For Hardcore RTS Gamers only... RTS Versus RTS; Which is the strongest RTS ever?
Aug 7, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #31 of 54
Definitely StarCraft. Those were the days when I would actually spend asinine amounts of time gaming... and since it was during my summer break, I actually beat the original StarCraft in one setting, with only bathroom breaks. 27 hours later, I had it beat... and made a vow to never do that again. ^^

~KS

Aug 7, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by GokieKS
Definitely StarCraft. Those were the days when I would actually spend asinine amounts of time gaming... and since it was during my summer break, I actually beat the original StarCraft in one setting, with only bathroom breaks. 27 hours later, I had it beat... and made a vow to never do that again. ^^

~KS

Ahhh...those were the days!
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #33 of 54
frown.gif

everyone misunderstood the point on this thread...

well, alright, if its about the best RTS ever.... well of course, Starcraft it is..
(that is considering the multi player bit)

If its exclusively single player, i think i have to vote for C&C Generals + Zero Hour expansion pack.

Aug 8, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #35 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
frown.gif

everyone misunderstood the point on this thread...

Reading the first post again.. It's still Total Anihilation. Protoss carriers would be taken easily down by a few hundreds stealth fighters and nothing can go through a serious wall of heavy lasers and big berthas. Furthermore, it's as easy to produce rocket launcher vehicles in this game than zerglings. And as a final touch, nuclear missiles can be launched at very long range, are powerful enough to erase a small city and are really useful (no need for ground troops to aim).

This game doesn't carry its name for nothing
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2004 at 8:16 AM Post #38 of 54
Strongest force, huh? Does Star Wars Rebellion count? I try not to even think of it as a game, but it's (sorta) billed as an RTS...

And, well, you can't get much stronger than Super Star Destroyers.
smily_headphones1.gif

~KS

Aug 8, 2004 at 9:45 AM Post #39 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940
Reading the first post again.. It's still Total Anihilation. Protoss carriers would be taken easily down by a few hundreds stealth fighters and nothing can go through a serious wall of heavy lasers and big berthas. Furthermore, it's as easy to produce rocket launcher vehicles in this game than zerglings. And as a final touch, nuclear missiles can be launched at very long range, are powerful enough to erase a small city and are really useful (no need for ground troops to aim).

This game doesn't carry its name for nothing
wink.gif

heehee....no other RTS games have got anti-nukes, except TA
wink.gif

also, to get rid of Protoss Carriers, all you need are a few AA Hovercraft and a couple of Shredder-class AA boats...they really eat ariplanes...the only aircraft that have a chance to get away would be stealth fighters...and then there's the Buzz-saw....

Aug 15, 2004 at 10:39 AM Post #40 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Of all the RTS's I've played. None have surpassed Total Annihilation. It was ahead of it's time, and it's too bad the developers at Cavedog were all laid off ages ago.

-Ed

Total Correctness
I mean, PHYSICS. I cant remember any other RTS out there that actually has gravity. Not to mention the way building things works...

and hey, if you still play... me and my roommate still love the crap outta that game. pm me sometime if ya wanna have a match
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2004 at 10:49 AM Post #41 of 54
I've played a whole bunch of those games..Starcraft was definately cool, but nothing comes close to TA. the way you harvest materials, the way buildings work, the way planes and boats work, the 3D terrain (not silly levels, but actual hills and valleys). I've played it through a couple of times and still start it up now and then.

Aug 15, 2004 at 11:16 AM Post #42 of 54
I actually made dozens of maps ,tilesets and AIs for Total Annihilation
smily_headphones1.gif

My old website ( nowadays only my pal Silencer manages it
wink.gif
) ...
Total Annihilation - Power

And i was reviewer in TAMEC for a while also
smily_headphones1.gif

xantus, i will play when you want now that i have DSL
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #43 of 54
Wow, with all this support for TA, I am seriously thinking about buying this game.

Anyways, is it still available anywhere? I live in Canada.

I was thinking if it were cheap, I'd purchase four copies, and we'd play LAN.

A few more questions.

How does the online multiplayer work? Similar to Battle.net?
Is it easy to play LAN?

Can you play online multiplayer through same computers sharing the same IP via a router? (Starcraft can't do this without horrendous lag, and you can't see each other's messages)

Also.. back when it came out, there were like "units of the week". Is this still available? And wouldn't there be literally thousands of units now? How would you pick which ones to use and which ones not to? And would you have to do this manually?

Aug 16, 2004 at 1:00 AM Post #45 of 54
dark reign did it for me for around 5 years. i learnt how to play the game online, than doing single player.. in the end i still wasn't any good
biggrin.gif

ahh i remember the days of c&c.. going over to the neighbour's house to play as he had a faster computer, then when we had a decent computer we would try a modem game and it would take around 10 goes before a successful connection..

ah those tesla coils.. we called them testicle coils
biggrin.gif

but to answer the question.. i think having 10 or so rifts (from dark reign) would wipe out your base in no time. but having 20 or so stealth tanks would wipe out the rifts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back