For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Mar 18, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #18,706 of 21,019
IMG_4925.jpeg
Aw, so this is what you look like, eh ?

The reality is so much worse...🤪

Back to listening on IEMs so I decided to give one of my mid-fi favorites some love. I've got the Dunu EST 112s running off the Schiit Magnius/SMSL SU-8 stack with a Wiim Mini streaming. Call me crazy, but the EST 112s have a very pleasing tuning for me and that big 13.5mm DD holding down the low end really makes for great punchy and almost tactile bass presentation.

On deck in the queue is the latest release from North Sea Echoes entitled Really Good Terrible Things. This album just came out a few weeks ago and for those unfamiliar NSE is a side project by Ray Alder and Jim Matheos from Fates Warning. It sounds nothing like Fates, but if you're familiar with their work you can expect the same high level of musicianship and execution on any of the material Alder and Matheos have produced with NSE. I've heard people label this as prog, but to me it's more like some shade of alternative with occasional prog edges. I only managed to listen to about half the album before I was interrupted last time around, but I just couldn't wait any longer to give it another go. 🤘😎

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #18,707 of 21,019
1001 Albums
Tears For Fears - Songs From The Chair
Szalayi / RU7 / iPhone PM 15 / Qobuz
IMG_6935.jpeg

What a friggin album, I love Tears for Fears so much. Have no problem relistening to this one. Early night since PT whooped me.

Edit - hot dang never listened to Tears for Fears on the Szalayi… what a perfect combo this sounds immaculate.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #18,708 of 21,019
1001 Albums
Tears For Fears - Songs From The Chair
Szalayi / RU7 / iPhone PM 15 / Qobuz
IMG_6935.jpeg

What a friggin album, I love Tears for Fears so much. Have no problem relistening to this one. Early night since PT whooped me.

Every time you say PT I flashback to boot camp and think there's no way I felt up to a listening sesh after our DIs put us through the wringer. All I felt like doing and all I really had the time to do was shower, eat, hydrate, and sleep. Then I remember that PT most often means physical therapy in the civilian world and it makes more sense. 😂

Funny how life's experiences shape out perceptions even years and years later. Physical therapy after my surgeries post-Afghanistan certainly did make me awfully sore and could tucker me out for sure. Nothin' kickin' back with a good pair of headphones/IEMs/buds can't fix, as I'm sure you can attest. Tears for Fears would be good music for that situation, too. Happy listening! 👍😎

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #18,709 of 21,019
Every time you say PT I flashback to boot camp and think there's no way I felt up to a listening sesh after our DIs put us through the wringer. All I felt like doing and all I really had the time to do was shower, eat, hydrate, and sleep. Then I remember that PT most often means physical therapy in the civilian world and it makes more sense. 😂

Funny how life's experiences shape out perceptions even years and years later. Physical therapy after my surgeries post-Afghanistan certainly did make me awfully sore and could tucker me out for sure. Nothin' kickin' back with a good pair of headphones/IEMs/buds can't fix, as I'm sure you can attest. Tears for Fears would be good music for that situation, too. Happy listening! 👍😎
oh lord haha i can imagine how that is a not great flashback.

i was so excited to do some hobbies tonight, maybe some lego or play some games but now i am just.... laying down absorbing this album. was bummed but, turns out its not so bad. small wins.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #18,710 of 21,019
oh lord haha i can imagine how that is a not great flashback.

i was so excited to do some hobbies tonight, maybe some lego or play some games but now i am just.... laying down absorbing this album. was bummed but, turns out its not so bad. small wins.

Small wins indeed. One thing life has taught me is always take a win when you can get one, regardless of the size. I hope you get to feeling better soon, bro! 🤞✊

I switched to the Subtonic Storms for this next album as they're the single best IEM I have ever heard for quality live albums. Still running off the Schiit Magnius/SMSL SU-8/Wiim Mini.

So while I was on Sonar's Bandcamp page I noticed that there was a live album entitled Live at Moods (released 2018) that somehow I had never overlooked and never heard before. Clearly, this was an album I needed to hear so I immediately purchased and DLed it. Time to see what Sonar's got live. So stoked! 🤘😎

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #18,711 of 21,019
Small wins indeed. One thing life has taught me is always take a win when you can get one, regardless of the size. I hope you get to feeling better soon, bro! 🤞✊

I switched to the Subtonic Storms for this next album as they're the single best IEM I have ever heard for quality live albums. Still running off the Schiit Magnius/SMSL SU-8/Wiim Mini.

So while I was on Sonar's Bandcamp page I noticed that there was a live album entitled Live at Moods (released 2018) that somehow I had never overlooked and never heard before. Clearly, this was an album I needed to hear so I immediately purchased and DLed it. Time to see what Sonar's got live. So stoked! 🤘😎

Morning has pleasurably gone riding the bass waves of Sonar stuff. That live album is also fab. Thanks

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #18,712 of 21,019
Tidal >> SMSL SU9 >> SMSL SH9 >> Sennheiser HD800S :musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note:

roadicallhome.jpg

Road I Call Home (2019) by Elles Bailey - A change of pace and genre tonight and this time it's Americana, which is funny because Elles Bailey is from Bristol, England. It's nice to see her song writing improving album by album and this one's a good un but her latest, Shining In The Half Light is an absolute banger. I picked her music because I love her slightly smokey voice, a by product of pneumonia as a child, and wanted to see how well the HD800S does with more laid back female vocals, with it's little sister/brother the HD650 a hard act to beat. And they passed with flying colours, not quite as lush as the HD650 but not far behind. :darthsmile:

Mar 19, 2024 at 2:13 AM Post #18,714 of 21,019
Morning has pleasurably gone riding the bass waves of Sonar stuff. That live album is also fab. Thanks

Hell yeah! I find Sonar's music to be so relaxing. It's like I can just sink into the groove and disappear. And Live at Moods just went on my "Sick Live Albums" playlist. 🤘

I was looking for something a little more energetic and aggressive so I switched over to my Noble Viking Ragnars as they can be pretty special with the prog-metal side of things and that's where my sesh was heading next. Still running off the Magnius/SU-8/Wiim Mini.

I came across Rabea Massaad's latest installment in the Grinding Gears album series from January of this year, Grinding Gears Vol. 4 (I swear the multi volume format is a coincidence 🤷‍♂️). After really diggin' Vol. 3, which came out way back in 2020 IIRC, I have been anxiously awaiting this one and then got so wrapped up in being busy that I totally spaced on its release. Better late than never, right? Knowing Rabea's previous work I can't imagine that this is gonna be anything less than killer and I'm in the mood to be hyped!

To those about to rock, I salute you! 🤘😎

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #18,715 of 21,019
Mar 19, 2024 at 4:37 AM Post #18,716 of 21,019
Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #18,717 of 21,019
Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #18,718 of 21,019
Listening through my latest purchase, a bit of a impulse buy to be honest. Have been looking at the Samsung Galaxy Pro 2 buds, but this one was so much cheaper I gave it a go.
It's okay for listening casually while doing physical work or in the gym. The tuning is decent, but has hoped for better , as Moondrop did so well with the ultra cheap Chu, IMO. Not really the case here, especially the upper frequencies sounds off. That combined with quite a bit of amplifier noise and horrendous amount of wind noise when used outside, take a lot away from the experience.
They do fit my ears very good, and stays in there, even when working out. And the price is great to, I guess.
So I guess they are a decent purchase, if you have the right expectations.

Listening to Robin Trower's Coming closer to the day album at the moment.
Moondrop Space Travel TWS.
1000005523.png

1000005513.jpg

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #18,720 of 21,019
Listening through my latest purchase, a bit of a impulse buy to be honest. Have been looking at the Samsung Galaxy Pro 2 buds, but this one was so much cheaper I gave it a go.
It's okay for listening casually while doing physical work or in the gym. The tuning is decent, but has hoped for better , as Moondrop did so well with the ultra cheap Chu, IMO. Not really the case here, especially the upper frequencies sounds off. That combined with quite a bit of amplifier noise and horrendous amount of wind noise when used outside, take a lot away from the experience.
They do fit my ears very good, and stays in there, even when working out. And the price is great to, I guess.
So I guess they are a decent purchase, if you have the right expectations.

Listening to Robin Trower's Coming closer to the day album at the moment.
Moondrop Space Travel TWS.
1000005523.png
1000005513.jpg
@Lindholdt the album cover art reminds me of brilliant experimental metal band from 90's: Kobong

kobong-reedycja-b-iext140171331.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back