For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Feb 13, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #17,566 of 21,014
AWKT<BHA100<Variations V6<Amazon HD
Finally paired AWKT and BHA100 and what a pairing. Ron Mile's trumpet sound surreal. Very good mic'ing and captures the venue wonderfully. Abum is pure spatial bliss
ab67616d0000b273414ee3bb664a776969403dcc.jpg

Feb 13, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #17,567 of 21,014
Hd800s<little dot mk4<mojo2<fiio m11

I started listening for Lee Morgan, but stayed for Grachan Moncur III 😀 new name to me, but definitely will be seeking out more.

Evolution_(Grachan_Moncur_III_album).jpg

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #17,569 of 21,014
IMG_3472.jpeg
This album is a great listen every time! Using the Focal Elex with Liquid Platinum amp and the Elex love the tubes.

Feb 14, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #17,570 of 21,014
JRiver MC 32 >> SMSL SU9 >> SMSL SH9 >> Grado RS-1x :musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note:

thewholestory.jpg

The Whole Story (1986) by Kate Bush - I don't normally go for "best of" albums, specially when I have all of her studio albums but this one is just magical from beginning to end. Back in the 70's I wasn't a fan, declaring her a screeching banshee but my tastes have changed considerably over the years and I now consider her one of the greatest songwriters and story tellers of the last fifty years - it just took me a while to see in her what Dave Gilmour did when she was a teenager, pure genius. It's just not possible to pick a favourite from this collection of classics, they are all beyond brilliant (IMO). This was a good test of the RS-1x but they passed with flying colours, no sibilance whatsoever and the highs were just ludicrously detailed but still smooth - the mark of well recorded music. :darthsmile:

Feb 14, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #17,571 of 21,014
Youtube (I can't help it, I love music videos) > RME ADI-2 DAC FS > Phonitor XE > Danacable Lazuli Reference > Fostex TH900 (currently rotating with Sony MDR-Z1R / Abyss 1266 TC / ZMF Atrium Closed Redwood all with a SubPac S2 for bass focused music).

Gracie Abrams, Aaron Dessner - I know it won’t work (Live in Nashville)

I just can get enough of this song for the last few weeks. The sound quality is actually decent for a small venue live recording. The joy & emotion in her voice, the crowd, and the Dessner guitar just make this really great for me.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #17,572 of 21,014
IMG_3472.jpegThis album is a great listen every time! Using the Focal Elex with Liquid Platinum amp and the Elex love the tubes.
@Cat Whisperer Bob the longer I live with both Focal Stellia and Clear MG I get a feeling that I completly misunderstood those headphones treating them as perfect match for solid state amps while they truly shine with tube amps. Obviously the synergy rule is still applicable, but both are rather easy to drive headphones especially considering Susvara or even T+A Solitaire. IMHO especially Stellia scales fantastically with tube amps. With Envy it beats Niimbus US5 by a large margin.

Your remark makes me wonder if not all Focals truly shine with tubes?

Feb 14, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #17,573 of 21,014
Starting another day out with the Focal Elegia. These have become for me the quintessential late night/early morning headphones. It's not just that closed backs are great for keeping the peace while everyone else in the house is asleep. Rather, the Elegia's sense of intimacy and fullness/richness suits the lonely hours.

Focal Elegia < Singxer SA-1 < Mojo 2 < Roon < PC

ab67616d0000b273a6d4f4f12b625c4ee416877c

This is Terrace Martin's eighth album since July 2023. For those keeping score, that's a new album every month for the past eight months. This one is a bit "lighter" of a release both in length and in the fact that it's all (mostly) instrumental covers. But, man, dude can create pure gold in his sleep now. Except for the "Kill Bill" cover. Eesh. Borders on elevator music. But every other track is top-shelf Terrace Martin.

Feb 14, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #17,574 of 21,014
... in my case, Focal Clear OG shines with a variety of h/p/a: Liquid Gold X, Liquid Platinum, Violectric V200 / V281, DNA Sonett 2 ... My all-out favourite with Clear OG is Icon Audio HP8 Signature!

Feb 14, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #17,576 of 21,014
@Cat Whisperer Bob the longer I live with both Focal Stellia and Clear MG I get a feeling that I completly misunderstood those headphones treating them as perfect match for solid state amps while they truly shine with tube amps. Obviously the synergy rule is still applicable, but both are rather easy to drive headphones especially considering Susvara or even T+A Solitaire. IMHO especially Stellia scales fantastically with tube amps. With Envy it beats Niimbus US5 by a large margin.

Hi alekc, the reviewer “Resolve” from Headphones.com was very high on the Elex when testing them on a Cayin tube amp. I had the Liquid Platinum and Topping A70 at the time and they were better sounding on the LP. I think a lot of people with Focals, Sennheisers, etc are gravitating towards tube amps, but planars definitely like the solid state amps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back