For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Mar 17, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #18,646 of 20,255
1710688293507.jpeg

Tramonto

Edition XS/balanced 2.5mm cable<--FiiO BTR5 V1/LDAC<--LG V60/Neutron Player local FLAC

Unexpected synergy between the BTR5 out of its balanced connector and the EDXS, no apparent lack of power.

Such a great trio, all leaders in their own right. John Taylor, we lost you too soon.

There's something special about these ECM recordings out of Oslo, engineered by Jan Erik Kongshaug, a sense of space that I can identify almost every time.
What do I search for.. What's the album name?

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #18,647 of 20,255
Wow. Can't believe Last.fm still exists. I used to use it way back in its early days, but it was too much work (back then). Like someone else said, Roon tracks all that stuff passively. The bonus is that Roon's got the best recommendation algorithm in the business.

But, yeah, you can't quit it now. Its personal data collection goes too deep!

I wish I could do the Room thing, but I found it too inconvenient when I'm on the road as much as I am. I thought I would miss it more than I do because I really enjoyed it when I had it. I think Room is absolutely killer and probably the best there is for most situations.

To @theintention : I have over a decade of data on there and I find it interesting to see how my listening is evolving over that kind of time frame. It's pretty cool even if that was the only reason.

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #18,649 of 20,255
I dig closed back headphones like the Focal Elegia for their intimacy. They sound great with solo instruments, acoustic and chamber groups, and with, for lack of a better term, reverberant recordings. Basically, anything where you don't need or want the sense of an open performance space. I recently went to a Sleater-Kinney show at a local venue. The venue is basically an unadorned box, so it sounds awful. The venue usually hosts punk and metal shows, so most performers really lean into the terrible acoustics to produce waves of noise. Long story short, being in that space gave me a greater appreciation for what closed backs (should) do: sound small and close without sounding boomy or spiky.

Focal Elegia < Mojo 2 < iPhone (Roon ARC)

Souvlaki_%28album%29_cover.jpg

Souvlaki (1993), Slowdive

I just watched a YouTube documentary about how terribly Slowdive had been treated by the UK music press. Being a US-ican, I had no idea. For me, they were just the more hypnogogic, soporific counterpart to My Bloody Valentine. Wild to remember how much influence just a few small print outlets had on the entire underground/indie music scene back in the '90s. Anyhow, the joke's on those journalists since this album has since become a beloved classic of the 90s, Slowdive is in the midst of a resurgence in fans and output, and those print outlets have long since folded. This album also sounds fantastic with the Elegia.

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #18,650 of 20,255
Packing up so we can hop back on the bus and keep on truckin'. I've got the Yanyin Mahinas running off my iBasso DX220 as the two pair very nicely together.

On deck in my packing queue is more Frankie and the Witch Fingers with 2020's Monsters Eating People Eating Monsters. I've always been a fan of the indie rock subgenres that take their main influences from classic rock and blues sounds and this band does that very well. The ways they incorporate that psychedelic edge into their sound makes for an engaging listen, IMO. A lot of bands try similar sounds, but because of the lengthy historical pedigree it's very hard to get right and most fail miserably, losing credibility along the way. That's not the case here. This album doesn't have the production quality and polished songwriting/performance that they're newest album has, but it's a cool listen nonetheless. 🤘😎

Mar 17, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #18,651 of 20,255
Now that I'm back on the bus, I went ahead and switched over to the Empire Ears Odins and my Cayin N8ii. Surprisingly, the Odins take very well to the tube mode on the N8ii. You get a modest infusion of musicality without losing the punch and detail that I enjoy from the Odins. It also takes the slight edge off the upper mid/lower treble section that can sometimes show up on them.

After following the conversation on Rick Miller's new album on the prog rock thread, I figured I would go back and check out some of his previous work that I already own before I try his new album just to get reacquainted. Thus, on top of my queue first is Miller's last release, Old Souls. I haven't listened to this one in a while, but I enjoyed it's low key and pensive prog sound enough to buy it. I remember thinking it made for an engaging, but also relaxing listen which sounds like it would very much fit the bill for my tired self right now. 👍😎

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #18,652 of 20,255
Now that I'm back on the bus*** I went ahead and switched over to the Empire Ears Odins and my Cayin N8ii. Surprisingly, the Odins take very well to the tube mode on the N8ii. You get a modest infusion of musicality without losing the punch and detail that I enjoy from the Odins. It also takes the slight edge off the upper mid/lower treble section that can sometimes show up on them.

After following the conversation on Rick Miller's new album on the prog rock thread, I figured I would go back and check out some of his previous work that I already own before I try his new album just to get reacquainted. Thus, on top of my queue first is Miller's last release, Old Souls. I haven't listened to this one in a while, but I enjoyed it's low key and pensive prog sound enough to buy it. I remember thinking it made for an engaging, but also relaxing listen which sounds like it would very much fit the bill for my tired self right now. 👍😎

*** you have to be one of the hell-raising BOBs (back-of-bus) ..." 😏 😈 🤜

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #18,653 of 20,255
Mar 17, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #18,654 of 20,255
IMG_3514.jpeg
Some classic 70’s rock.
ZMF Auteur- Liquid Platinum w/Amperex ECC82’s- Happy brain 🧠 ☺️

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #18,655 of 20,255
IMG_3515.jpeg
Love the horn and keyboards giving a rock/ jazz fusion sound of this album. Total ear candy :darthsmile:

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #18,657 of 20,255
Mar 17, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #18,658 of 20,255
1001 Albums
Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome To The Pleasuredome
Szalayi / RU7 / Schiit stack / Qobuz
1710707801205.png

Sza on deck since I am dealing with some back pain... Missing my LCD-2C a bit but PT is kicking my butt. Mix on this album is very quiet, cranked a little bit further than I would normally like and I am really hoping i remember before I change albums lol.

Ripping some CD's too.

To @theintention : I have over a decade of data on there and I find it interesting to see how my listening is evolving over that kind of time frame. It's pretty cool even if that was the only reason.
I regret stopping in 2013, it would have been fascinating to see how my tastes have changed because wow have they.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back