For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Jan 15, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #16,966 of 20,258
A fair bit! Very slightly more treble / upward 'tilt' in frequency response. Deep bass, not bloated, not congested! A true delight!
I will be buying the RA-1 amplifier one of these days. 😍 As soon as the right deal pops up.

Jan 15, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #16,967 of 20,258
Pics Cut_2023720182021887.png

RS-1 (buttons) F-cush< Luxman R-113 < Loxjie D30 < Amazon Music HD.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #16,969 of 20,258
Screenshot_20230625_111522_Amazon Music.jpg
It's chilling out time. Something a little bit more soft. 😄
The K340's are still getting the most head-time of all, because their presentation (out of head) is just that special.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #16,970 of 20,258
I will be buying the RA-1 amplifier one of these days. 😍 As soon as the right deal pops up.
... then you can start 'rolling' batteries! 🤪 ... Duracell v Eveready v ...

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #16,973 of 20,258
WA6 on Silver Dragons to Focal Elear
Bradley Cooper, Too Far Gone, A Star is Born Soundtrack

Have you tried the Elex pads on your Elear yet? Tubes and Focals = 😊

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #16,974 of 20,258
Thank you @David222

I think this is one of best amps I had and it is a keeper. For me it was most important add-on both to WaveLigth and TT2, in case of TT2 it even has beaten addition of M-Scaler to the setup. If you consider the price tag, it is one of the best headphone amps available IMHO. You can tell it is something very special from the very beginning, when you are unpacking it from kind of silk paper wrapping wrapped around in origami style. From the very first seconds you know somebody put a lot of love into production process and wanted to make you happy from very beginning, even when you haven't connected the amp yet. And when you connect it, you know you have made the right choice. The sound is beautiful, specially with Meze headphones, but honestly speaking whatever you will throw at it, HEADA will probably handle it at least well if not sublime (ok, I have to admit I prefer Susvara out of Envy). WARNING: while this is a very transparent amp, it has a bit of its own colour and it leaning towards warm side (some could even say it sounds a bit like tube amp while being solid state, in fact I've heard tube amps that sounded like solid state ones) - especially with Rockna WaveLight, so this is not a perfect choice for fans of sterile and/or very bright sounds amps like some THX based ones for example. If you love jazz, classical, instrumental, live recording it perfectly fits the bill. I also listen on it a lot of rock and grunge albums with great success. It is not the most dynamic/fastest amp honestly speaking but when listening to it, you do not have a feeling you are missing something. The volume control is perfect, turning volume pot is a pure pleasure.

Since you also have a WaveLight few notes about synergy of this dac and amp:

- it sounds sublime with any filter setting, including NOS
- it sounds sublime with any of upsampling setting from WLS both via I2S and AES (currently AES does not support upsampling)
- I keep WL in Hybrid Volume mode
- I keep WL at 80 of volume level - there is a consensus between Rockna owners that levels between 80 and 90-something gives the best performance.

How is your Rouge amp doing? I bet it must sound sublime as well :)

Interesting @alekc - I was not ware the WL cannot tolerate upsample over AES. I just purchased a Holo Red streamer with the intent of activating HQP NAA via ROON. I'm primarily using I2S right now - so should not really impact.

The Rogue RH-5 has been fantastic - having owned many amplifiers both north and south of the RH-5 price-point - I find this amplifier to be an effortless listen. I've been enjoying extended listening sessions well into the the late night hours - that are absent of any listening fatigue. The RH-5 is well balanced in it's tonal warmth, resolution and soundstage. The information provided is clean and clear - but not overwhelming. I am just starting to roll tubes and thus far the Brimar 13D5 have been most enjoyable. Additionally, it has a well built remote control (metal) - I sit in an arm chair across from my media unit - so not having to stand up to adjust the gain on each track is a huge value-add for my personal setup. The only downside I've found thus-far is the Gain settings (1-3) cannot accept my Grado even on LOW gain - but in all fairness most amplifiers cannot tolerate Grado as the impedance is ~35 and the ampflier (current) simply overpowers them, as is the case with the RH-5. On the flip side, I've never heard the HD800s sound better.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #16,975 of 20,258
Back to the basics today. HUGE change from the FiiO FT5's! :smile:
IMG_20240115_115252536_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
GH2's.

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #16,976 of 20,258
IMG_6408.jpeg
Narco Debut - Strange and Ever-Changing Depths

Some amazing prog influenced indie/rock.

RU7 / Szalayi

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #16,978 of 20,258
Marcos voice gets me every time, nightwish is nothing without him

also his solo work is outstanding

and it sound simply beautiful on the meze 109 pro

I had I Want My Tears Back cranked through my HD600’s last night. Marcos voice in under rated. I finally got to see Nightwish live a couple years ago and hadn’t heard he left the band before hand. Floor is amazing but Planet Hell did not sound right without him.

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #16,979 of 20,258
After 5 solid months with the HE1000 Stealth, I pulled out the HD800S yesterday and was honestly a little shocked at how wonderful it sounded in comparison . After everything that’s come and gone I think the HD800S is still my overall favorite.

Jan 15, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #16,980 of 20,258
After 5 solid months with the HE1000 Stealth, I pulled out the HD800S yesterday and was honestly a little shocked at how wonderful it sounded in comparison . After everything that’s come and gone I think the HD800S is still my overall favorite.

The HD800s is a stellar headphone if amplified properly and using a well built headphone cable. I find the Norne Drausk to be a great match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back