For those of you are planning on buying a laptop now or in the near future.
Sep 30, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the mac laptops. the 13 inch macbook pro is pretty much the perfect form factor for me. I do all my intensive computing on my quadcored windows 7 box.

Macs are okay, but they need to lower their prices a considerable ammount before I think about ever buying one.

Sep 30, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by r1n7r4h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly, Dell uses the same failed design with the intake fan located on the bottom. I believe the Lenovo Thinkpads have their intakes side-mounted so you can actually use your laptop the way it was intended to be used.

Its just one of those things that you have to look out for now, when choosing a laptop.

Yep, my T400 has the in and out vents on the sides so it's no problem to keep the bottom flush with a flat surface.. The HP that the Lenovo is replacing had the intake vent on the bottom so I always had to make sure I didn't block it or it would get even hotter than it usually is, if that's possible.

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #19 of 24
My Lenovo W500 never gets anywhere near overheating... in fact, I have the CPU undervolted so the majority of the time the fan isn't even on at all. The vents are on the side and back so I can use the laptop on my lap or vertically with no problem.

My old HP Omnibook would overheat within 5 minutes of playing Morrowind on a flat table. It never shut off but the frame rate would drop to a slideshow.

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about Toshiba ?

my satellite had a lot of pre-installed, unnecessary programs. if you delete them, they're pretty solid machines.

however, mine had an early death because of an accident.

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #22 of 24
For advice, head to notebookreview.com

Heck, you might even run into me there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #23 of 24
Never had an overheating problem with my Studio 15, and I use it more than I sleep. In fact, my sister and my mother both have Dells as well with no problems. Not that I swear by Dells, as I've had a Gateway, Asus, Toshiba as well, but the rig I got was pretty sweet, and the only problem are the crap speakers, which Dell's are known for. But then again, we are at head-fi, so I don't think anyone here uses their internal speakers for quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back