Foobar2000 Dolby Headphone config - Comment & discuss!
Jul 25, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #676 of 868
Quote:
^ Nice explanation RPG! Color me a "in your face forward config" kinda guy lol!

Yap, I also belong to that camp but I have to admit the laid-back does also sound good for me with orchestra stuff, it's the only kind of music I very much enjoy with that config. :p

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #677 of 868
Hi there,

so i bought Beyerdynamics dt990 pro a week ago. Its a fine pair but the sound is too tiresome for me. I cant figure out if its the bass but it feels the sound is in my head or earcanal and thats too much and hurts.

Using your config its perfect now i would say. The sound is now slightly in front of me and finally i can enjoy it.

But that results in a few question for me: (Not completely OnTopic but maybe someone can help me still)

Is there any way to get this "equalizer" setting onto my computer without using the foobar player ? I know of the Dolby Headphone setting in Realtek Settings, but that sounds too artifical. Reason is i want to use it with grooveshark/soundcloud etc.

And/Or  is there a DAC with similar setting ? I used a Fiio e10 before but it had absolutley zero change in comparison with my onboard soundcard(Realtek). I want to get the sound a little bit more into the front so it doesnt burst my head :)

Or do i have to buy a complete other pair of headphones ? I read so many reviews and "vs" Threads what alternative there is. But i guess in the price range of 140€-200€ those dt990 pro are the best ?!

Anyways thanks very much for this, with foobar and your settings i finally started enjoying my music :)

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #678 of 868
Quote:
Anyways thanks very much for this, with foobar and your settings i finally started enjoying my music :)

Which setting are you using though, "forward" or "laid-back", I guess you must be using the "Laid-back" config or else I don't see how it would be helping your DT990.

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #679 of 868
I use both. The Laidback is a bit too (i dont know the term) "laidback" ?! ^^

So i mainly use the forward setting. I dont know what u mean that it wouldn help my dt990, but it does in my case. ^^

The musik plays a few inches in front of me or feels more open and that does the trick for me. Without foobar everything play in my head going left and right through the ears...and thats too much for longer sessions then 20 minutes.

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #680 of 868
Quote:
I use both. The Laidback is a bit too (i dont know the term) "laidback" ?! ^^

So i mainly use the forward setting. I dont know what u mean that it wouldn help my dt990, but it does in my case. ^^

The musik plays a few inches in front of me or feels more open and that does the trick for me. Without foobar everything play in my head going left and right through the ears...and thats too much for longer sessions then 20 minutes.

Ahh okay, now I understand your problem better. You seem to have a problem with "stereo imaging" with only having left & right side and for your brain it's much more easier to listen to a more "360 degree" (well 180 degree more like) / free-roaming / open soundstage.

If you have problem with DT990 Pro, then you'd have serious issues with AKG K701 :p It's one of the more heavy intense "stereo"-feel listening headphones.

Well I'm glad the config helped you in your case. :)

Aug 4, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #681 of 868
Yes i guess that must be it. I need a wider Soundstage. But i searched the last week and as mentioned, in my price category (150-200euro) i didnt find any headphones with wider soundstage then my current.

So im happy i found a sollution. But i would be great if i could use it outside of foobar :) But thats ok.

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #682 of 868
Quote:
Yes i guess that must be it. I need a wider Soundstage. But i searched the last week and as mentioned, in my price category (150-200euro) i didnt find any headphones with wider soundstage then my current.

So im happy i found a sollution. But i would be great if i could use it outside of foobar :) But thats ok.

Well you can convert the files themselves to be using the same config if that's preferred and then you can use whatever player you want and it will still sound the same. :) There is a "Convert"-function that processes the files themselves with the config used in foobar2000. Simply add files to the playlist and right click it and pick convert and use either the "forward" or "laid-back" config.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #683 of 868
Yes thats a great tip i already read in here, but what i mean is using this setting for everything on my computer...like streaming music sites (grooveshark,soundcloud) and maybe even youtube without foobar or converting files.

Do you know if there is maybe a method with a extern soundcard where i can get a similar effect ? Maybe a DAC ? Im new to audio stuff so as mentioned i just bought an fiio e10, but it has no equalizer or other customization settings.

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #685 of 868
Very good article, good job!

Just tested out the settings from the first post. I am listening on Xonar DG, which does Dolby Headphone in hardware. I was curious if Xonar's DH is better/worse than the foobar plugin. Both require multichannel sound, so first two filters I had to setup. I tried to see if there is a difference between DH + Electri-Q plugins and Xonar in H-Fi mode vs. without these two and Xonar in DH mode. I think Xonar in DH mode does better job than foobar plugins. However I don't know. Any Xonar users, what do you think?

Also, does anyone know how does DH compare to solutions like iCAN 3D sound?

Sep 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #686 of 868
I am really loving your "forward" configuration.

I think the "laid-back" doesn't work for me for one reason. I think some artists make some effects to be heard on headphone, like voices going from one side to the other in the center channel. I notice that in the laid-back some of that effects vanish for being too "laid-back".
Also, the voice is too low and away on "laid-back" so I think that also runs out of the original artist intentions.

Thought, "forward" to me also sound too close, a liiiitle bit more then from stock foobar, correct me if I am wrong.

So, I was wondering, could you also do a configuration with stock foobar center distance but almost like your "forward" configuration?

I think that would be a good "standart" setting, for not modifying so much the original center distance.

Sep 28, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #687 of 868
I think they will be too close. If you prefer that just go into channel mixer and reduce "Front in rear" from 0.94 to 0.71 and "Rear in front" from 1.02 to 1.01. Now it sounds to be roughly like stock foobar2000 in that regard. It's mostly these settings which bring the "center" more forward. (it also looses some vol doing so, so if u want to keep that similar for example bring the vol in Matrix Mixer up from 0.731 to 0.736 or whatever is needed, possibly also raise electri-q's gain to -2.860 or so.

The forward's config is meant to sound slightly more forward and the laid-back slightly positioned back compared to the standard foobar2000 config. Most of the time people prefer either scenarios. For me "sounding as artist originally intended" has very little meaning as I don't expect the original artist to have same taste as me either, well he/she could have but very little chance of being so. I get the ideal listening experience when my senses get what they want to hear. :) My senses for example prefer a fairly in-your-face engaging listening experience which the forward config brings.

I will think about it if I'd also offer a 3rd config though. Would also need to update foobar2000 version for the preconfigured package as there's many newer versions since (I'm still using 1.2.2 myself too on my computer as I'm too lazy to keep updating foobar2000 all the time and doing so is also very boring to switch over the Dolby Headphone settings to it :s).

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #688 of 868
Thanks for the reply.
I really think you are a perfeccionist genius in controlling all this reverb, coloring and ajusting the right ammount of spatial depth thing.
Can't describe how much more I've been enjoying my headphone since I found this topic.
My regards.

Sep 28, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #689 of 868
I agree with Eduardo on the sound of the voice and effects but To me the "laid back" config works great for instrumental jazz or classical so that's what I use the setting for exclusively

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #690 of 868
Hi all! Great topic, and exellent job, RPGWiZaRD!!
Today I did some recordings with Windows Stereo Mix+Audacity->24/48.
Creative Player+X-Fi CMSS-3D
fb2k5.1.record test - forward
fb2k5.1.record test - Laid - Back
fb2k.v1.2.9.record test.24/48Khz->DSP setings
Winamp.record test.24/48Khz

Motherboard: GA-F2A85X-UP4 (rev. 1.0).
Windows Audio Settings: In Realtek HD is set to 5.1.
Audio Drivers - Latest stable daniel_k Realtek HDA X-Fi moded.
Sound Blaster X-Fi MB - original creative source.
Headphones: AKG K44 Perception.
Creative Console Settings: Headphones, EAX->Jazz Club->Effects Amount -60db,
Bass Boost(enabled)->Level: 3.0db, Cutoff Freq - 52Hz.
X-Fi Crystalizer->100%, Graphic EQ sett's:
31Hz - 0.0db
62Hz - 3.4db
125Hz - 3.4db
250Hz - 3.1db
500Hz - 0.0db
1K - 0.7db
2K - 1.1db
4K - 1.6
8K - 2.3db
16K - 3.4db

After you listen to the demos, if anyone wants