and it's back to the basics with a single gun.

I played BF2142 in a clan for a little over a year and it's one amazing game. It takes some investment to get good at it though. Also, the number of people playing seems to be dwindling a bit. BF2 is essentially the same without the cool futuristic style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back