For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Nov 10, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #8,537 of 20,931
I agree. He's one of those singers that I never cared for.

And those darn kids and their wacky Tick-Tocks and their Walkmans and their hula-hoops!

GO READ A BOOK, YOU HIPPIES!

I'm just glad it turns out that I'm not the only one who doesn't like Springsteen. Normally when I mention that I get treated like a blasphemous heretic.

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #8,538 of 20,931
The Springsteen album @jsk ksj refers to is a covers album off older R&B. From what I've heard of it is pretty interesting and he does surprisingly well with that material.
My response was to the suggestion that Springsteen was good enough to get away with singing the phone book, not a comment on the particular album pictured (which I’ve never heard, and probably never will), or even a judgment on the musical taste of Bruce’s fans. No point in debating the relative merits of any particular artist, no matter how popular. I could, but I won’t because people don’t like it when you suggest their idols may not be all things to all people. But, I can safely and with impunity reject the notion that I (being passively included as part of ‘we’) would listen to Bruce Springsteen singing the phone book. I saw him live at Giants Stadium in 1986, and I doubt I’ve listened to a single Springsteen album since (and, other than the admittedly brilliant Born to Run, which I first bought in ~1975, very little prior). Maybe I’ve tracked through the sparse acoustic albums Nebraska and The Ghost of Tom Joad once or twice each. And in the very early 1980’s, I even worked out a solo guitar arrangement of Thunder Road for a Jersey Girl** I was involved with at the time. So, please know that I speak from experience, not ignorance. ‘The Boss’ is simply not my thing. Nothing more, nothing less. Trust me, I listen to plenty of music that hardly anyone else likes. Doesn’t bother me. Quite to the contrary, in fact, I think it’s a badge of honor. So, no need to be defensive. I truly mean no harm.

Enjoy!

**Written by Tom Waits, not Bruce Springsteen.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #8,539 of 20,931
I'm just glad it turns out that I'm not the only one who doesn't like Springsteen. Normally when I mention that I get treated like a blasphemous heretic.
And how do the people who treat you like a blasphemous heretic feel about the manifestly virtuosic playing of Guthrie Govan?

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #8,540 of 20,931
And how do the people who treat you like a blasphemous heretic feel about the manifestly virtuosic playing of Guthrie Govan?

I'm not sure. I haven't had a Springsteen conversation in a while so I'm not even sure if I'm hanging out around those folks these days. Honestly, I'm not sure they'd be able to handle the greatness. 😉

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #8,541 of 20,931
QUOTE]
Born in The USA is the worst repetitive song ever! How many times does he say it. 🤪 Instant channel change. I do like some of the Born to Run album though.

Edited: Well, Maybe Pink Cadillac or 57 Channels can top it.😉

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #8,542 of 20,931
My response was to the suggestion that Springsteen was good enough to get away with singing the phone book, not a comment on the particular album pictured (which I’ve never heard, and probably never will), or even a judgment on the musical taste of Bruce’s fans. No point in debating the relative merits of any particular artist, no matter how popular. I could, but I won’t because people don’t like it when you call their idols into question. But, I can safely reject the notion that I (being passively included as part of ‘we’) would listen to him singing the phone book. I saw him live at Giants Stadium in 1986, and I doubt I’ve listened to a single Springsteen album since (and, other than the admittedly brilliant Born to Run, which I first bought in ~1975, very few prior). Maybe I’ve tracked through the sparse acoustic albums Nebraska and The Ghost of Tom Joad once or twice each. And in the very early 1980’s. I even worked out a solo guitar arrangement of Thunder Road for a Jersey Girl** I was involved with at the time. So, please know that I speak from experience, not ignorance. ‘The Boss’ is simply not my thing. Nothing more, nothing less. Trust me, I listen to plenty of music that hardly anyone else likes. Doesn’t bother me. Quite the contrary, in fact, I think it’s a badge of honor. So, no need to be defensive. I truly mean no harm.

Enjoy!

**Written by Tom Waits, not Bruce Springsteen.
Are you saying you would gladly listen to The Sgt. Peppers album instead? 🤪

Nov 10, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #8,543 of 20,931
Sorry, My computer got hacked by Jada again.🤭

20221109_211545.jpg

Nov 10, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #8,544 of 20,931
Are you saying you would gladly listen to The Sgt. Peppers album instead? 🤪
Whole different thing. I like Sgt. Pepper and would be a fool not to acknowledge its groundbreaking genius, even if I prefer things like Revolver, Abbey Road and the White Album. Indeed, I’ve performed a JGB-type arrangement of Dear Prudence on stage a few times and the Beatles were the theme of my younger son’s Bar Mitzvah (the 30 year old PhD who does AI research for Meta) and every guest went home with a copy of the then new “1”. BUT, I’ve heard Sgt. Pepper a billion times and I simply don’t want or need to hear it again. I wouldn’t leave the room if it came on, but the chances of me ever intentionally putting it on for a listen are zero. I’m not certain how old you are, but remember I’m about to turn 63 and I got my copy of Sgt. Pepper when I was about 9. I’m done with it. So time to let go of that little grudge, my friend. It’s me, not you, and it is NOT personal.

😇

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #8,545 of 20,931
Whole different thing. I like Sgt. Pepper’s and would be a fool not to acknowledge its groundbreaking genius, even if I prefer things like Revolver, Abbey Road and the White Album. Indeed, the Beatles were the theme of my younger son’s Bar Mitzvah (the 30 year old PhD who does AI research for Meta) and every guest went home with a copy of the then new “1”. BUT, I’ve heard Sgt. Pepper a billion times and I simply don’t want or need to hear it again. I wouldn’t leave the room if it came on, but the chances of me ever intentionally putting it on for a listen are zero. I’m not certain how old you are, but remember I’m about to turn 63 and I got my copy of Sgt. Pepper when I was about 9. I’m done with it. So time to let go of that little grudge, my friend. It’s me, not you, and it is NOT personal.

😇
I have no grudge whatsoever. People don't always agree with each other's
Views but need to learn to be tolerant of each other until it starts to affect one's livelihood. Then it's an issue that needs to be delt with. Remember, People have a right to say whatever is on their mind. If someone doesn't like it, then that's what the scroll button is for. 😁 IMHO, you are a man that says what you feel and I respect the Heck out of you for it. 👍
Edited: I hope I used your proper pronoun. 🤔

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #8,546 of 20,931
Whole different thing. I like Sgt. Pepper and would be a fool not to acknowledge its groundbreaking genius, even if I prefer things like Revolver, Abbey Road and the White Album. Indeed, I’ve performed a JGB-type arrangement of Dear Prudence on stage a few times and the Beatles were the theme of my younger son’s Bar Mitzvah (the 30 year old PhD who does AI research for Meta) and every guest went home with a copy of the then new “1”. BUT, I’ve heard Sgt. Pepper a billion times and I simply don’t want or need to hear it again. I wouldn’t leave the room if it came on, but the chances of me ever intentionally putting it on for a listen are zero. I’m not certain how old you are, but remember I’m about to turn 63 and I got my copy of Sgt. Pepper when I was about 9. I’m done with it. So time to let go of that little grudge, my friend. It’s me, not you, and it is NOT personal.

😇
….🎵 “when I’m 64” 🎼 (soon….😝😲😳)

Nov 10, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #8,547 of 20,931
I have no grudge whatsoever. People don't always agree with each other's
Views but need to learn to be tolerant of each other until it starts to affect one's livelihood. Then it's an issue that needs to be delt with. Remember, People have a right to say whatever is on their mind. If someone doesn't like it, then that's what the scroll button is for. 😁 IMHO, you are a man that says what you feel and I respect the Heck out of you for it. 👍
Edited: I hope I used your proper pronoun. 🤔
Amen, brother, and thank you. I wish I could bookmark this page and refer back to it every time someone gets their panties in a wad because I dared to roll my eyes at a post glorifying an album that I purposefully left home when I started college in 1977. And these days I mostly listen to stuff that is interesting, challenging or new to me. Most of it has no lyrics, no obvious melody, difficult harmonies, and complicated rhythms. I know it’s not for everyone, and I know it’s not ‘popular’, but that is what currently grabs my interest. That doesn’t mean I don’t still put on some Dead or some Phish or some D Biscuits, but those guys all change it up every night and do plenty of improvisation to keep it interesting. And SWMBO, who normally runs the show, is not allowed to put Billy Joel on the stereo, notwithstanding that my older son took a few guitar lessons from his long time guitarist, Tommy Byrnes, who grew up in my neighborhood.

‘Nuff said. I’d better go before I really do get myself kicked off!

YMMV, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #8,548 of 20,931
….🎵 “when I’m 64” 🎼 (soon….😝😲😳)
It was 30 years ago he say. The Beatles played his son's Bar Mitzvah day.😁 though he doesn't really like the song, he was forced to play along.

You can finish the rest.

Nov 10, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #8,549 of 20,931
It was 30 years ago he say. The Beatles played his son's Bar Mitzvah day.😁 though he doesn't really like the song, he was forced to play along.

You can finish the rest.
‘Jada 👑 in the sky with diamonds 💎…’

Nov 10, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #8,550 of 20,931
Amen, brother, and thank you. I wish I could bookmark this page and refer back to it every time someone gets their panties in a wad because I dared to roll my eyes at a post glorifying an album that I purposefully left home when I started college in 1977. And these days I mostly listen to stuff that is interesting, challenging or new to me. Most of it has no lyrics, no obvious melody, difficult harmonies, and complicated rhythms. I know it’s not for everyone, and I know it’s not ‘popular’, but that is what currently grabs my interest. That doesn’t mean I don’t still put on some Dead or some Phish or some D Biscuits, but those guys all change it up every night and do plenty of improvisation to keep it interesting. And SWMBO, who normally runs the show, is not allowed to put Billy Joel on the stereo, notwithstanding that my older son took a few guitar lessons from his long time guitarist, Tommy Byrnes, who grew up in my neighborhood.

‘Nuff said. I’d better go before I really do get myself kicked off!

YMMV, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.
If I ever offend you, just remember it was Jada's fault. 🤪

Users who are viewing this thread

Back