forgotten glory; Sony NW-S705.
May 31, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #16 of 42
What about the Sony NW-A608? That one is even older i guess by looking at the numbers?

May 31, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricthaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
those were some wonderfull times with nice hardware. The NW-S705 is the only player where you just weren't able to see the screen. it was as if the screen was non existing. So magnificent!!

Do you use your NW-S705 regularly?? I use mine pretty often nowadays. I always reach beyond my iPhone, NW-HD1, NWZ-S516 and Sansa Clip to get the NW-S705. There's something about it's sound...... I can't put my finger on it.

I was lucky enough to find one brand new at work an worked out a deal for 30 euro's for a brand new NW-S705. Not too bad I think
wink.gif

rgds

I only use mine in the speaker cradle now. I might have to give it a listen again! God, it was funny looking at album art on it, it was so small, and yet I could always recognise the cover! Oh, and the invisible screen was genius
normal_smile .gif

This is a pic I took months ago with my other Sony daps.

threedaps.jpg

May 31, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

those were some wonderfull times with nice hardware. The NW-S705 is the only player where you just weren't able to see the screen. it was as if the screen was non existing. So magnificent!!

Do you use your NW-S705 regularly?? I use mine pretty often nowadays. I always reach beyond my iPhone, NW-HD1, NWZ-S516 and Sansa Clip to get the NW-S705. There's something about it's sound...... I can't put my finger on it.

I was lucky enough to find one brand new at work an worked out a deal for 30 euro's for a brand new NW-S705. Not too bad I think
wink.gif

rgds

thanks for replying and wow I honestly forgot how good this player is! everything you say is true, the screen was really remarkable & the sound was very engaging, I remember I gave it to a cousin of mine because of the sonicstage but now you made me regret it badly!
tongue.gif
Im definitely asking for it back lol

edit: a picture i'm proud of taking
smily_headphones1.gif
:
dsc00639o.jpg

May 31, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #19 of 42
hehe no biggie
wink.gif

Yes the NW-S70x series were some awsome pieces of equipment
wink.gif

Soozieq is using the same IEM's as me, at least in the Photograph. I wonder how she likes the combo? Does she like the Triple.fi/NW-S70x combo as much as I do??

@ ramintop: I sold mine because I went Mac, so no-go for good'old sonicstage. Now I use it with my mac thanks to some little program that syncs music to my NW-S705 and it works like a charm.

@soozieq: I see n your sig that you sold the TF10's. Now you own the westone 3's, right? Could you maybe do me a little favor and try the westones with the NW-S705?? I'd like to know how that combo sounds. My TF10's really seem to come alive with the NW-S705. It has huge amounts of juice to drive my TF10's just like they should be driven imho.

(this starts to look like an Atraclife topic more and more.... :p )

Rgds and thanks for the pics!!!
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still have my shiny black S706 and I'd never part with it. It was my first Sony dap, before that I'd been using something weird from Packard Bell, and before that my Sony PCDP.

richtaman-
I remember those days on Atraclife.

Someone had to explain to me in great detail how to get into the 'shuffle 3 albums at a time' mode
atsmile.gif

And of course, it was the WORLD'S FIRST PLAYER with noise-cancelling built into the circuitry
smily_headphones1.gif

i was not part of atraclife, but rather minidisc.org where i spend my days prior to hydrogenaudio.org and now headfi. perhaps we even argued there? i have had the chance to listen to most of sony's 1994-2004 MD models and to be sure, the ones around 1995 were much, much better sounding than the HiMD models and the surrounding generation that were brought out to stem the flow of MP3.

May 31, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #22 of 42
I've got a NW-S705 as well that I still use sometimes-I like the sound quality of it and the built-in noise cancellation.

Mine cost $99.

May 31, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

@soozieq: I see n your sig that you sold the TF10's. Now you own the westone 3's, right? Could you maybe do me a little favor and try the westones with the NW-S705?? I'd like to know how that combo sounds. My TF10's really seem to come alive with the NW-S705. It has huge amounts of juice to drive my TF10's just like they should be driven imho.
(this starts to look like an Atraclife topic more and more.... :p )
Rgds and thanks for the pics!!!
biggrin.gif

I'm listening to it right now with my W3, hahahahaha!! And it drives them perfectly. But guess what? I've forgotten how to get to the Home Menu!! No, I really have, how do you get there? I just keep scrolling through albums and can't access the home menu at all
dt880smile.png

I'd forgotten how much I loved that invisible screen and the moving dots on the screensaver. Sony were really proud of the design, I remember that very well! Anyway, back to more listening in the garden. It's HOT here in the UK!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was not part of atraclife, but rather minidisc.org where i spend my days prior to hydrogenaudio.org and now headfi. perhaps we even argued there? i have had the chance to listen to most of sony's 1994-2004 MD models and to be sure, the ones around 1995 were much, much better sounding than the HiMD models and the surrounding generation that were brought out to stem the flow of MP3.

Hey Shigz, I was at HA briefly but only to find out what it was all about. In fact, one of the guys there bought the Denon C700 after I bought them and he posted in the C700 thread about them, what a small world
biggrin.gif

ricthaman-
I'll take some new pics of my 706 later with my other earphones
ksc75smile.gif

May 31, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #25 of 42
thx soozieq.

The home menu can be accessed by pressing and holding the little button in the metal part just beneath the 'VOL - ' button.

I'd looooove to see those pics. How do you like the NW-S705 after all that time with newer and more advanced DAP's?? I love it's purity en simplicity. It does what it does best, sound good and provide pure musical bliss.

It's hot in The Netherlands too btw
biggrin.gif

rgds

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #26 of 42
yall made me go pull my s706 from the drawer, haven't listened in years, it puts the s738 to shame! too bad mine has a headphone socket issue, if i dont use my thumb to apply pressure to the plug, it only plays out one ear. anyone can fix?

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #28 of 42
Now I found a little nifty program that syncs my music to my NW-S705 on my mac, but does anybody hav any possible clue how to get the Album Art transfered with the songs??

Grz

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #29 of 42
Thanks Ramintop and richtaman, I found the button to get to the home menu eventually. I didn't use it before because I thought it was the 'off' button ha ha. I'd forgotten how to use my 706
k701smile.gif

Anyway, it holds up pretty well considering it's 2 years old and Sony have bought out a zillion players since then. To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard a Sony dap that actually sounded bad, they've all been good. And the 706 has better battery life too! I put it on 'time machine' and just listened randomly, it was fun
L3000.gif

I took some pics, will upload later
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #30 of 42
Here's my 706 with the Westone 3 and JVC-FX1000
smily_headphones1.gif

I LOVE the invisible screen!

w3sony.jpg

jvcsony.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back