For Those Who Think 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle Sounds Great
Apr 16, 2009 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

moses1258

100+ Head-Fier
Hi! I'm new to Head-fi and it's great to hear the varying opinions on gear. What I'm looking for is a system (DAP and amp) that sounds as good as the 1st gen ipod shuffle sounds. The two things the shuffle does not have is capacity and the ability to play gapless. I'm using B&O A5's and Grado 325's as headpones. Could you members who think the 1st gen shuffle is THE DAP (soundwise) please advise me? Thanks

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 9
Haven't' heard that ipod in some years, but I loved it. I would say to look into the 2G Touch. It has great SQ and you can use a LOD -> Amp to make it sound even better. I have the 1G Touch and 4G Nano and I use a Lod -> iBasso setup.

The 2G has better SQ than both so it should be amazing.

If you want more space, the classics are great also; and if you want even more SQ you can get an iMod. They are around 600 I think but are the only iPods with direct line out.

Apr 19, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 9
I still have my 1st Gen Shuffle and I think they sound fine, except for the levels of hiss, which drives me nuts. Same thing with the 2nd gen shuffle. The Clip and Fuze both sound much cleaner than the Shuffle imo, and their headphone-outs are more powerful than the Shuffle's. I don't know if those two can play gapless though.

Apr 19, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #4 of 9
I have 2 ,1st gen. and 1, 2nd gen. shuffle and they all sound great. My 2nd gen. "candy apple red" shuffle is my portable "Go To" DAP. I usually use a travagans colors micro amp between my shuffle and my Shure PTH so with the shuffle at 80%, Hiss is no problem. My triple driver C-3 customs are only 16 ohms so without an amp I need to keep the volume so low that hiss can be a problem.

Apr 19, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 9
YoungSpade-
Thanks for the suggestions, I've been thinking along the same lines. Two things:

1) In regards to the touch-I've read here on Head-fi that the touch has some electronic noise issues, especially when you're using the wi-fi. Is that your experience?

2) Will the iBasso D10 ever be in stock again? I want it for the dac/amp combo, but I've been checking the site and it never seems to be in stock.

Thanks again.

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 9
I had the 1G shuffle and loved it. Had two of them in fact. I didn't think the 2G was as good at all. I have a 2G iPod touch and I think it's very good. Perhaps almost as good as the 1G shuffle.

Apr 21, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 9
The D10 is being build and shipped as fast as orders come in so if you want it just order it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back