for SQ:Ipod Nano 2ndGen or Ipod video 5G?
Jul 22, 2007 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

copain

New Head-Fier
im going to buy a nano, hoping for a good SQ..
but then out of curiosity, i heard my brother's Ipod Video,
and my SonyEricsson m600i actually sounds better than the Ipod Video!

the ipod video sounds kinda harsh, the snare drums(highs?) too sharp..
bass on m600 is more,like, smoother.. (im quite a noob in this, dont know any terminology)
both tested with mylarone XB
but i need a player for jogging, and the SE m600 fastport is dying on me..

then with this as a measuring point:

does the IpodNano (2nd gen) sound any better than the ipod Video (5G) both unamped?

i also tought about samsung yp-k3..

any help would be appreciated!

Jul 22, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 16
The Video Ipod has the capacity to be immoded later. But this will be interested only if you decide to get into the high quality audio hobby ...
icon10.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 16
I actually find them to be VERY close! Almost to close to tell. The video has an edge on the nano

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 16
The shocks of jogging always bodes ill for harddrive-based daps. Suggest you're better off sticking with a flashplayer. There are plenty of 1st gen. Nano available, and there are plenty of non-Apple flashplayers that sound better than 2nd gen. Nano. Personally, I'd choose a 1st gen. Nano for your usage. I also had purchased a MPio FL100 on eBay (@$50) that has been v.good - takes 1gig SD cards.

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #9 of 16
i had tried the nano, its true, very harsh treble and lacks punch and depth in bass.. (i used mylar XB which should be warm+punchy+deep, and with my SE m600 the XB does sound like that)

will using ibasso T1/2 or other amps gives it warmer sound?

which is better:
-ipod nano+LOD+amp,or
-cowon D2 unamped,or
-clix2 unamped
-samsung yp-k3 unamped

need warm and 'fun' sound sig here, dont need to be that analytical

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 16
Don't forget about equalizer settings. Sure sure, you want the best sound quality straight off the bat, but particularly with the iPod nano, some of the preset equalizer settings may suit your music tastes well. This is of course a subjective preference, but I find that the "Jazz" setting improves the bass response, and tones down the bright treble by just a bit.

From what I have heard, the ipod video 5g is a bit "dryer" than the ipod nano 1G. I haven't had the chance to try the 2nd generation nanos, but they should relatively sound the same

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #11 of 16
this isn't any help whatsoever, but my 5.5 gen 80 gb w/super.fi 5 pro sounds pretty freakin sweet! sounds good w/grados et al.

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 16
copain;3138703 said:
i had tried the nano, its true, very harsh treble and lacks punch and depth in bass.. (i used mylar XB which should be warm+punchy+deep, and with my SE m600 the XB does sound like that)

will using ibasso T1/2 or other amps gives it warmer sound?

YES! My 2nd gen nano with LOD to ibasso T-1 is very strong SQ.

Jul 25, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #13 of 16
rbui: i will try out the EQ, tough im not quite confident with EQ in Ipods..
maybe rockbox can do this better?

pangaea: well, that means i'll wait till i get my hands on someone else's T2..
or maybe gamble a bit and order it myself..
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back