For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Mar 7, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #18,301 of 20,951
This morning I've got the Audeze MM-500s running off my Ferrum Oor/Hypsos stack with the Holo Audio May KTE decoding the ones and zeros from my laptop.

I have a new album to listen to for today as part of that 1001 albums list, but I wanted to relisten to the album from yesterday to complete my listening notes before I decide on a rating: Foo Fighters 1995 self-titled debut. This is an absolute classic and was one of those albums that came out and really cemented alternative as the dominant genre in rock at the time, signalling the end of grunge at the top. Dave Grohl really put together one of those albums that plays a role in defining an era when he released this. I loved it then and I love it now. Catchy, straightforward, and fun! 🤘😎

Foo-Fighters-Album.jpg
@JAnonymous5150 IMHO one of the best Foo Fighters albums ever. Haven't listened to it with MM-500 but it could be great match. Will try out later today. Thanks for bringing this album back to my attention. Dave Grohl is one of the best grunge and post-grunge multi instrumentalist. His speed and power on Nevermind album by Nirvana is amazing and almost impossible to replay. Foo Fighters are quite different from Nirvana while still great.

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #18,302 of 20,951
All of those @JAnonymous5150 post made me to switch to Nevermind by Nirvana

Rockna WLS > Lumin U1 Mini > M-Scaler > TT2 > Envy > T+A Solitaire P-SE

Need I say more?

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 11.59.15.png

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 6:11 AM Post #18,303 of 20,951
I suppose I could have. I didn't want the hassle I guess.
One of the reasons I don't sell-resell.

In other words...it's easier to become a collector of very nice stuff...like Hi-Fi,
and you never know when you'll have the desire to listen with headphones, again, that "collect dust" most of the time :)

Cheers!

P.S. I wish you posted links instead of just covers...it would also be hassle-free for me to peek at everything you post :)

Mar 7, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #18,304 of 20,951
Quick comparison between MM-500 and T+A Solitaire P-Se: MM-500 on this particular album sound more joyful and fun, but you know it is not the real sound, it is not about fidelity but about joy (nothing wrong with that btw). Solitaire sounds more laid back at some moments but and less fun but there is nothing missing and you can enjoy the transparency of sound. The comfort is also plus in case of Solitaire. IMHO for short listening sessions (especially for grunge and similar genres) MM-500 is great (also I do prefer it when matched with solid state amp than with Envy) but if I would have to select the winner and keeper is definitively T+A product.

Rockna WLS > Lumin U1 Mini > M-Scaler > TT2 > Envy > T+A Solitaire P-SE / Audeze MM-500

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 12.14.22.png

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #18,307 of 20,951
A little great music with a good cup of coffee makes this a great morning for sure! (GS3000x)

1709821224681.png

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #18,310 of 20,951
Dave/M Scaler > Holo Bliss > HE1000-SE

Roon hands out presents on a daily basis, the “daily mixes”. Currently listening to one of them:

1709826244951.png

Mar 7, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #18,313 of 20,951
@JAnonymous5150 IMHO one of the best Foo Fighters albums ever. Haven't listened to it with MM-500 but it could be great match. Will try out later today. Thanks for bringing this album back to my attention. Dave Grohl is one of the best grunge and post-grunge multi instrumentalist. His speed and power on Nevermind album by Nirvana is amazing and almost impossible to replay. Foo Fighters are quite different from Nirvana while still great.

I was stoked to spend some time with the album for the first time in a few years as well. I don't think anyone knew what to expect when Grohl said he had a new project that was gonna release an LP. I think most just assumed he'd be trying to carry on as some kind of shadow of Nirvana. I believe it was Stone Gossard and Mike McCready of Pearl Jam who mentioned in an interview before the Foo Fighters album came out that they had heard some of Dave's new tracks and that the album was going to take rock in the 90s in a new direction and was the furthest thing from an attempt to carry on the Nirvana sound. Boy were they right! That interview was the first thing that got me excited to hear what he had come up with and the rest is history. 👍😎

This morning I'm hangin' out at LAX waiting for a bassist and sound engineer I'm doing a side project with and, of course, their plane is late so I'm killin' time with a music sesh. I've got the Empire Ears Odins running off my A&K Kann Alpha. My wife has fallen in love with her new EE Wraiths so my kidnapped Odins suddenly found their way back to their spot in my case. I'm sure they felt the sting of rejection so I've been showing them some love. 😂

On deck in this morning's queue is Isobar's 2023 effort, Isobar III. I listened to and then purchased this album basically right when it dropped and tucked it away into my collection. This morning I was rotating through a few of the SD cards I keep in my car loaded with FLAC files and it caught my eye. It was one of the albums from last year that stood out to me and I'm not sure how or why I didn't revisit it a time or two to solidify my opinion and impressions of it. This seems like a great time to remedy that situation.

For those wondering, this album (Isobar in general really) is all about solid instrumental neo-prog. Nothing too flashy or over the top, but the album as a whole is greater than the sum of its parts, coming off as a coherent work with plenty of musical prowess for active listeners to explore.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back