For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Mar 16, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #18,631 of 21,394
Quick semi off-topic question for you guys. How many of you use scrobbling to track what you're listening to, how much you're listening, find new music, etc? I've been using Last.fm and scrobbling on and off for years and I find it interesting/useful so I was just wondering who else here is using it.

If you're on Roon - the Roon "home screen" shows you all your session data in really well designed display / graphs - breaks out by artist / album / genre how your time (sessions) are broken out. I'd imagine the other library management software (JRiver, etc.) do similar things.

Mar 16, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #18,632 of 21,394
HD600 (UK Custom Cans Modified)

R-27313536-1686143227-4062.jpg

HD600.jpg

Mar 17, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #18,633 of 21,394
Tidal >> SMSL SU9 >> Schiit Asgard 3 >> Sennheiser HD800S :L3000:

civilisation.jpg

Civilisation (2018) by Southern Empire - One hour and seven minutes of brilliance from the Aussie proggers, Southern Empire. Danny Lopresto was the lead vocalist on this one and what a fantastic job he did, he's a mean guitar player too, though not in the same league as Cam Blokland. The whole band sings, which makes for some stunning multi-part harmonies. The album kicks off with the poppy Goliath's Moon and then we're into the serious stuff, Cries For The Lonely is an absolute beast of an epic with some stunning vocals and one of the most insane guitar solos I've ever heard. After a mere 19 minutes we get to the third track, The Crossroads which at 29 minutes is an absolute monster, lots of different sections, so it never gets boring, it's pure prog-rock greatness. They finish up with Innocence and Fortune, which at just 10 minutes feels quite brief (not really). My favourite of the four tracks is Cries For The Lonely, it's one of the finest prog-rock songs I've ever heard and the HD800S are making it sound even better - seriously, the Sennys are made for prog-rock. :darthsmile:
ps. I just heard Cam Blokland's guitar solo and I just stopped breathing until it finished.
pps. I just realised, all of the listening I've done since getting the HD800S has been on Tidal, I've not been near my local collection - Never happened when I was using Amazon
ppps. There's a second Cam Blokland solo in Cries For The Lonely and it's almost as good as the first.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #18,634 of 21,394
IMG_7519.jpeg
IMG_7521.jpeg
[Blue Note: recorded December, 1965; released September, 1967.] Great, forward, hard bop with lots of melodious playing!

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #18,635 of 21,394
Saw this band perform on a truck while the singer wore a dress when I was like… 15 at a warped tour in 110 degree heat. Good times. Closure in Moscow rules, First Temple is an essential record for me. New one didn’t grab me as much but I liked it more than their last.

Totally agree with your assessment. Soft Hell can't touch First Temple. That said, I thought it was pretty enjoyable and I was glad to hear them take a step in the right direction after Pink Lemonade.

To keep things topical:

Doing some post show listening to wind down. Running the Hifiman Susvaras from the SMSL VMV P2 with the Gustard R26 pulling DAC and streamer duties. The P2 does a much better job with the Susvaras (and the Stealth and Expanse) than the GS-X Mini and I've been quite happy with my decision to bring it with me on the road. My improvised foam flight case worked very nicely for it if I do say so myself.

On deck in the queue is a little bit of LA flavor from Frankie and the Witch Fingers entitled Data Doom (released 2023). This band is local to me and I've actually seen them play a couple times. I'm a fan of their take on the rock throwback sound that's been growing more popular in the local area over the last decade or so. They're just a fun band to listen to with great chemistry and a great vibe. Definitely worth a listen for anyone who enjoys modern takes on straightforward classic rock sound.

To those about to rock, I salute you! 🤘😎

Mar 17, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #18,636 of 21,394
What is "scrobbling"? Is it the algo that streamers use to suggest based on what you listen?

I do use Apple music suggestions occasionally... But I get the feeling the way you use the term it might mean something else, a lot more detailed stuff.

Scrobbling is a service that tracks what you play to a site like Last.fm nland uses that so you can see what you listen to most, see what others who enjoy similar stuff listen to, and find new music. Basically you create an account and it connects you to music fans around the globe that have similar tastes so you can see what else you might like. It has a social media component that allows you to find other fans with profiles and make connections that way as well.

I've been using it for a long time and it's let me get a much better picture of how my tastes and listening patterns have changed over the long term. I've even been able to correlate those changes in listening patterns to changes in my tastes in gear and my purchases. It's been pretty interesting to follow.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #18,639 of 21,394
Tidal >> Schiit Modi Multibit >> Schiit Vali 2 (mullard 6DJ8) >> Sennheiser HD800S :L3000:

unplugged.jpg

Unplugged (1996) by Alice In Chains - I should be fast asleep in bed but I started listening to this album and just can't seem to stop. The HD800S are doing wonderful things with the audio and I am currently sat about 10ft in front of Layne Staley, it sounds so real it's freaking me out. This is a great capture of a great band and it's sad that Layne is no longer with us because he was on fine form here, not to say Jerry Cantrell's harmonies don't add a lot to the sound, they most certainly do. I keep looping Down In A Hole, Angry Chair and Rooster, three of my favourite AIC songs and they've never sounded better. :darthsmile:

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #18,640 of 21,394
634ears Miroak-II HIBY R8 II
Sunday morning trying recently released stuff and recommendations, first out was this small gem. Embers, a fusion of electronica and hip hop and more.

Then something very different im halfway on now, ambient dark music. Quite a journey this one for people who like ambient atmospheric music.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #18,643 of 21,394
Quick semi off-topic question for you guys. How many of you use scrobbling to track what you're listening to, how much you're listening, find new music, etc? I've been using Last.fm and scrobbling on and off for years and I find it interesting/useful so I was just wondering who else here is using it.
Wow. Can't believe Last.fm still exists. I used to use it way back in its early days, but it was too much work (back then). Like someone else said, Roon tracks all that stuff passively. The bonus is that Roon's got the best recommendation algorithm in the business.

But, yeah, you can't quit it now. Its personal data collection goes too deep!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #18,644 of 21,394
i turned it back on late last year just to be able to look back and have a record of what i listened to across various apps.

Mar 17, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #18,645 of 21,394
1710688293507.jpeg

Tramonto

Edition XS/balanced 2.5mm cable<--FiiO BTR5 V1/LDAC<--LG V60/Neutron Player local FLAC

Unexpected synergy between the BTR5 out of its balanced connector and the EDXS, no apparent lack of power.

Such a great trio, all leaders in their own right. John Taylor, we lost you too soon.

There's something special about these ECM recordings out of Oslo, engineered by Jan Erik Kongshaug, a sense of space that I can identify almost every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back