Format Migration
May 4, 2010 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

colonelkernel8

Headphoneus Supremus
Today I decided that I am done putting up with my 80 GB iPod Classic (Gen 6). This device is so slow it's frightening. It literally takes 5 seconds to pause a song. On top of that, iTunes, which is likely the most horrendously inefficient media software ever created, now takes a solid 20 seconds to launch as of its latest update.

My concern is format. Unfortunately, my entire CD collection is ripped in ALAC (thanks again iTunes), I would like to convert this format to another lossless format that I can play on a Cowon S9. I am also mildly obsessive compulsive about my music's organization on the hard drive. Is there a software solution available to me that can automate this process and keep the music organized?

As far as organizing the music on the player, is MediaMonkey a good option?

May 4, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm going to assume you are a PC guy because I understand your pain in regards to iTunes. iTunes retrofitted for the PC is just not very good and I am tired of it myself. Unfortunately, the alternatives for maintaining my iTouch have fallen short so I put up with it. But I digress.

As for converting ALAC to, let's say, FLAC - I'm a big fan of dbPoweramp. Been using it for years and love it. I primarily use it for ripping CDs and transcoding from FLAC to MP3 V0 for my DAPs. There is a batch converter that can convert entire folders and you can have it create dynamic destination folders driven by your metadata while it converts.

As for maintaining a music library - I use foobar. It is totally free and very flexible. They've got the install down to a pretty intuitive process but the power of foobar is its tweakability. I used to use MediaMonkey but didn't like how it monitored my library (which, btw, if you want to have it do automagically - you have to purchase the gold version). I also found that it grew into a bit of a resource hog. Nothing like iTunes mind you, but certainly much more so than foobar.

May 4, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #3 of 6
x2 for DBpoweramp, excellent set of programs

For tagging I find Tag&Rename very good.

May 4, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 6
Sounds like the HD in your iPod might be failing. Have you tried restoring it? Maybe the disk is fragmented badly?

May 5, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iPod has been slow since the day I bought it. I have restored it a few times.

Weird. All mine have responded reasonably quickly. Yours might actually be faulty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back