For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Mar 9, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #18,407 of 21,405
Code:
YT Music -> Liquid Platinum DAC -> Liquid Platinum -> HD650
1710020469780.png

Mar 9, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #18,408 of 21,405
Doing some work in the shop installing foam in a road case for the SMSL VMV P2. I broke out the OG Mangird Teas because they needed some love and they are great with jazz. I've got the A&K Kann Alpha to drive them and play DJ.

As for music, I decided to try out a new album I saw on the new releases section on Qobuz: The Sorcerers - I Too Am A Stranger. This is definitely a fun album! Labelled as contemporary jazz, I'm hearing jazz mixed with some funkier influences and a kind of world/tribal feel. I'm diggin' the beats that the drummer is layin' down with ease and, even though jazz flute is amongst my least favorite lead instruments in jazz, it actually works quite well in this instance. I love it when I just luck into great new material to enjoy. 👍😎

a2159922597_65.jpeg

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #18,409 of 21,405
Schiit Folkvangr -> Grado PS1000e

IMG_9338.jpeg

The Grados + Folkvangr really do a great job with female vocals. The downside is the PS1000e has virtually no bass, and G cushions aren’t very comfortable.

I’ve been playing with the idea of ordering some Beautiful Audio pads, they’re just a pricy roll of the dice.

Mar 9, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #18,411 of 21,405
Bob Dylan “When I Paint my Masterpiece” > Stax SR-404

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #18,412 of 21,405
Pics Cut_20243920342121.png

K340 Electrostat-Dynamic-System (Black drivers) bass heavy stock < Schiit LYR 3 (EH 6SN7 tube) < Loxjie D30 < Amazon Music HD.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #18,413 of 21,405
Sony hap-z1es-> BorderPatrol DAC SE-i-> Ferrum Hypsos/Oor -> Abyss Diana phi (SC cable + vegan ported pads).
Sublime...

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #18,414 of 21,405
Im more of an observer of music and sounds then a fan of any genre. Often i listen to new albums just one time although I know they often get better on second listen just not enough time for me if a want to listen to all the new albums i add.

Now playing album and first listen Karol G - Manana Sera Bonito nice catchy Latin pop.

Up next: Rodgers & Hammerstein's Oklahoma -John wilson as i have typed this have started. Sounds like old film score music. Uplifting

Then after: The Black Crowes- The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion(Super Deluxe)

Oh forgot Akg K371- Ferrum Oor + Hypsos - Hugo2 - DMP-A6.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #18,417 of 21,405
Right now, I'm listening with the Subtonic Storms running off my Cayin N8ii. This setup wrings detail out of recordings like it's going out of style and there isn't a genre I've encountered the the Storms don't ace.

At the top of tonights queue is last month's release from Plantoid entitled Terrapath. This is one of those prog albums that has so many stylistic influences that the listener is sometimes unable to conveniently label the genre from track to track. However, unlike many such albums which end up feeling a bit chaotic, Plantoid manage to make this ever-shifting melting pot of influences come together as a pretty cohesive whole. Parts feel almost jazz-esque while others sound like The Mars Volta is making a guest appearance, but the bridges make them flow together. It's definitely an interesting listening experience and, while my first listen left me a bit unsure of what to make of the album, subsequent revisits have me enjoying it more and more. 🤘😎

Mar 10, 2024 at 3:36 AM Post #18,418 of 21,405
I went ahead and switched over to the best single DD IEMs that I've ever had the pleasure of hearing: the Dita Perpetua. The Cayin N8ii is still pulling DJ duty tonight. The Perpetuas are exactly what you want in a single DD, cohesive, timbrally and tonally accurate/correct, and very musical, but where they set themselves above many other very good IEMs (my beloved SoftEars Twilights for example) is with their technical prowess. They seemed like the natural choice for the next few albums in my queue. 👍

So what's next in the queue, you ask? The Yellowjackets' 2022 album, Parallel Motion. First off, Will Kennedy is one of my favorite fusion drummers. Dude knows how to sit back and lay down a groove and you know you're doing something right when Billy Cobham refers to you as perhaps the most underrated drummer around. Secondly, Bob Mintzer is an incredibly talented saxophonist and multi-instrumentalist who I was lucky enough to share a stage with as a young tenor sax player forever ago at the Napa Jazz Festival here in California. Add to that all the other great musicians who have passed through this lineup over the years and you've got great music just waiting to happen. It certainly did for this album! 👍😎🎷

1200x1200bb.jpg

P.S. I don't know why I dig the simple oil painting pictured on this album cover so much. Something about the texture from the brush strokes and the way the two different shade almost seem like waves rolling towards each other is intriguing. 🤔

Mar 10, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #18,419 of 21,405
Amazon Music Unlimited >> SMSL SU9 >> SMSL SH9 >> Grado RS-1x :musical_score::notes::notes::notes::notes::notes:

echoesofalbion.jpg

Echoes of Albion (2024) by Colin Masson - Trying to tie this one down and I think it's Prog Rock with a twist of Folk and a large pinch of Mike Oldfield. Just three tracks but they are all epics between 15 and 25 minutes and Mr. Masson plays everything himself. The album sounds good with this setup, loads of detail and the Grados give a nice bit of crunch to the electric guitars - I've decided that this is a nice place for my ears to be at this time of the morning (7:44) and no bed for me so far. :darthsmile:

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #18,420 of 21,405
Qobuz => Yggy GS2 => V222 => Focal Clear OG (bal)

1710067892668.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back