For those who have heard the Q40's...is there a better set of hip-hop cans under $200?
Sep 7, 2009 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ThePope3290

100+ Head-Fier
'Cause if there is, I would LOVE to hear them. These Q40's are absolutely amazing for hip-hop. I have 5,000 songs on my iPod and I feel like I'm hearing them all for the first time again. Sorry for my over-excitement.
happy_face1.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 12
Sounds like compressed mp3's to me...

You may want to consider finding higher quality recordings. Having 5k songs on an iPod just mean that they're crazy compressed. Rip them from CDs or buy them individually at a bitrate of at least 256, preferably 320kbps.

Not to sound like a plug or anything, but my favorite cans for hip hop are the DT150's. The bass is fantastic, deep, smooth, well controlled. These are followed by the ES7s then DT770. IMO, for $200, it'd be better to start obtaining higher quality material.

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like compressed mp3's to me...

You may want to consider finding higher quality recordings. Having 5k songs on an iPod just mean that they're crazy compressed. Rip them from CDs or buy them individually at a bitrate of at least 256, preferably 320kbps.

Not to sound like a plug or anything, but my favorite cans for hip hop are the DT150's. The bass is fantastic, deep, smooth, well controlled. These are followed by the ES7s then DT770. IMO, for $200, it'd be better to start obtaining higher quality material.

Uhhhh...where in my post did you get the impression that I have a problem with my music. All of my music is ripped from CD's at AAC 256/320.

Sep 7, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find hip hop in generally is highly compressed or processed. That, or the sound of synthesized sound doesn't sound right to my ears.

Plenty of well mastered hip-hop out there tbh.

Dr. Dre 'The Chronic' being the benchmark album.
Anyway, if you want bass, the iPod isn't ideal for that. (lean on bass vs. other DAPs).
For deep bass sub $200, the JVC HP-FX500 canalphones are the bass kings.

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #10 of 12
I think you should enjoy your new headphones. In my opinion, to a non-analytical audiophile who just want to hear their music well like myself (and Im guessing you to be as well), any money spent on new phones now is going to result in smaller and smaller incremental improvements nowhere near the improvement you made from old to new.

Diminishing returns. I say enjoy your new headphones.

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #12 of 12
I'd like to know of other headphones that match the Q40's in bass impact. Head-Fi'er Nirvana1000 recommended them to me and they were every bit as astounding as I could want. He replaced the Beyer DT770's with them because he reckoned that the bass impact was very disappointing with the Beyer's despite the mass hype attributed to them.

I replaced the Sennheiser HD650's with the Q40's and didn't look back, they're able to go louder than anyone can bear without distortion on the low end, which the HD650's were very poor at.

Unfortunately, the right channel of mine died recently and whilst I get them sorted out, I'm perusing alternatives. From what I have gathered the Audiotechnica PRO700, A700, M50 and the A&H XD-53 may be some of the closest competitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back