For those of you who don't live with your parents
Feb 5, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2-3 times a month. We'd talk more often if it wasn't long distance, I keep sending them a link to Skype so we can talk more often but they never d/l and I keep paying for long distance rates.
rolleyes.gif

iGig, if you use cable, try voip. I've changed to voip since 2 years ago and never look back. We tried packet8, it's ok, nothing special and last us for 18 months before we change it to Viatalk. It's a lot better, more features and trouble free. We don't have any major issues up to now and it's cheap. We sign up for 1 year plan for $200.00 and you got one free year so basically it's 2 years for $200.00, unlimited calling across USA, Canada. I highly recommend them. If you want, pm me your email address and I'll send you a referer. For every referal, you'll get 10% off
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iGig, if you use cable, try voip. I've changed to voip since 2 years ago and never look back. We tried packet8, it's ok, nothing special and last us for 18 months before we change it to Viatalk. It's a lot better, more features and trouble free. We don't have any major issues up to now and it's cheap. We sign up for 1 year plan for $200.00 and you got one free year so basically it's 2 years for $200.00, unlimited calling across USA, Canada. I highly recommend them. If you want, pm me your email address and I'll send you a referer. For every referal, you'll get 10% off
wink.gif

Hi RYCeT, thanks for your suggestion. I'll look into Viatalk and see if they have good rates to El Salvador, that's where my parents live.
Skype is pretty good too, $30/year is all I'd pay to call USA and Canada.
Mexico and Central America is more, unless my dad downloads the program and then it would be FREEEEEE!
eggosmile.gif

You're right about voip, it's the only way to go.
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #33 of 48
Well...we call once every 2 weeks or so, but I visit them every week...so we meet more in person than we call :p That's because I hate calling (it's instrusive and counter-intuitive since you see no-one but the contact IS real time)
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still living at home, but I'm moving out in the next two months, so I figured I'd pipe in now and see how things pan out in reality...

I'm thinking I'll end up talking to my mom or dad once a week on the phone, and probably come to visit every other week or so (girlfriend and buddies all still living in my hometown). At least I hope I do. I get a long well with my parents (and sister) and it would be a shame if I let myself lose touch.

actually thats the reason i made this poll too. I was having a discussion with my mom about moving out and she told me that I should call her at least once a day. I said WHAT?!
eek.gif
I have a life to live, how do you expect me to call at least once a day??

Feb 6, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually thats the reason i made this poll too. I was having a discussion with my mom about moving out and she told me that I should call her at least once a day. I said WHAT?!
eek.gif

Without putting too fine an edge on it, and realizing how remarkable this may sound to the majority of you, I would be very happy to be able to speak with my Mom once a day right now.

Feb 6, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif

That was pretty rude of you.. your parents raised you and would like you to keep in touch and you tell your mom you can't afford 5 minutes a day on her?
frown.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without putting too fine an edge on it, and realizing how remarkable this may sound to the majority of you, I would be very happy to be able to speak with my Mom once a day right now.

My sentiments exactly.

Feb 6, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was pretty rude of you.. your parents raised you and would like you to keep in touch and you tell your mom you can't afford 5 minutes a day on her?
frown.gif

Perhaps he meant but did not say that there wasn't 5 minutes worth of things to talk about per day.

Feb 6, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #39 of 48
i get along with my mom really well but we tend to forget about each other... i'm a senior in college and we talk once a month or so.

strange thing is, i never got along with my father but he's the one that keeps calling me. i talk to my dad about once a week.

Feb 6, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #40 of 48
I usually talk to my parents over the phone two or so times a week and visit every week to week-and-a-half. It's good to see them even if I get free laundry machines and dinner out of the deal.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 6, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #41 of 48
well, i'm home nearly every weekend to see my fiance (she lives at home as well her parents live 2 min from the school she teaches at), so naturally i get to see my parents and help them out with anything they need around the house, as they aren't very mechanically inclined and rather uninformed as far as technology goes (mom doesn't have the first clue as to how to use a computer)

but i still talk to them anywhere from 1-3 times per week, usually a quick call, 5-15 minutes just to make sure everythings going well and to see what my plans are for when i'm home or to ask my help fixing something

but i agree with some of you on talking to your folks everyday, they raised me, and anytime i need help they do whatever they can, so naturally i return the favor, not that they couldn't afford to have a plumber come in to fix the toilet or whatever, it just bugs me that it would cost them $100 or so when i can fix it in an hour with 10 bucks in new parts, they forked out enough cash to put me through school, its the least i can do to save them a little here and there

Feb 6, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #43 of 48
About once a week for me...I get annoyed when my dad calls and then the next day my mom calls and I have to repeat everything...why they don't just tell each other is beyond me
wink.gif
. Also, not much happens in my life to talk to them that often...I work, I go to school, I listen to music and I watch TV...that's about it

Feb 8, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #45 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i understand completely, but our situations are a little different. I'm 20 years old and will have a lot on my plate when I move out. Much different then say married with no kids and financially secure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

not really the intention behind it. more of what on earth will we talk about for 5 minutes a day, considering when I move out my days will consist of work, coming home and cooking myself dinner, and relaxing in front of the tv until its time for bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back