For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Aug 19, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #13,831 of 21,394
Pics Cut_2023819182523874.png

Focal Elex < Luxman R-113 < Loxjie D30 < Amazon Music HD.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #13,832 of 21,394
Amazon Music HD > SMSL SU9 > Schiit Asgard 3 > Grado RS-1x :musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note:

worldmusicradio.jpg

World Music Radio (2023) by Jon Batiste - Just to prove I don't just listen to 70's music, this one was released on Friday. I stuck with the RS-1x because there is just so much going on and the Grados do a good job of separating it out and making it more accessible. His normal style is R&B with a side of Jazz but this one is a real smorgasbord of styles, it's a concept album with a rather silly story but that story enables him to use pretty much any genre of music he wants - and he does. Musically I'm not convinced yet after just one listen but sonically it is pretty amazing through the Grados, with one caveat - I had to turn the volume down to about half of my normal volume because it's been mastered ridiculously loud. :darthsmile:

Aug 19, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #13,834 of 21,394
Lenovo G50|Spotify<--USB Disruptor|Wyred4Sound Recovery<--S.M.S.L. M400<--Cardas Clear Light XLR<--S.M.S.L. SP400<--DakiOm F273<--Ultrasone Edition Eleven

1692493998682.png
Beautiful headphones 😍

Aug 20, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #13,840 of 21,394
ZMF Verite Closed

I got a CD player today. Usually run Roon/Nucleus.... Been enjoying focused listening time ... I seem to go a bit slower through a (CD) album. Less clicking more listening...

603497984855.jpg
IMG_3358.jpeg
Saw these two at the Hollywood Bowl one night in August 1972... Looking back, I'm so happy to have seen them together...

Leo

Aug 20, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #13,842 of 21,394
@DarknessEclipse please tell us more about your setup, especially what C9 adds to Mojo 2 sound. Are you using M2 DSP too?

Mojo 2 + Poly paired with Cayin C9 is my main listening setup.
I was interested in getting a Hugo 2 but wanted to keep the setup as much 'transportable' as possible, Mojo 2 can be detached making it smaller.
I highly recommend this setup for people like me that have a small house, move around a lot, and still want high quality sound.

I like to rotate my headphones and IEMs to keep things fresh and appreciate more sound signatures. Due to this, no DSP function is used yet.

Mojo 2 alone is detailed and snappy. Its sound brings me the same sensation I had when I tried the Focal Clear for the first time: 'soapy clean'.
Adding the C9 makes the overall sound fuller. Specifically, Mojo 2's controlled and fast bass becomes heftier, gets more texture as well.
It's like cranking up an energy pot, music takes more body and has more punch to it.

Class and tube mode are also one of the key changes. With Focal Clear, I tend to use class A and NuTubes. When they get warm enough, the sound becomes enveloping. It's like a giant hug around my head and ears. You could tell that details are slightly reduced (not a big deal), but sound gets more pleasant and less fatiguing compared to other modes. I feel it removes a bit of hedge from the Clears treble.

I have to remind myself to stop and take a break or I could listen for hours! It's like being in a trance.

Focal Elegia and Meze Rai Penta do not get that mode though. I believe they sound best with class AB and without NuTubes.

This setup makes me curious to try the Clears with a proper Tube amp - but at the moment I am in standby.
I have some life plans and will eventually have a grand setup in the incoming years. My mind is thinking of Focal Utopia and ZMF headphones too but that's another story.

EDIT - I used 3.5mm for a long time and recently swapped to 4.4mm balanced (headphone cable). Difference is very audible, 4.4mm is much better with the C9. Soundstage improves!

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #13,843 of 21,394
Rs2e<little dot mk4<mojo2<fiio m11

If you are feeling a little sax-starved, I have the answer

WSQ_album.jpg

Aug 20, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #13,844 of 21,394
Well, a rainy, muggy day, here in Florida on the Gulf Coast. What to do????

Go to the local craft brewery, drink beer, listen to the "Blues and Brews" Sunday afternoon concert, come home and "imbibe" some more....

Roon/BF264/Espressivio/HD660s2

1692563184379.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back