For Long Time Owners of ER-6i
Apr 6, 2008 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

KUNFUCHOPSTICKS

100+ Head-Fier
I have had my pair for almost 2 years now and the little plastic flab at the end of the monitor seems to have turned yellow and hard. This causes an super annoy squeak due to it constantly rubbing against the cord. Every step i take i hear squeaking. Anybody else expereince this.

Pic: Note this is just a pic i found, not mine.

p1000023yj9.jpg

Apr 6, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 7
Golly, that's a new one for me. No, haven't had that problem. Are you certain that's actually the source of the issue? Wearing them upside-down - with the wires looped over your ears instead of just dangling down - would presumably fix that.

Also, that piece comes off. pinch between fingernails, stretch down, and pull it over the white part. i'm actually not certain what purpose it's supposed to serve, because it's thoroughly ineffectual at cable strain relief.

It does not hold anything together - the heatshrink and dots of glue do that.

It looks suspiciously like the rubber bands used to keep orthodontic braces in place, fwiw. i've even seen some in the dental section of a drug store with a little tab on 'em.

Apr 6, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm actually not certain what purpose it's supposed to serve, because it's thoroughly ineffectual at cable strain relief.

The thought has crossed my mind that it might actually be something designed to facilitate removal of these recklessly undersized IEMs from the sufferer's inner ears by paramedics or other trained medical personnel (or anyone with a steady hand and quick on the draw with a Leatherman tool).

I'm only partially joking. I very recently picked up a pair of these with the intention of using them in portable mode rather than my ER-4S, but didn't like how I had to spend nearly half an hour trying to remove them from my ears. It surprised me that I actually managed to get them out without seeking help. I am returning mine, and think they should officially be declared an unsafe product and removed from the market.

Apr 6, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 7
The strain-relief gaskets on my ER-6i have been yellowed for about a year now, but then again I smoke, so everything plastic around me that's not black turns yellow.

I have not noticed any squeaking. Try wrapping a twist-tie around the "pigtail" cords just under your chin. Seriously reduces microphonics.

Edit: What the hell, seriously you have trouble removing them from your ears? I know it seems un-kosher, but grab the wires and yank 'em out. No problems at all. I've been doing this for four years and zero damage to the IEMs or my ears.

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 7
I've had mine for about 2 years and they have turned a nice shade of yellow also. I haven't developed the queak you're experiencing, but I use the shure soft flex tips and they seem to move alot in my ear - putting less strain on the cable I'm guessing. The Triple flanges tend to anchor the buds in your ear like a rock. Maybe give another style of tip a go?

Apr 7, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 7
Mine is about 2 years old, but I do not have any problem..you might want to contact etymotic, they are really nice and I'm sure they can help you..

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 7
Mine is 3 years and counting. The only problem I have so far is the aging of the tri-flanges which go loose easily and stuck in my ear canal a few times (but I never inserted deep enough that I can't pull it out myself). Just replace the tri-flanges with new gray-ish version and now everything is fine.

You should give Ety a call, maybe they will send you those plastic thingy for free since they are so small and easy replaceable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back