For students: your studying music!
Oct 3, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #16 of 27
Pretty much anything that does not exceptionally draw attention to vocals is fine. This also goes for device selection. I have to use my headphones for reading/studying, as the general dark sound of both of them keeps there from being much distracting in the music.

The actual selection of music depends entirely upon my general mood and state of consciousness.

Oct 3, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #17 of 27
calculus + wish you were here / dark side of the moon
600smile.gif

I love the dreamy quality of those Pink Floyd albums for doing homework. Sadly, I do find music to be distracting in many cases as well. Try listening to rap while reading poetry
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 6:17 AM Post #18 of 27
Studying, wow I haven't done that in a while now.
tongue.gif

I never listened to anything if it was a technical subject, like for my comp sci classes since you have to really pay attention. But if it was something like math, or Western Civilization, or Macroeconomics...you can bet I listened to my favorite ambient electronic selections. Hearts of Space on FM radio was and still is my weekly savior.
tongue.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 7:21 AM Post #20 of 27
If I am translating, then it doesn't really matter. I suppose I indulge my taste for Wagner, either in vocal or orchestral excerpts. I generally don't listen to operas straight through when I study.

I don't really have set rubrics, though.

Oct 4, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #21 of 27
Call me crazy, but I always find myself listening to Meshuggah while studying. It somehow keeps me focused and motivated.

Oct 4, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Usually it's smooth jazz or classical.

I particularly love Bach for the background of studying. With doing actual work, though, I like to use Drum N' Bass -- I can answer/type things in rythm, and it actually helps me concentrate
biggrin.gif

I'm in the same situation. While reading or studying, depending on the intensity, I go with something like John Cage's 4:33 on repeat
wink.gif
to Tetsu Inoue, Windy & Carl, Brian Eno etc...working up to more structured music like smooth jazz or Bach (I too love him while studying), but while I'm programming or working in the lab, then its dnb or electronica of some sort. If I'm doing mindless work, then I can throw on something upbeat with vocals, otherwise I get too distracted.

Oct 5, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
I listen to ambient electronic music. Usually if a song has a vocalist then I get distracted as well.

Ditto. Though I've noticed the more I read the more active music Im able to listen to without being distracted. I've worked my way up to psychill.

Oct 5, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #25 of 27
Reading and music do not work for me at all, but I can do music and math problems without any problem for some reason. Usually it's whatever I put on. It can't be TOO good, otherwise I'll get too much into the music and start going into eargasm mode when I should be doing homework!
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #27 of 27
I listen to instrumental albums (Miles Davis for afternoon studying, Buckethead for late-night/last-minute stuff) or music I'm really familiar with (Metallica's "Master of Puppets" is the greatest all-nighter album of all time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back