For those who want isolation.. DT660 !!!
Aug 27, 2007 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
Holy moly...
Tried these the other day and WOW, talk about isolation. Quite nearly like a moderately isolating IEM.

More than a DT770-80 and HD280. WAY more than an MDRV6.

They have a wierd sound... Bright midrange-ish emphasis. Rolled off at the ends of the spectrum. Decent detail resolution within its frequency band. So they are not without their sonic flaws (unless that is the sonic signature you are looking for). But their isolation, is very good and thus far a bit un-noticed, as far as forum popularity goes. They are a bit heavy, thick grade plastic that damps acoustic vibrations and ambient noise. They are pretty much a head-vise, so those who are sensitive to headband pressure should look elsewhere.

Garrett

Aug 27, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 20
I find them comfortable, clamp is nothing, and the weight isn't bad at all. :p Isolation is very good, but my IEMs easily trump it. I have 2 massive computers in my cube, with *big* fans on everything. The fan whir still gets through, but not on my IM716 (once the foams are fully expanded).

I don't find the MDRV6 isolating at all, my K81DJ is way better.

I actually find the sound very good. It's smooth. It's bright, but not sibilant (to my ears) and not harsh at all. It flows like liquid. The upper freq isn't boosted, like the DT990, I would say it comes about from a stangancy in level where it would roll off naturally, to keep a flatter measurement. I'm nearly deaf above 16KHz with a minor case of tinnitus, but I didn't find it rolled off before that at all. The bass is though, but it's still impactful when the tracks are. I am quite surprised at the sound. I bought these as a prelude to buying the K271S, but I'm not sure I will get the K271S for comparison now. I'm pretty sure the K271S will have a warmer sound.

BTW, I have the '07 DT660, which is what you auditioned.

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 20
I bought HD25-1's just recently, and those have excellent isolation (a bit better than DT770/80). I was actually considering getting the DT660's when deciding on a semi-portable solution, and regret getting the 25's, which I'm not liking. The 660's fully fold, right? Maybe I'll get rid of the 25's and get 660's, instead.

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #4 of 20
They fold as much as the RP-21. They are full-sized as well, but if that means portable for you, then it's fine.

I can't comment as to whether these headphones are for you. I like them, but it seems that I am partial to Beyer.

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 20
Interesting indeed. I had never heard of the DT660's before. The isolation is very tempting.

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #6 of 20
More tan a DT770 huh? I kind of expected them to be similar...thanks for the info!

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #7 of 20
Do they have Bass like the 770's & brightness like SR80's?

Aug 28, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And do they cost less than a penny, and are they more attractive than Jessica Alba?
3000smile.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by shleepy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And do they cost less than a penny, and are they more attractive than Jessica Alba?
3000smile.gif

that aint right!

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No and No. It's flatter, dare I say very flat and rolls off at the beginning of the bass freq. Normally, there should be a slight elevation in the bass and low-mid to warm things up and for impact.

The upper freq is almost equal to the mids in intensity. The shape is very much like all the other Beyers, particularly the DT990, only not boosted. If you take the DT990 and remove the bass and treble boost and recess the bass a hair more, you'll have the DT660.

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find them comfortable, clamp is nothing, and the weight isn't bad at all. :p Isolation is very good, but my IEMs easily trump it. I have 2 massive computers in my cube, with *big* fans on everything. The fan whir still gets through, but not on my IM716 (once the foams are fully expanded).

I don't find the MDRV6 isolating at all, my K81DJ is way better.

I actually find the sound very good. It's smooth. It's bright, but not sibilant (to my ears) and not harsh at all. It flows like liquid. The upper freq isn't boosted, like the DT990, I would say it comes about from a stangancy in level where it would roll off naturally, to keep a flatter measurement. I'm nearly deaf above 16KHz with a minor case of tinnitus, but I didn't find it rolled off before that at all. The bass is though, but it's still impactful when the tracks are. I am quite surprised at the sound. I bought these as a prelude to buying the K271S, but I'm not sure I will get the K271S for comparison now. I'm pretty sure the K271S will have a warmer sound.

BTW, I have the '07 DT660, which is what you auditioned.

I thought they sounded very good overall. I think I tend to favor midrange-bright sounding cans though, with mids that project. Given my personal preferences I wouldn't consider the DT660 bright enough to be flawed. Mids are forward, yet smooth and non-fatiging, with some nice treble roll-off at the highest frequencies. I found your DT990 and its treble boost to be brighter overall than the DT660. Then again, I am uber-sensitive to boosted treble above ~10khz... it gives me tinnitus if I am not careful (hence my RS1 preference).

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 20
Zero clamp for me as well, average isolation. Make sure you get the 2007 edition for better build quality. The 2007 edition has a diferent style (chrome plated... meh), but the same sound as the pre-2007 edition. I had both editions at the same time for a while and they do sound the same after burn in. The headband has been changed and the overall feel is much tighter, it doesn't flop around as much. If you have an old one, try to return it for the new one, they should be the same price. I got mine from thomann.de pretty quick.

Also, if you like the sound of the DT660 and want the same signature in an open can, then go for the DT860. The exact same thing, right down to the drivers, except... open! Remember to get the 2007 edition of this one as well.

If you like lean bass, the DT660 and the K271S are pretty much the best closed cans at approx £90/$180. The DT660 has the forward "Grado-ish" sig, while the K271S is mid centric without treble rolloff. They complement each other quite well. DT660=energetic, K271S=relaxation.

I'm pretty much finished with full size cans (I have the DT860 and SRR325i as well) until some future massive salary hike.

Oh, a quick note about the DT880. Although it's technically a better can then both the DT660 and DT860 in terms of resolution and frequency response, the sig is slightly dryer and honestly quite boring. It also requires more expensive equipment to fully realise those extra details so not really Md-Fi.

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zero clamp for me as well, average isolation. Make sure you get the 2007 edition for better build quality. The 2007 edition has a diferent style (chrome plated... meh), but the same sound as the pre-2007 edition. I had both editions at the same time for a while and they do sound the same after burn in. The headband has been changed and the overall feel is much tighter, it doesn't flop around as much. If you have an old one, try to return it for the new one, they should be the same price. I got mine from thomann.de pretty quick.

Also, if you like the sound of the DT660 and want the same signature in an open can, then go for the DT860. The exact same thing, right down to the drivers, except... open! Remember to get the 2007 edition of this one as well.

If you like lean bass, the DT660 and the K271S are pretty much the best closed cans at approx £90/$180. The DT660 has the forward "Grado-ish" sig, while the K271S is mid centric without treble rolloff. They complement each other quite well. DT660=energetic, K271S=relaxation.

I'm pretty much finished with full size cans (I have the DT860 and SRR325i as well) until some future massive salary hike.

Oh, a quick note about the DT880. Although it's technically a better can then both the DT660 and DT860 in terms of resolution and frequency response, the sig is slightly dryer and honestly quite boring. It also requires more expensive equipment to fully realise those extra details so not really Md-Fi.

Of the 3 closed cans that you have, how would you rate the isolation? I'm looking for a isolating closed can to give my ear canals an occasional break from IEMs.

Aug 28, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #14 of 20
I thought the Beyer line started at the 770... when did the 660 first come out?

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #15 of 20
A while ago, head-fi has some reviews going back pre-2004 at least. I think there was a DT440 at one point as well. I don't know about the history so I can't comment. I know there was a progenitor to the DT660, DT600 or DT640, or something like that. I know the number is wrong, I can't remember what it is though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back