Foobar2000 layouts and questions
Nov 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

barksdale

Head-Fier
Hi all I haven't posted in a while.

I am giving Foobar2000 a shot.  Usually I use iTunes on Windows 7.

I mainly downloaded it so I can play FLAC and other loseless.  I heard it uses less memory, but that's not really a big deal because I have a good computer.

The main thing is I want to have a nice layout.  The default is too bland for me.  I heard it's a tough program to customize.

The things I like...

-  Album art visible (I have all high quality album art).
-  Easy access to playlists
-  Full information on the song - track, bitrate, track/album title, date of the song, genre, track #, times played, etc.
-  Search bar to quickly search songs.  I have a huge library.

I did one of the built in layouts and it's ok, but it has this ugly spectrogram at the bottom.

Questions:

-  How well does Foobar keep music organized?  When I edit songs in Foobar, will they get changed permanently?  For example iTunes I can change the title of the song and it corrects the actual file in the iTunes folder.  In earlier versions of iTunes I remember it didn't do this though.

-  Is the best way to keep all my music in "my music" folder in Windows?

-  In iTunes I can right click a track and go "Get Info" and if any track #'s are in the wrong order, I can quickly edit all of them without closing the "Get Info" window.  Can I do this in Foobar?

-  Can I change when the duration of the song starts?  For example there are some samples at the start or at the end of songs I don't want to hear.  in iTunes I can set a song to start at 5 seconds instead of 0.

I think that's it.  All I can remember for now.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 16
I don't care about the interface, I had this and i like it:

Anyway, I think that in the official site should be some <skins> or something like that.
Saludos desde Argentina!

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 16
-  Album art visible (I have all high quality album art).
-  Easy access to playlists
-  Full information on the song - track, bitrate, track/album title, date of the song, genre, track #, times played, etc.
-  Search bar to quickly search songs.  I have a huge library.

Something like this?

You can choose the information displayed in the top bar

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 16
ok that's not bad.  Not a fan of the colors but I am sure that is easy to change.

How exactly do I make it like that?

Do you know the answers to my iTunes questions?  I tried looking the song properties and I can see that I can change track #, but not easily like "Get Info" in iTunes.

I also see no way change the starting duration of the song.

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 16

ok that's not bad.  Not a fan of the colors but I am sure that is easy to change.

Mmm.. yes.. but I cant find the skin name, I installed it a couple months ago.. and I cant change the colors (Background, text, etc.)

How exactly do I make it like that?

Cos I can't remember the name view some skins here.. 

Do you know the answers to my iTunes questions?  I tried looking the song properties and I can see that I can change track #, but not easily like "Get Info" in iTunes.

Sorry, I don't use ITunes

I also see no way change the starting duration of the song.

If you are talking about ITunes, I don't know, but if you're not, I don't believe that in foobar will be possible.

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 16
Have you checked these threads yet?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/556919/whats-your-foobar2000-setup
http://www.head-fi.org/t/450700/foobar-2000-screenshot-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/536003/ditch-itunes-get-foobar2000-and-tweak-it-to-your-liking

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 16
hmm I don't really like those skins.

I have played around with the customization inside Foobar2000 but I can't get it exactly how I want.

I want the Library in middle like iTunes.  I like the album art in the bottom left, I have that right now.  Also the information on the right is nice.  I have the searched on the bottom but it's too tiny.

Nov 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
If you like ITunes, use it and don't use foobar..

I got Foobar because of FLAC support and sure, for less memory too.

I don't like having all the additions that come with iTunes...  Quicktime especially.

I just wanted to try something new.

I like Foobar, there are just some basic thinks I want tweaked if possible.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #15 of 16
pretty much, once you get the pane layout how you want.

In Facets, you'll see 3 columns. drag the divider between the 2 columns on the left to the right to hide the 2nd and 3rd column.

Then right click on the title column and choose columns, then enable multiple columns. in the same menu go down to preferences and add in any more sort fields you would like to use.

For my sort I'm using and selected in this order.

1. %album artist% - [%album artist%]
2. %date% - %album% - [%date% - ][%album%]
3. %codec% - [%codec%]

To change the album art size hold ctrl and scroll your mouse wheel when the mouse cursor is over the the facets panel.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back