For those of you are planning on buying a laptop now or in the near future.
Sep 30, 2009 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

oakleyguy89

100+ Head-Fier
If I was you I would stay as far away from the dell studio 1536 laptops. I was on my girlfriends studio today and it was the worst laptop I have dealt with. No wonder my uncle traded his studio 1536. It started when I was downloading some stuff, it blue screen of deathed on me and did the file dump. Then after that it overheated on me. It overheats with about an hour of use constantly! It gets so hot that it burns my lap and the mousepad can get pretty warm as well. Then I decided to download cpuids hardware monitor so I can see how warm the cpu,gpu is and see what rpms the cooling fan runs on. Well, since the studio is running 64-bit I went to download the hwmonitor and then all of the sudden the screen goes hardcore pixelated and discolored. So I restart it in normal mode, then it starts running files and goes into safe mode... What?!?
angry_face.gif
So I shut it down and tried downloading hwmonitor, then it does the same crap again. Except for the safe mode booting. So I turn it back on and continue with what I was doing, 20mins later it shuts down. I turn it back on and then it does that annoying high pitched beep and says it overheated. So I let it sit for a couple hours to let it cool off. Then I turn it back on and about an hour later the thing shuts down again. The problems my uncles had was that he got a printer for it that was vista compatible. He installed the cds for it and the latest driver and the studio wouldnt recognize the printer. Long story short, he tried about 10 vista compatible printers with no success and spent countless hours on the phone with dell about the problem. His studio constantly froze up with the pixelated screen, and constantly got blue screen of death with installing cds, etc... After messing with the studio, I'm very glad of my decision with my acer aspire one
smily_headphones1.gif
Best $400 ive spent! The only problems I have with it is once every couple of months when I watch youtube using firefox it will freeze and go bsod, but its not that big of deal. Ive had it for about a year and it does everything I want/need it to do from playing videogames, browse the web, listen to music, etc... Kudos to acer for making the aspire one
beerchug.gif
Sorry for the rant guys, im not trying to flame dell. They make quality computers, its just that the studio isnt my cup 'o tea.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 24
Check out newegg.com they have alot of laptops to choose from that have better specs than the dell adamo. The adamos specs seem to be lacking abit. The cpu is only 1.2ghz dual core, integrated x4500 gpu, 2 gigs of ram, and a 128gig SSD. With the money you could get a much better laptop, and still save several hundreds of $$.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was considering the Dell Adamo...

The Adamo is a joke, nothing more than a fashion accessory. Save your money and buy a real laptop.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 24
Wow, sucks that you had that kind of experience with the Studio. I ordered a Studio 1537, Vostro 1520, Inspiron 15, and XPS M1530 for my family. My personal laptop is the M1530, which I've owned for 2 years without any issues except I had the motherboard replaced because the NVIDIA GPU was beginning to worry me. The other 3 are my sister's, mother's and aunt's and they are all in their 1st year of ownership without any major issues or BSODs yet.

Although, I personally reinstalled the OS on all of the laptops immediately after unboxing them.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #10 of 24
I love the mac laptops. the 13 inch macbook pro is pretty much the perfect form factor for me. I do all my intensive computing on my quadcored windows 7 box.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by r1n7r4h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, sucks that you had that kind of experience with the Studio. I ordered a Studio 1537, Vostro 1520, Inspiron 15, and XPS M1530 for my family. My personal laptop is the M1530, which I've owned for 2 years without any issues except I had the motherboard replaced because the NVIDIA GPU was beginning to worry me. The other 3 are my sister's, mother's and aunt's and they are all in their 1st year of ownership without any major issues or BSODs yet.

Although, I personally reinstalled the OS on all of the laptops immediately after unboxing them.

Did you reinstall with vista or xp? I dunno why the ones were having issues, but I did google studio overheating, and there are several results that pop up that they overheat.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #12 of 24
I reinstalled with Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I always have my sister elevate the laptop with whatever is around so that the fan isn't being blocked and she hasn't been complaining of overheating.

Also, check for any BIOS updates and if you have the Intel 4500HD GPU, use the online driver update tool on the Intel site to see if your drivers are up to date.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

I reinstalled with Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I always have my sister elevate the laptop with whatever is around so that the fan isn't being blocked and she hasn't been complaining of overheating.

Also, check for any BIOS updates and if you have the Intel 4500HD GPU, use the online driver update tool on the Intel site to see if your drivers are up to date.

Yeah, to keep my girlfriends studio from overheating I have to have it propped up with my left hand so it doesnt over heat. Which is a pain because it makes my wrist sore and theres a reason why laptops have their name.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #14 of 24
Sadly, Dell uses the same failed design with the intake fan located on the bottom. I believe the Lenovo Thinkpads have their intakes side-mounted so you can actually use your laptop the way it was intended to be used.

Its just one of those things that you have to look out for now, when choosing a laptop.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Sadly, Dell uses the same failed design with the intake fan located on the bottom. I believe the Lenovo Thinkpads have their intakes side-mounted so you can actually use your laptop the way it was intended to be used.

Its just one of those things that you have to look out for now, when choosing a laptop.

yea, my aspire one has it in front. it has a sort of tapered front so the fan isnt blocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back