For Those Interested in Ordering Cyber 20 from Opera
Sep 27, 2001 at 7:25 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by jphone
Do you have any idea on how the headphone circuit is wired?
What kind of impedance it can drive and is it a resistor or tranformer based circuit? I may go for the Cyber 30 if it can
drive both my HD600 and AKG k1000s, probably the 300B version.

Good question. The specs seem only concerned with the speaker circuit in that regard... Email this guy with that question, and forward the answer back to us, if you would. The email address is on their site.

Thanks!

Brian.

Sep 29, 2001 at 5:31 PM Post #32 of 41
I can't wait 'till all who are buying the Cyber 20 actually receive them... especially those of you who have the MG Head already. Please review! (the differences between the two too)

Sep 29, 2001 at 8:07 PM Post #33 of 41
could someone offer some insight regarding the choice between 2a3 and 300b?

also, i take it from the earlier post re: "Cary SEI" that the Cyber 30 w/300B should sound comparable to the Cary 300SEI--is this correct? Is there a consensus that this is so?

Sep 30, 2001 at 10:08 PM Post #34 of 41
I don't think there's any way it will sound like the Cary 300 SEI. To be honest, I think the best we can hope for from the Cyber 30 is going to be merely a glimpse of the SET magic. From what I've read, the optimal 2A3 vs. 300B operating points are quite far apart. So, an amp which easily transitions between each is unlikely to be optimized for either.

There is alot of personal preference involved in choosing between the two. And, to be honest, I don't think it is going to matter a whole lot when you're talking about a $650 (or so) amp. I am still excited about it, though. Because I think it will be a great development platform for something very sweet.

I've heard it said that the 2A3 is an imaging marvel and that it sounds more solid-state-like than the 300B. I've also heard it said that the 2A3 sounds thinner than the 300B. Most people refute that claim, however, dismissing it to the fact that 9 times out of 10 the load presented to it is far too demanding...

Anyhow those are just a few quick thoughts...

Oct 1, 2001 at 1:14 PM Post #36 of 41
templeboy, do you know how the Opera 30 output transformers compare with Cary 300SEI or AES-1 Sig?

Can you, or can anyone, characterize the ECC83 tube (and say, how it compares with the 6SN7 that is used in Cary 300SEI and AES SE-1 Sig)? (I'm assuming the ECC83 is also used in the 300B version of the Opera 30.)

Finally, any idea of what the retail selling price of these units will be in the U.S., or at least where they will positioned relative to other units in the Opera line?

Oct 1, 2001 at 1:19 PM Post #37 of 41
The sound of 300B's and 2A3's will vary with the specific tube used, the amp/circuit it's used in and the system the amp resides in. (I'm assuming we're talking about single-ended circuits, not push-pull, although both tubes have been used both ways.)

That said, the following generalizations are based on my listening experience with the AES SE-1 Sig which can use either, the Cary 300SEI, Cary 2A3 monoblocks and Bottlehead Paramour monoblocks.

Tubes used are:
300Bs - Valve Art
2A3 - generic Sino, Valve Art, Sovtek, RCA biplate and KR

300Bs have a very lush midrange, not terribly extended bass and treble. The midrange is gorgeous, sweet, luscious, romantic - some reviewers have described it as "psychedelic". If you're a sucker for female jazz vocals, this is your ticket to paradise. Bass definition and dynamics are okay, not fabulous.

The 2A3's as a group are more extended and flatter in response from bottom to top. Used with an appropriate speaker, (efficient, flat, relatively high impedance), 2A3 bass is astonishingly deep, articulate and agile. The midrange can be very fine to excellent, treble can be extended and airy to bright, depending on specific amp and tube.

The Cary 2A3 monoblocks, with the KRs, had the greatest power in the bass. A beautiful, very dynamic sound with the right speakers.

The AES SE-1, especially with the headphone option, which mine lacks, is an incredible place for Head-fi/wizers to get started on tube sound. With a choice of speakers or headphones, 300Bs or 2A3's, they offer a wide range of choices and sounds in one piece of gear.

The Bottlehead Paramour offers the best combination of characteristics for my ears. The parafeed transformer topology and 2A3s offer incredibly fast articulate sound top to bottom. The bass is very deep, fast and detailed, beating the AES SE-1 and lacking only the Cary monos' impact. (This with the stock transformers. What do you want from a $550 kit?) The midrange and treble are the best among the amps I've owned. I'm upgrading the "iron" (transformers, chokes) in mine to see how far it can go. Among the tubes I've used with these amps, the Sovteks sound the most powerful, but lack the mdrange and treble refinement of the Valve Art and old RCAs. The RCA's make the midrange spookily real on voices and acoustic instruments. The Valve Art tubes run down the middle in terms of sound, are inexpensive and highly enjoyable. (A pair is included stock in the Paramour kits.(

Oct 1, 2001 at 1:57 PM Post #38 of 41
Yep. This is consistent with other descriptions I've read. In general the 300B sounds more laid back overall, which may or may not be desirable - especially considering your can of choice. I like my laid back Senns, but in combination with laid back tubes in my MG Head DT, things are just too drab. I'd choose the 2A3 the first time around. Also, look at tube prices. 300B tube rolling (with good tubes) is not really affordable. It is, however, with the 2A3....

FWIW

Brian.

Oct 1, 2001 at 3:22 PM Post #39 of 41
The tranny is custom-wound for Opera. That's all I know.

As for the resale value, the good news is that there is actually a very very famous dealer in the US carrying Opera line. Not for 09/11, he should have the first batch already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back