For 600ohms: WA3 or WA3+ with NOS tubes or NOT?
Feb 18, 2010 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TheStixter

New Head-Fier
I mainly listen to hip-hop/rnb and will be using the Beyerdynamic 600ohms phones to monitor, record, and track vocals. Says on the site, WA3+ is better for lower impediance. So is WA better for high impediance? Since there's a lot of bass in rap music, I'd like an OTL that really delivers there. Would upgrading to the NOS tubes make a difference with this? Suggestions?

Feb 19, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 8
Man, NOS tubes make a huge difference. For Hip Hop/ Rap the GEC A1834 will have you addicted like it was Crack. I have the 3+ with some really nice tubes looking for more.

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, NOS tubes make a huge difference. For Hip Hop/ Rap the GEC A1834 will have you addicted like it was Crack. I have the 3+ with some really nice tubes looking for more.

Should I go ahead and order them with the NOS tubes or would you recommend waiting and saving up for the GEC A1834?
jecklinsmile.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #4 of 8
What do you mean NOS "NEW OLD STOCK"? or the tubes he is selling?

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean NOS "NEW OLD STOCK"? or the tubes he is selling?

On his site you can upgrade the WA3+ with a Power tubes upgrade:
Sylvania 7236 NOS for $60. Also...where could I purchase the GEC tubes that you mentioned?

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStixter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mainly listen to hip-hop/rnb and will be using the Beyerdynamic 600ohms phones to monitor, record, and track vocals. Says on the site, WA3+ is better for lower impediance. So is WA better for high impediance? Since there's a lot of bass in rap music, I'd like an OTL that really delivers there. Would upgrading to the NOS tubes make a difference with this? Suggestions?

I recently bought a wa3+ and asked Jack the same question about the difference between the wa3 and wa3+ for high impedance cans, he said the wa3+ was better for high impedance. If you read through the woo 3 modified thread it I think explains why.

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 8
In correspondence with jack when i was trying to select one his amps, he recommended the WA6 or the WA6se for 600 ohm headphones.
the WA3+ does pretty good with higher impedence, though.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStixter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On his site you can upgrade the WA3+ with a Power tubes upgrade:
Sylvania 7236 NOS for $60. Also...where could I purchase the GEC tubes that you mentioned?

I have them from Jack, don't use them though. The Sylvania 7236 is pretty good power tube. To get the GEC's you just have to look and get lucky. I use a Bendix 6080WB and a pair of Rhodium plated Tesla E88cc. I have the GEC A1834, and the Mullard CV2984.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back