For the skeptics, which tweaks have you found to actually work?
Jun 11, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #91 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow
Interesting to see the list of tweaks that people stop using after some period of use. I think this type of information is far more informative to other readers than double blind testing or a/b ing which are highly overated procedures and probably not appropriate to the psycho-physical type of judgments which are involved in audio. I agree that long-term listening probably is needed, and that it is easier to hear a difference than decide that this constitutes an improvement.

The problem with A/B and Double blind testing to deterine what is real in audio is that it is not easy to perform a psychophysical test which keeps both false negatives and false positives at bay. Imagining that you hear a difference which is not there would be a false positive. Failing to detect a real difference is a false negative. An A/B or double blind comparison which finds a difference beyond statistical certainty is convincing but if it fails to find a difference this does not prove that that there is no difference. In statistical terminolgy, if you find a statistically signficant result you reject the null hypothesis (of no difference). You are almost never able to accept the null hypothesis and few if any statistical tests exist for this purpose.

As a one-time practitioner in this area I should note that negative (i.e. no-difference) experimental results are almost always rejected for publication, in part because aside from statistical issues, any fool can carry out an experiment which doesn't work. You have failed to find a difference, not proven that there is no difference. Failure to find a difference may simply be due to experimental error.

What sort or errors are we talking about? Firstly just confusion about what you are hearing, or listening for, such that your judgmental standard goes astray. In the end you are so confused you don't know what you are listening for.

There may be equipment errors, for example I would not want to asses any interconnect just after being unplugged/replugged since the connection may take some time to settle down or break in. Cardas claims that cables should not be moved and be allowed to rest for several hours to avoid certain charging effects. You could avoid this somewhat by having an A/B switch, such that nothing actually moves but the switch. But can you be certain that adding this extra circuitry or breaking the circuit for comparisons does not affect performance?

The consequence of various manipulations may be simply to increase "noise" of various type in the system such that in the end everything sounds about the same and you swamp the difference with noise.

What about warm-up effects as you continue to use equipment? Most equipment sound better as it warms up, possibly to some optimum then it may even deteriorate, making comparisons over time difficult and aren't almost all comparisons made over time.

There are several other procedures available in psychophysics... testing thresholds by adjustments, assesing "just noticeable differences'' and many variations of these which are used to test for subtleties of perception. Generally such testing involves trained observers since taking the man off the street, or characteristically, the undergraduate psychology student, forced to do experiments as a course requirement just gets you unreliable data.

As far as judging equipment or tweaks, I find that simply listening to material with which you are very familiar is about as good as you need. If I start hearing more detail or other good aspects of the music than I have heard before, then I am on the right track. Also the diffrence should show up over repeated listening. It used to be the custom of small audio shops to allow people to audition components and the like for several days in their own set-ups before buying. Alas such practices are now uncommon although most things bought through the mail are returnable within 30 days or so.

As regards tweaks that I have finally rejected are a number of disk pad attachments, any one want a "Blacklight?" But I still think Herbies Grungebuster is great. I also continue to use CD weights, generally the old Allsop Sorbethane rings which which are almost impossible to find.

Most disk polishes are not worth the effort unless your disks are dirty as generally you end up scratching the disc. However the Aric Illuminator has the best, non- scratching cleaing pads I have encountered and the the polish itself has a small effect. I think the black paint that come with it is about as effective as the polish.

"Tweak" contact enhancer is bad, it works, especially on bass, but later dirties up the contact. Pro-gold seems good and seems to clean the contacts too.

Man, that just gave me a headache.
tongue.gif
Kidding aside, I do agree with you for the most part. As with most gear that I buy, things don't just pop out at me immediately. But over a month or so, I'll start to notice certain things more. And usually, it's only in the absence of an item/component that I'll come to realize what it's effects were.

Mar 23, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #92 of 106
Very comprehensive list there, and for the items that I have tried that come out of your list I would have to agree on everything you have said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
Same here
wink.gif

Here are my findings based on my different personal experiences with my headphone gear & tweaks.

I tried hard but heard no difference
Rainbow Foil
Vibrapods
Brickwall vs Monstercable PC1000
Y-Splitters
Headphone adaptors
Cardas Caps
Isolating analog from digital power sources
CDP Damping
$30 powercords vs $100 powercords

I think I can hear a difference, but im not really sure. I'll most likely fail in a DBT
$25 IC's & DIY IC's vs $80-100 IC's
default powercords vs $30 & $100 powercords
Using Grado extension cable
963SA upsampling effect
Burn-in effect in audio equipment
SACD vs CD
HD600 vs HD650
Ferrites in general
Headphone Replacement Cables using PC (Sound Blaster) as source

Subtle but can be heard difference. Im optimistic to pass in a DBT
Headphone Replacement Cables using 963SA as source
OP-Amp swapping
Routing IC's and power cords separately in general
Emmeline XP-7 vs Headroom MOH
cheapo IC's vs $20 IC's & DYI IC's

Clearly Noticable Difference
Grado Pad Swapping
Amplification
CD Player Mods done to my 963SA
Shielded IC's used near computer equipment
Routing unsheilded IC's and unshielded power cords separately
Meta42 & RA-1 vs Headroom MOH, Emmeline XP-7
Pinkfloyd X-feed

Very obvious, drastic & unmistakable difference
Computer soundcard (Sound blaster) vs cheap Pioneer CDP.
Cheap Pioneer CDP vs Philips 963SA CDP
No amp vs Meta42 & RA-1
Headphones in general
Headroom crossfeed

Edit: added more info, made list more specific.

Mar 23, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #93 of 106
From tinears' experience.
wink.gif

Clearly heard:
- thin 24ga to 14-16ga speaker cables
- phones amp and impedance matcher
- shorter signal path / interconnects
- caps and coils on speakers xo
- pads / inner foam

Mild (no blind test please =):
- stylus brush on shure carts
- electronics caps bypass
- tapes on 501 housing
- hd600 grille on hd580
- opamps upgrade

Thought heard differences:
- different vinyl mats
- steel vs ofc hd25 cables
- clean, solid ac power contacts

No success at all:
- same length interconnects
- exotic speaker cables vs decent 16ga

[size=xx-small]and some others that I've forgotten, will add later =)[/size]

On components:
- speakers / phones
- speakers placements
- stylus > tuners > decks
- pre > power amps > arms
- turntables > cdps

Mar 25, 2005 at 11:12 AM Post #95 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Cleaning one's ears...
very_evil_smiley.gif

How come that didn't work for me ?
biggrin.gif

Oops, just realised this is almost a year old thread.
eek.gif

Mar 26, 2005 at 8:03 AM Post #96 of 106
Things that I've found:

Position of headphones on head. Wearing my cans with the driver lined up low and forward on the ear (small groovelike part right above the lobe is where I put the centre of the driver). Makes them sound best.

Removing bad active components from signal path. I had an entry level DJ mixer in the signal chain to act as a switcher, removing it has made me happy.

Removing the foam covering the drivers in my 580's. It made the tonal balance more pleasant for me.

Mar 26, 2005 at 8:11 AM Post #97 of 106
The best/worst tool I've used is a Headphone Switch Box (Ray Samuel's Style).

It has utterly changed my opinions.

So now I've noticed the largest changes in sound come in this order, from Most noticeable to no difference

Headphones > Source > Power(in regards to Sources) > Amp(depends on the heaphones used) > Cables > Rainbow Foil

-Ed

Mar 26, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #100 of 106
I heard a BIG difference with:
- Solid State amps
- DAC

Little difference with:
- Tube amps
- Cd Player

No difference:
- Interconnects between 50 and 150USD
- Decent speaker cable

Mar 27, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #101 of 106
Stuff that I believe is fundamental:
1. source component -> 2. headphone amplifier -> 3. headphones or earphones
wink.gif
-> 4. power conditioning. Also, MODDING EQUIPMENT ranks high on my list too IF the equipment delivers a lot of audio/video performance for the money ALREADY IN STOCK FORM.

SPECIFIC stuff that I believe has made small and incremental improvements:
1. Cardas interconnects -> 2. Cardas power cords -> 3. RingMat StatMat CDi Blue -> 4. Vibrapods -> 5. Cleaning fluids (Caig De-Oxit, etc.)

Stuff that I believe makes no difference whatsoever:

Shakti stones, cable lifters, cryogenic anything, Bybee filters, wooden knobs, DBS cables, and YOUR GOOD 'OL PROFESSIONAL HI-FI WRITER / MAGAZINE supported HEAVILY by ADVERTISERS

Mar 27, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #102 of 106
Hi,

First of all, thanks for the theme of this thread. I used to be a new gears and reviews addict in my younger years, but took a serious step back when I made experiences that clearly opened my eyes and proved (in my opinion) that most of that industry is fooling us around.
They're just beating around the bush avoiding the real questions and decisions. Keeping things blurred help them to sell all kinds of esoteric stuff and then just look at big kids spending lots of money and endlessly discussing completely subjective and perceptive feelings.
You'll obviously wonder what I mean by "real questions and decisions" .... I'll put it simply by enumerating what I consider to be key points:
  1. correct interconnections between elements just can't be achieved by two points only connectors (all sound professionnals use very efficient multi-point plugs why do we still have to bear RCA)
  1. an international agreement on a standard way of wiring ground and chassis has to be made (it seems many electronic engineers fail to distinguish ground from chassis)
  1. a serious (in terms of current throughput capability) replacement has to be found for ridiculous 0.5mm thick printed circuits on amps PCB.
    It's always been striking to me that no one seems to see the contradiction of buying expensive huge gauge cables to plug on the outside while the gears are so poorly wired inside : even if a printed circuit support 4A or 5A once stabilised in a stationnary mode in a test lab, it WON'T pass these 5A as a short term peak whithout a clearly audible distorsion ... the very kind of distorsion no one knows how to measure
    mad.gif
  1. a serious replacement has to be found as well for this crappy cheap electrician cable usually found inside all gears to interconnect PCBs
  1. and last (but no least): we should bannish stranded cables (whatever the complex heavily computed braiding), unless strands are electrically isolated from each other because no one can clearly predict a stable physical model of propagation in these !!
mad.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif

Ok now, let's get back to the initial point of the post:

No difference heard on:
  1. damping or adding mass or decoupling feet on preamp or cd player
  1. replacing mains cables
  1. replacing RCA plugs on interconnect cables by the latest always acclaimed expensive rubbish ones
  1. increasing speaker cables gauge

Slight difference heard on:
  1. change between different brands of interconnect cables
  1. direct signal path button on my former amp

Clear difference on:
  1. warming gears before listening

Decisive quality increase on:
  1. replacing all the way from cd to the inside of preamp, amp and speakers all signal cables with phone type massive copper strands individually isolated
  1. replacing all interconnect cables with cat 5 home made cables
  1. replacing all RCA plugs by DIN and XLR
  1. separating chassis and ground on all gears
  1. making a tight connection of mains surge filter to ground (earth) and connecting all chassis to earth
  1. adding damping feet under speakers
  1. adjusting tweeter/medium/woofer relative positions (depth alignment) on a home made speaker
  1. way of placing damping foam (and amount of damping foam) inside that same speaker

Ok, that's all for today ... read you soon
smily_headphones1.gif
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2005 at 8:25 AM Post #103 of 106
Nice first post Rico. Welcome.

Mar 31, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #104 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leporello
Certainly one of those occasions when blind tests are not recommended at all.

Regards,

L.

Blind tests in this regard might be as good as a listening test with people who won't listen. Women are always more beautiful in the dark. People can't hear the difference in a lot of these tweaks simply because they can't HEAR the difference. Some people wear glasses to correct the same problems with their eyes, it is a shame we don't have more elegant or socially accepted hearing aids and Q-tips.

Mar 31, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #105 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
I managed to spend an outrageous amount of money (for me anyway, about 1k total) on vibration damping consisting of custom made cherry platforms 3" and 4" thick for all of my components along with tube damping rings from herbie's audio lab and various cones/spikes. The results? I'd like to think it did something positive. But in all honesty, I'd have to say anywhere between a definitive "no" and "maybe imagined". What it does give me is peace of mind (as in I've taking care of every possible angle). And for what it's worth, I think it looks pretty cool with the cherry platforms and tube damping rings
biggrin.gif
Hey, it's a freaken hobby! I don't have to be totally serious about it. You're supposed to be enjoying this.

This is the type of attitude that I like. I personally find that the biggest improvement to my system is a well rolled spliff 10 to 15 minutes before serious listening. I also find that the subsequent relaxation and removal of lifes woes allow me to concentrate ont the subtle, but noticable changes of my other, secondary tweaks which all make a difference. Such as:

-Headphone cable
-NOS tubes(there is no way you can tell me that any current production tube sounds as good s my Valvo CCa's
-my WooAudio3 firstlywhich has something that I know makes a diference, point to point wiring and the love that it ws made with.
-better CD's(I have numerous copies of my favorites and some are just plain better)
-Upgraded guts.(saying that Black gates don't make difference to sound must mean that you are a satisfied Ford Mustang owner with a V6 under the hood! All companies cut corners to get there products to market. Hell, check out what jamato has done to the Woo, and it is much sexier than a Mustang)
-Static Guard That's right, more snake oil. If you live in a dry environment, hit youself with some before listening, smells like crap though
-Power cable Mr. Wu, knowing he builds high end products, doesn't include one with his amps which makes sense to me because those skinny black hunks of garbage are starting to pile up from previous components.
-Conditioned power- the amount of difference will be determined by how crappy your power is. Amps like the SR-71/Berning MicroZotl evade this by being DC/battery sourced
-Closed eyes/blindfold- less distractions = better concentration. Our brains are not the best multi tasking machines. Try adding 546 + 1227 - 67 = ? in your head while spelling your name backwards on paper. If you can do this successfully in a reasonable amount of time, go out and cure cancer
-Are you ready?Bybee filters work, get used to the idea. If we had to understand why everything is the way it is, you would not believe in any religion, right? Oh, and you would be smarter than me. lol
-Wood everywhere. I mean wood chassis CD player, wood furniture, wood under your components, wood in your pants! Everything looks, sounds, feels, smells better with wood. Oh yeah, in some cases sounds considrably better. My wood chassis CD player, made with love, was a drastic improvement in sound. Chasis damping, ground isolation, sex appeal, whatever the reason is it sounds more organic.
-Burn-in. If you don't believe in burn in, buy a new component plug it in and then smell it! Why would Bryston burn in every amp before they ship it? I will tell you why! They sound better, allowing them to sell more of them. If I owned a stereo store I would burn every component in before displaying them. This is the main reason why an Amp at Super Box Store "A" does not sound as good as the same one at the Little Shop on the corner with an insane owner/operator. Now don't take that advice and put your Little Shop owner out of business because he charges more. Try finding your salesman from The Super store a year later if you have a problem(he has probably had three jobs since then)
-All cables. Just remember the law of diminishing returns.
-Disposable income If you don't NEED the money it will mean that you won't put such a price on your tweak resulting in less of a price/performance comparison
-Source[/COLOR] If you can't hear any difference when upgrading your source, this means that the previously mentioned tweaks/upgrades were not done and you got your work cut out before you will stop crying "snake oil!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back