For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Jan 15, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #16,981 of 20,337
Here's some food for thought 🤔.
My buttons have 44 mm drivers. Your RS-1X have 50 mm ones. Is there a chance that the pads are partially blocking the 50 mm drivers? See pic of 44 mm driver with grado flats. Also, when I first got the flats, I accidentally put them on backwards 🙃
20240115_072355.jpg
Good question but no, I just tried it and they look the same as your photo with the slits just starting to open up. Besides, that wouldn't explain why Jonathan doesn't hear what I hear when using his RS-1x with F-pads.

Jan 15, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #16,982 of 20,337
Finally got a bit of time to listen to some music again. Man, that whole "work" thing really consumes a lot of one's spare time, doesn't it? 🙄

Enjoying the evening with Nigel Stanford's "Solar Echoes", fantastic electronic/chill album.
Tidal to R7 to Roger to HEKS.
1000005242.png

Jan 15, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #16,983 of 20,337
Interesting @alekc - I was not ware the WL cannot tolerate upsample over AES. I just purchased a Holo Red streamer with the intent of activating HQP NAA via ROON. I'm primarily using I2S right now - so should not really impact.

The Rogue RH-5 has been fantastic - having owned many amplifiers both north and south of the RH-5 price-point - I find this amplifier to be an effortless listen. I've been enjoying extended listening sessions well into the the late night hours - that are absent of any listening fatigue. The RH-5 is well balanced in it's tonal warmth, resolution and soundstage. The information provided is clean and clear - but not overwhelming. I am just starting to roll tubes and thus far the Brimar 13D5 have been most enjoyable. Additionally, it has a well built remote control (metal) - I sit in an arm chair across from my media unit - so not having to stand up to adjust the gain on each track is a huge value-add for my personal setup. The only downside I've found thus-far is the Gain settings (1-3) cannot accept my Grado even on LOW gain - but in all fairness most amplifiers cannot tolerate Grado as the impedance is ~35 and the ampflier (current) simply overpowers them, as is the case with the RH-5. On the flip side, I've never heard the HD800s sound better.
@David222 this is partially limitation of WLS current software mostly than WaveLight itself. On the other hand using I2S makes sense considering supported sample rates and the fact that Rockna provides with WLS more integrated but at the same time more closed system so it makes sense from their business perspective. On the other hand I have been using WLS with different dacs and Lumin streamers and it works perfectly well so far.

In the mean time listening on speakers.

1000012267.jpg

WLS > WL

Jan 15, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #16,984 of 20,337
Lcdx<mojo2<fiio m11

When this first came out, a mate lent it to me and I hated it, even before listening to it. Why? I loved hip hop back then....but these rappers were..... white!!!

40 years later, gotta say I was wrong and this rocks. The bass with the lcd-x is suitably massive 😁
Beastie_Boys_-_Licensed_to_Ill.png

Jan 15, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #16,985 of 20,337

Koreless - Agor

Szalayi > RU7

atmospheric electronica for a cold night

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #16,986 of 20,337
Lcdx<mojo2<fiio m11

When this first came out, a mate lent it to me and I hated it, even before listening to it. Why? I loved hip hop back then....but these rappers were..... white!!!

40 years later, gotta say I was wrong and this rocks. The bass with the lcd-x is suitably massive 😁
Beastie_Boys_-_Licensed_to_Ill.png
Totes. I remember that the thing I thought was so strange about this album was its mix of genres: hip hop, hardcore, and metal. It seems quaint now since those genres have been blended sooo many times, well beyond the point of cliche. If not for the brilliant Paul's Boutique, I'd have pegged these guys as a one-off novelty act.

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #16,988 of 20,337
Good question but no, I just tried it and they look the same as your photo with the slits just starting to open up. Besides, that wouldn't explain why Jonathan doesn't hear what I hear when using his RS-1x with F-pads.***
*** and vice versa. My thought is that ear contours, shape, size matter a lot when it comes to fitting & sonics of F-pad vs L-pad. Clearly, everyone is (a bit) different .... Soooo, despite Mark Antony's exhortation in Julius Caesar, you don't have to lend me your ears ... 🤣.

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #16,990 of 20,337
Sony WH-1000XM3 (eq"d)
20240115_225656.jpg

Alan Walker

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #16,993 of 20,337
Grado PS500e << Grado RA-1 (twin 9V battery powered):
A69A0AEE-7D4F-4D44-9141-0D93C297E5E7.jpeg
61E97672-3804-4AD0-94AD-40A4607E9792.jpeg
[Contemporary: released November, 1956.] An enjoyable, swinging session! Before he was conducting the London Symphony Orchestra and Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, jazz was Andre Previn's (piano) love. [Don't overlook the great 'walking' bass lines by Leroy Vinnegar!]

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #16,995 of 20,337
JRiver Media Center (PC) > Schiit Modi Multibit > Schiit Asgard 3 > Grado RS-1x :L3000:

shootoutthelights.jpg

Shoot Out The Lights (1982) by Richard & Linda Thompson - Marriage on the rocks, kicked off their record label, probably not the best time to be thinking about a new album. Gerry Rafferty disagreed and lost £30k financing the project and was subsequently unable to sell it to any record label. They eventually signed up with a small independent label that would finance a new album as long as it was recorded as quickly as possible (think days). This album is the result and became their best selling and critically acclaimed album and though it didn't save their marriage, it kickstarted Richard Thompson's solo career and the rest as they say, is history. The album sounds pretty glorious through the Schiits and the RS-1x, it also isn't compressed to hell and back so I've turned up the volume to make the most of the dynamics. :darthsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back