For Grado SR-225, is the price jump between getting a Total Bithead and a Headroom Micro DAC/Amp justified?
Dec 12, 2008 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Shexbex

New Head-Fier
I've only just bought a pair of Grado 225s and they're my first proper headphones. They sound much better than anything I've ever heard, but I know I can do even better by getting a DAC and an amplifier. I'm very close to buying the Total Bithead, because I use my computer as a source but I occasionally use my Ipod, however, thankfully money isn't exactly a problem for me and I could also shell out for Headroom Micro Amp and Headroom Micro DAC and they both cost more than the Total Bithead seperately!

I'm obviously slowly becoming an Audiophile, but it doesn't really make sense to shell out so much on both of those and it seems far more logical to go for the Bithead, however I'm curious at HOW much better would the sound be if I go for the more expensive option. Is it really worth the pretty epic jump in price?

Oh, and this question probably needs a different topic, but will I need any additional cables if I buy the bithead? I'm assuming I'll just connect the bithead to the laptop via USB and I'll plug in the grado input into the bithead. (I already have an a 1/4th inch to 1/8th converter for my grado). Is that true?

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
neither are very good, your money would be better spent on an echo indigo and a cheap amp such as cha-47 or meier porta corda

tongue.gif

I think youll find a fair amount of people who like the headroom products myself included.

I was in this situation with the k701s earlier on and I opted for the micro products. I have not heard the bithead but I have heard the ultramicro dac and can say that it provided a sizable jump in SQ so I'm assuming each line of their products offers an increase.

As to what panda is saying, yes there are cheaper amps and dacs out there that may sound as good, possibly better, however it is my opinion that inside a certain price range persay you end up with certain people having different preferences for pieces in that range because they like a certain sound, meaning that its personal preference as to what sounds best to you.

You do gain quite a bit of peace of mind form the guys at headroom. They are good guys over there and their products are pretty bullet proof IMO.

Dave

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 6
I did not have a bithead or the micro dac, but I did upgrade from an airhead to a micro and it was 100% worth it. I was so impressed with that jump in quality, I shipped the micro back and got a desktop. Which I Maxxed a few months ago.

HR makes excellent quality products. I hate when people get on here and say something isn't good. You may have found something you like better, but it doesn't mean the other product stinks. I can tell you from experience the Micro Amp is very good. I had a home dac in my desktop before I maxxed it, and the home is fairly similar to the micro dac. It was a very nice sounding Dac, and will certainly be a huge improvement over the laptop in your soundcard. Plus the service at HR is legendary. A great place to start, and trust me, once you go down this road, your wallet is doomed. Enjoy!

Dec 13, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #6 of 6
I have the Total Bithead - very practical (use inside from soundcard) and with velcro pads nicely attatches to a video (Classic)iPod. Also has a crossfeed filter and can be attached by either USB or RCA - great little amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back