For those who liked the SA5k, how is the K701; part b: PPX3 pairing?
Oct 1, 2006 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Veniogenesis

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi everyone,

I don't know if there are many people who like the SA5k over the HD650, but if there are, I was wondering if I could get some tips. :p So basically, I currently own the HD650 and the SA5k. My mom uses the HD650 back at home, and I'm parting with my current SA5k pretty soon (don't ask
tongue.gif
). So that leaves me with no headphone at college.
frown.gif

I've never heard the K701, but I've begun considering it.
smily_headphones1.gif
I personally don't like the HD650's dark signature and the "veil" doesn't work too well with my most of my music. (It works great with classical, but not so great with industrial, rock such as Tool, pop and electronic stuff.) Yeah, it's probably weird, but I think the SA5k sounds quite good. I'm planning on buying a PPX3 in December since one of my friends back home gave me a chance to listen to one with my SA5k and HD650, and it was great. Anyways, I was wondering if somone who likes the brutal speed and tight punch of the SA5k (and strangely, I have never understood people saying the SA5k has no bass. They have a great deal with some setups.) and has heard the K701 could give me some insight. Hmm, to rebuy the SA5k or to buy the K701. Blah.
biggrin.gif

On a totally off topic note, I listened to the AD2000 over at my friend's room today. Gah, it's great.
biggrin.gif
Not as much bass or speed as the SA5k, but very smooth and delicate.

Thanks and cheers,
Venio

Oct 1, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 6
Edit: Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
I don't know if there are many people who like the SA5k over the HD650, but if there are...

Well I haven't heard either, so you be the judge of my simple comparos.

Not much will give you the speed of the SA5K unless you go into Electrostats (or the 010 which should be out of your price range). The K701's don't quite have the speed or brightness of your beloved SA5k off the bat, but if that's something you're looking for, you'll need to buy a bright, fast amplifier, seeing as the K701's are SO true to their companion components. (Not sure if the PPX will cut it... I know zip about this amp though, so you decide)

I think if you want the SA5K sound signature (sorta) but also something different, the Sony CD3K is the next step. Although a generation behind, these are arguably a much better set of cans. Their only fault seems to be that they are too revealing of crap source/amplification. Seeing as you're looking to buy some darn quality products, you shouldn't worry about this. (Owners of a CD3K agree with this statement?)

Anyway, I think you have a good handle on things. Before going into the uber bucks price range, I'd have to agree that the AD2000, CD3000 and SA5000 are some of the fastest dynamic headphones around.

Oct 1, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162
The K701's don't quite have the speed or brightness of your beloved SA5k off the bat, but if that's something you're looking for, you'll need to buy a bright, fast amplifier. (Not sure if the PPX will cut it... I know zip about it though, so that's for you to decide)

Thanks for the tips.
biggrin.gif
I know the that the PPX3 will slow down the speed somewhat due to the nature of tube amps. I think the SA5k and the PPX3 (or SLAM for that matter) balance nicely since the tubes will slow down the headphone a bit but the result won't be too much. With a headphone that is not particularly fast by itself, I'm guessing a tube will make it too slow for my tastes. (Blah, I should have paid more attention when I heard the PPX3 with a HD650.)

How does the speed and bass of the K701 compare with the HD650 or AD2000? I'm assuming it's faster than the HD650? I dunno.
tongue.gif

Thanks!
Venio

Oct 1, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 6
Not exactly sure on this one. My K701's haven't arrived yet, however, by reading some reviews, I can honestly say most think it fares pretty well with fast paced music. I've heard that due to it's ability to position instruments and put them in a space of their own, even extremely complex passages don't get very congested ever.

Don't know about the AD2000, but the people who have them seem to think fairly highly of them, if that's anything to go buy. It's AT though, so you can expect a fast, punchy and most likely somewhat bright sound signature. Will it b anywhere close to that of the SA5K? Probably not. More comparable to the K701 if I were to take a shot at guessing.

Hope this helps.

Oct 1, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 6
Well I'm not a huge fan of the SA5K so take this with a grain of salt, but owning the K701 previously (and having the Sonys to test right now) I think you'll find the AKG points a bit more towards the Senns than the Sonys. If you liked the SA5000 substantially over the HD650, I gotta think you'd be happier with another Sony (or her sister AT) than the AKG, but who knows?

And I don't think the SA5K has no bass, it just is so treble focused that the bass feels under-represented.

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 6
Wow, we could be the same person. I loved my SA5Ks for all the same reasons (quick, forward, engaging) and disliked the laid-back HD600s (though they were a real treat for classical) for their "veil". I sold both, and am looking for a cheaper replacement to the SA5Ks.... Alas, I can't really help you, except to say you're not the only one!

I've had my eyes on IEMs. College is loud. Or at least mine is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back