For 1st set of headphones, Grado SR-80's or Alessandro MS-1's?
Dec 1, 2004 at 4:07 AM Post #16 of 27
I don't know why there is so much bitching about the grado SR-125's. I have listened to the 60's, 80's, 125's, 225's, and 325's.

60 sounded good, but they lacked detail and highs, period.
80's didn't have enough bass, and had kinda good details.
125's had better detail, the music sounded more "open", I don't know how to explain. The bass was lower, and the highs were clearer. Everything was more clear. And the bass was better than the 80's.

I didn't really notice a difference between the 125's the 225's. The 325 sounded better, but they were out of price range anyway.

I personally have had my grado SR-125 for 3 years, and I've never been that satisfied with headphones. They are awesome, period. Maybe there is better, but I couldn't afford more than 250$CAN. And I've never heard something sound better than my 125's for that price.

Dec 1, 2004 at 5:52 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
sr60 is more expensive than the MS-1 where you live? no brainer then - get the MS-1.

I already have the MS-1 which I presume is similar sounding to the SR-125. I actually like the high end (best part imo, very lively and detailed) and I don't think it sounds very tinny at all infact it seems very natural to me, although I don't have another Grado to campare it against, only my AKG K66 which does sound very tinny (like inside a tin can tinny.. hehe) and muffled aswell; also cheap ear plugs/buds.. well you get the picture
plainface.gif

That's why I'm supprised that some of you to prefer the lowest model in the Grado range? (even tho the lowest in the range is more expensive for some of us) . But I'm only begining to appreciate quality sound as the MS-1 is my first decent pair of headphones, so there is much to learn and money to be spent.
tongue.gif

Dec 1, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Best bass - MS2!!

SR-225 is a close second with a noticeable bass hump

SR-325 is pretty close but the bass is shrouded by the highs.

Its either an SR-225, 325 or MS2 if you are looking at the high end. Of these 3, the MS2 is my favorite. The 225 didnt do anything to me.

I had the SR-60 and the SR-225 and I ended up keeping the SR-60
rolleyes.gif

Go figure...the improvements are there but the jump from SR-60 to SR-225 is not as large as the jump from SR-225 to MS2
eek.gif

gsferrari

Since you said the bass on the SR-325 came pretty close to the MS-2. It sounds like the SR-325 is more flexible and better value than MS-2 since I can swap the SR-325 bowl pad with Vwap mod pad and get EXACTLY the same sound like the MS-2 with the bowl pad. Furthermore, if I need a higher frequency extension on my SR-325 in the future I can always put the bowl pad back on the SR-325.

Am I right or wrong so far

And how do you compare the SR-60 and SR-225? Are you using bowl pad on both of them since someone has mentioned that he like the SR-60(comfy) than RS-1(bowl)
eek.gif

Dec 1, 2004 at 1:20 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmanc
I already have the MS-1 which I presume is similar sounding to the SR-125. I actually like the high end (best part imo, very lively and detailed) and I don't think it sounds very tinny at all infact it seems very natural to me, although I don't have another Grado to campare it against, only my AKG K66 which does sound very tinny (like inside a tin can tinny.. hehe) and muffled aswell; also cheap ear plugs/buds.. well you get the picture
plainface.gif

That's why I'm supprised that some of you to prefer the lowest model in the Grado range? (even tho the lowest in the range is more expensive for some of us) . But I'm only begining to appreciate quality sound as the MS-1 is my first decent pair of headphones, so there is much to learn and money to be spent.
tongue.gif

cmanc, MS-1 has the comfy pad and SR-125 has the bowl pad, the differences between them are day and night. If you put a bowl pad on the MS-1, you will hear a tinny sound too. Some of us prefer the low end SR-60 because they find the comfy pad less brighter than the bowl pad. You are right that MS-1 has similar sounding with the SR-125 in fact both of them have nearly the same specs. Alessandro headphones are analytical which aims to improve on the Grato's headphones. In fact, you have made a good choice with the MS-1 purchase as I find Senheisser are too laidback, boring and Grado are too harsh, bright. Alessandro is the best of both world.

Dec 1, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by josh files
I listen to rock and rap, Going to be coupled with a Zen Touch and A Emu 0404. Please keep in mind I can get the MS-1's for around $25 Dollars Cheaper.

As almost everyone says,you will likely be quite pleased with the ms-1.I have not heard the sr-80 so can't comment on them

Dec 1, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #22 of 27
After hearing the SR-60, 80, 225 and MS-1, my favorites are in following order from best to worse:

MS-1
SR225
SR60
SR80

Although the MS-1 doesn't have the amount of visceral bass of the 225, IMO it had a smoother overall sound whereas the 225 had a piercing high end. If it were a choice between the SR60 and MS-1, I'd still take the MS-1. Better bass and detail, which to me is worth the extra money for them.

Dec 1, 2004 at 9:17 PM Post #23 of 27
i love my Sr-60's, and i consider them to be great value. i thought about getting a set of MS-1's, but i think my next upgrade (after i get my canalphone situation figured out) will be SR-325's. the 325's kick ass, imo.

Dec 1, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #24 of 27
Eek. If you are thinking of getting a 325, seriously consider a MS-2 first. Same price, imho better can. Use the search engine for reviews.

Dec 1, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #25 of 27
Sigh

I was in the same dilemma as you now. I was hesitating between Grado SR890, SR125 and Alessandro MS-1. Finally I made up my decision to pick up Alessandro MS-1. After months, I love MS-1 more and more, which brings me more fun than Sennheiser HD590 and Koss Portapro.
I don't know if I had picked SR80 or SR125, how I felt. But I assure you, MS-1 is at least not a bad choice.

Dec 4, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
After hearing the SR-60, 80, 225 and MS-1, my favorites are in following order from best to worse:

MS-1
SR225
SR60
SR80

Although the MS-1 doesn't have the amount of visceral bass of the 225, IMO it had a smoother overall sound whereas the 225 had a piercing high end. If it were a choice between the SR60 and MS-1, I'd still take the MS-1. Better bass and detail, which to me is worth the extra money for them.

I'm wondering what pads did you use to test the SR-225 and MS-1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back